Apr 3, 2014, 8:25 AM EST
WASHINGTON — NBC’s Willie Geist proposed a Fall Olympics so that Lauryn Williams could pick up a third sport at the Best of U.S. Awards on Wednesday night.
He’s not the only one pushing Williams to continue competing.
Williams, 30, became the fifth person to win Winter and Summer Olympic medals in different disciplines with her bobsled silver medal in Sochi. She also won two track and field medals over three Games, announcing her retirement from sprinting last year.
It also appears she’s finished bobsledding after one very successful season.
“I think I’m done with sports as an active competitor,” Williams said while holding all three of her Olympic medals Wednesday. “I’m ready to move on, I think … I think.”
Olympic bobsled teammate Elana Meyers may have something to say about that.
Meyers has joined the USA Rugby team and is currently in China for her first-ever tournament. Rugby sevens makes its Olympic debut in Rio de Janeiro in 2016.
“[Meyers] has been recruiting me, diligently, daily [to rugby],” Williams said. “It falls on deaf ears at the moment, but I never say never either.”
Williams has plenty of goals away from competition, though some still involve track and field and bobsled. She blogged about some of them.
She eyes building up the proposed American Track and Field League, a series of meets in the U.S., and generating revenue sharing among track and field athletes.
- Maksim Kovtun rallies to win Trophee Bompard; Grand Prix Final picture 0
- Ashley Wagner in Grand Prix Final fight after finishing behind Russians at Trophee Bompard 0
- Angelina Jolie showed Louis Zamperini scenes of ‘Unbroken’ on hospital bed 0
- Joss Christensen becomes ‘mountain man’ since Sochi Olympics 0
- IOC proposes adding Olympic events, bid reforms 0
- Ryan Lochte: I have no doubt Michael Phelps will come back 1
- Doha gets 2019 World Track and Field Championships over Eugene, Barcelona 2
- Emotional Bode Miller medals in race that mattered most (61)
- Russian women kissing after relay victory at World Championships causes stir (60)
- IOC drops wrestling from 2020 Olympics (47)
- South Korea filing official complaint over Yuna Kim’s Olympic silver (39)
- Zola Budd, 47, dominates college runners in 5K (33)