Catching up with Shawn Johnson

Mar 31, 2014, 2:42 PM EST

Shawn Johnson Getty Images

Shawn Johnson has kept plenty busy since her four-medal performance at the 2008 Olympics.

The gymnast won “Dancing with the Stars” in 2009, made a run at the 2012 Olympics after tearing an ACL skiing and then retired two months before the London Games due to the knee injury.

Johnson went back on “Dancing with the Stars” for an all-star edition later in 2012 and recently started taking college classes.

OlympicTalk recently caught up with Johnson to look back on her career, discuss her future and analyze the current gymnastics scene:

OlympicTalk: You’re in college now, what are you studying?

Johnson: I’m a freshman at Vanderbilt, studying sports psychology and dietetics. I want to turn it around in the sport. I want to give back to gymnastics.

OlympicTalk: What’s the classroom setting like?

Johnson: I haven’t really been in a classroom setting yet. I’m going to be a full-time student next fall. But I’ve done a lot of online.

OlympicTalk: Why Vanderbilt?

Johnson: I already live in Nashville, so it was already kind of a perfect fit. I lived in LA for a while. It’s a little bit too big of a city for me, seeing as I’m from Des Moines, Iowa. And then I found Nashville, was interested in Vanderbilt and moved there. My best friend lives there. It kind of all fell together.

OlympicTalk: What are your first memories of the 2008 Olympics?

Johnson: I would say the team competition was the epitome of the Olympics for me, being able to work together, compete together and earn a (silver) medal. It’s everything that I had dreamed of and worked for.

OlympicTalk: Would you change anything about your comeback in 2010 in hindsight?

Johnson: Not at all. It wasn’t exactly like I dreamed or planned because I wanted to be on that (Olympic) team, but I don’t think I would have come back if it weren’t for my knee injury. That was kind of the motivation behind it, and that ultimately is what ended my career. It was a great learning experience. I wouldn’t change it.

source: Getty Images

Shawn Johnson won one gold (balance beam) and three silvers at the Beijing Olympics. (Getty Images)

OlympicTalk: Which current gymnast do you like to watch?

Johnson: She’s not a senior yet, but her name is Norah Flatley (14 years old, on the Junior National Team). She’s a Chow’s gymnast (training under Liang Chow, Johnson’s longtime coach in Iowa). She worked under me. She’s almost a mini-me. She’ll be in the 2016 Olympics if I’m putting my money on it.

OlympicTalk: No U.S. woman has made back-to-back Olympic teams since 2000. What do you attribute that to?

Johnson: Our difficulty level. I think our girls are so far ahead of other gymnasts and other countries. We choose such difficulty that we almost burn our girls out too early. It works for us. We bring the medals back and everything, but I think it’s a lifestyle. We have the freedom to kind of move into other things, where other countries make a living off of it.

OlympicTalk: Can you compare/contrast your 2008 Olympic Team to the 2012 Fierce Five?

Johnson: No comparison to 2012, but I think the 2008 team was really great because we had our team leader, Alicia Sacramone. She was like the mom. She kept us all grounded and sane and not distracted. We had strengths from every other girl. Sam Peszek was awesome. She was good on every event. Bridget Sloan, Chellsie Memmel, Nastia Liukin, obviously, she won everything. We had a really good team bond, and we were a family. So, it worked well.

OlympicTalk: Do you still talk to Liukin?

Johnson: We don’t talk very much. She is a busy, busy girl. As am I. All of our lives have gone different directions, but we keep in touch every once in a while. Alicia just got married, so we were all celebrating that. I guess we’re growing up a little bit.

OlympicTalk: You’ve said you want to run a marathon?

Johnson: I’m still recovering from injuries from my sport, so I’ve been out of commission for the last year, not able to work out or do anything. My goals are definitely physical, trying to get back in shape and back into everything. So a marathon would be amazing. I have a crazy idea for an Ironman one day.

OlympicTalk: Why an Ironman?

Johnson: Just because it’s so extreme. The Olympics are extreme, so why not an Ironman? I hate running in general, I feel like I would drown, and I don’t really own a bike. So it doesn’t make sense, but I’ll accomplish it someday. I’m a competitor.

OlympicTalk: So you’re still dealing with injuries?

Johnson: Some nagging stuff. I also love to work out, so I never stop. My doctor finally made me stop for a year. I’m finally getting back to it.

The Olympic All-Star baseball team

Latest Posts
  1. Watch Rio Olympic Park transformation, timelapse videos

Feb 27, 2015, 3:55 PM EST

Rio Olympic Park

Rio government organization published two videos looking at the construction of Olympic Park.

2. Tour de France winner Vincenzo Nibali’s team may lose license

Feb 27, 2015, 2:22 PM EST

AP AP

Nibali might not be able to defend his Tour de France title as an Astana rider.

3. World’s most athletic couple takes the next leap

Feb 27, 2015, 12:52 PM EST

Ashton Eaton, Brianne Theisen Eaton AP

Ashton Eaton, Brianne Theisen-Eaton are taking different paths to potential gold in Rio.

4. IOC executive board proposes rule change for athletes, sponsors during Olympics

Feb 27, 2015, 9:00 AM EST

Witters Sport via US PRESSWIRE Witters Sport via US PRESSWIRE

“Athletes have wanted this changed for a very long time. It’s been a very long discussion.”

5. Is Simone Biles unbeatable?

Feb 26, 2015, 4:48 PM EST

Getty Images Getty Images

U.S. Olympic legend said yes. Top U.S. gymnast says no.

6. Elana Meyers Taylor in line for history at bobsled World Championships

Feb 26, 2015, 10:48 AM EST

Elana Meyers Taylor Getty Images

Meanwhile, the Olympic champion is well back in Winterberg.

7. Bernard Lagat cancels farewell tour with Rio in mind

Feb 25, 2015, 3:34 PM EST

AP AP

“Would I really slow down that much that I wouldn’t make the (Olympic) team? I don’t think so.”

8. Duel in the Pool returns to U.S.

Feb 25, 2015, 12:17 PM EST

Duel in the Pool Getty Images

The U.S. is undefeated in six editions of the Ryder Cup-style event.

9. Rio Olympics could have multiple cauldrons

Feb 25, 2015, 10:37 AM EST

Pan American Games cauldron Getty Images

The Opening and Closing ceremonies will be held at a venue separate from the Olympic Stadium for track and field.

10. Former WNBA No. 1 draft pick switches from U.S. to Belarus

Feb 24, 2015, 11:08 AM EST

Lindsey Harding Getty Images

The only NCAA Player of the Year winner since 1997 not to play for the U.S. at a Worlds or Olympics.

11. U.S. cross-country skiers share historic podium at World Championships (video)

Feb 24, 2015, 10:35 AM EST

Jessie Diggins, Caitlin Gregg Getty Images

Olympians nearly double the previous U.S. tally for World Championships medals.

12. Behind the scenes of Miracle on Ice reunion

Feb 24, 2015, 10:30 AM EST

AP AP

Inside the locker room with the players and more.

13. Nastia Liukin adds to history of Olympians on ‘Dancing With the Stars’

Feb 24, 2015, 9:32 AM EST

Nastia Liukin Getty Images

Liukin is the third U.S. Olympic champion gymnast to go on the show.

14. Mikaela Shiffrin wins Maribor slalom, snags World Cup lead in teenage finale (video)

Feb 22, 2015, 8:51 AM EST

Getty Images Getty Images

Shiffrin won her 13th World Cup race as a teen, bettered by only one woman in history.

15. Kyla Ross commits to UCLA

Feb 22, 2015, 8:19 AM EST

Getty Images Getty Images

Ross joins a long line of Olympic women’s gymnasts to choose UCLA.

16. Michael Phelps gets engaged (photos)

Feb 22, 2015, 8:06 AM EST

Michael Phelps

Phelps is expected to return to competition following his suspension in April.

17. ‘Relive the Miracle’ reunion emotional for 1980 U.S. Olympic hockey team

Feb 21, 2015, 11:45 PM EST

AP AP

All living members joked and reminisced in the “Relive the Miracle” ceremony at Herb Brooks Arena.

18. Mike Eruzione, Miracle teammates remember Bob Suter, recall 1980 memories

Feb 21, 2015, 4:00 PM EST

AP AP

Look for more on the Miracle on Ice reunion on NBC’s Hockey Day in American coverage on Sunday at noon ET.

19. Lindsey Vonn falls in Maribor giant slalom (video)

Feb 21, 2015, 8:14 AM EST

Getty Images Getty Images

Vonn “looked in pain and limped,” according to The Associated Press.