Apr 3, 2014, 8:25 AM EDT
WASHINGTON — NBC’s Willie Geist proposed a Fall Olympics so that Lauryn Williams could pick up a third sport at the Best of U.S. Awards on Wednesday night.
He’s not the only one pushing Williams to continue competing.
Williams, 30, became the fifth person to win Winter and Summer Olympic medals in different disciplines with her bobsled silver medal in Sochi. She also won two track and field medals over three Games, announcing her retirement from sprinting last year.
It also appears she’s finished bobsledding after one very successful season.
“I think I’m done with sports as an active competitor,” Williams said while holding all three of her Olympic medals Wednesday. “I’m ready to move on, I think … I think.”
Olympic bobsled teammate Elana Meyers may have something to say about that.
Meyers has joined the USA Rugby team and is currently in China for her first-ever tournament. Rugby sevens makes its Olympic debut in Rio de Janeiro in 2016.
“[Meyers] has been recruiting me, diligently, daily [to rugby],” Williams said. “It falls on deaf ears at the moment, but I never say never either.”
Williams has plenty of goals away from competition, though some still involve track and field and bobsled. She blogged about some of them.
She eyes building up the proposed American Track and Field League, a series of meets in the U.S., and generating revenue sharing among track and field athletes.
- Michael Phelps, Ryan Lochte split duels in Mesa 0
- Boston Marathon preview: Can Meb Keflezighi repeat? 0
- Michael Phelps jokingly challenges Katie Ledecky to race 1
- Debbie Phelps texted Michael Phelps about Rio 2016 years ago (video) 0
- Yevgeny Plushenko to return to figure skating competition 1
- Michael Phelps back with ‘OK’ victory in Mesa 1
- Michael Phelps could be offered World Championships spot by FINA 0
- Emotional Bode Miller medals in race that mattered most (61)
- Russian women kissing after relay victory at World Championships causes stir (60)
- IOC drops wrestling from 2020 Olympics (47)
- South Korea filing official complaint over Yuna Kim’s Olympic silver (39)
- Zola Budd, 47, dominates college runners in 5K (33)