Mar 21, 2014, 9:16 AM EDT
Alexandre Bilodeau, the first freestyle skier to win multiple Olympic gold medals, will ski competitively for the last time on Friday.
The Canadian Freesyle Ski Association confirmed Bilodeau’s statements from during and before the Sochi Olympics that he will retire after this World Cup season, which ends in La Plagne, France, on Friday, according to the Canadian Press.
Bilodeau, 26, has said it’s been his plan since 2010 to retire after the 2013-14 season.
He exits as one of Canada’s greatest Olympians. He won the nation’s first gold at a Canada-hosted Olympics at Vancouver 2010, after Canadians were shut out of golds at Montreal 1976 and Calgary 1988.
Bilodeau successfully defended his title in Sochi, relegating countryman and two-time reigning World Cup champion Mikael Kingsbury to silver last month. Bilodeau is 31 World Cup points behind Kingsbury for this year’s title going into the final event.
Bilodeau has said he wants to focus on his accounting career once finished with skiing.
Other great Canadian Olympians include four-time gold medalist hockey players Hayley Wickenheiser, Jayna Hefford and Caroline Ouellette, speed skaters Cindy Klassen and Clara Hughes (six medals each, though two of Hughes’ were in cycling) and short track speed skaters Marc Gagnon (five medals) and Charles Hamelin (four medals).
Perhaps the most notable Canadian Summer Olympian is Donovan Bailey, who won double gold in 1996 in the 100m and 4x100m relay.
Today is a special day for me and I'm planning to enjoy every moment of it.—
Alex Bilodeau (@ABilodeau_ski) March 21, 2014
- Haley Anderson wins Pan Pacs open-water 10K by .01 after jellyfish sting, move to Maui 0
- Gwen Jorgensen wins World Championship in triathlon 0
- How the FIBA World Cup impacts the Olympics 0
- Gwen Jorgensen’s glory awaits in Edmonton 0
- Tyson Gay last place in Zurich; Jenny Simpson leads U.S. winners (video) 0
- Youth Olympics wrap with Closing Ceremony, Lionel Messi cameo (photos) 0
- U.S. finishes Youth Olympics with 22 medals, 10 golds 1
- Emotional Bode Miller medals in race that mattered most (61)
- Russian women kissing after relay victory at World Championships causes stir (57)
- IOC drops wrestling from 2020 Olympics (47)
- South Korea filing official complaint over Yuna Kim’s Olympic silver (38)
- Zola Budd, 47, dominates college runners in 5K (33)