Mar 20, 2014, 11:04 AM EDT
Oscar Pistorius is selling his home where he shot and killed girlfriend Reeva Steenkamp to pay for legal costs associated with his ongoing murder trial.
Pistorius, the first double amputee to run in the Olympics in 2012, “cannot contemplate ever returning to live there again,” lawyer Brian Webber said in a statement.
Pistorius has had access to the house, valued at over $450,000 at last year’s bail hearing, for over a year but hasn’t returned, leaving it sealed.
Pistorius shot four times through a bathroom door, hitting Steenkamp inside his Pretoria, South Africa, home on the early morning of Valentine’s Day 2013.
Pistorius has said he fired thinking there was an intruder locked inside the bathroom. Prosecutors say he fatally shot Steenkamp after an argument that night. He could face 25 years in prison if convicted of premeditated murder.
The trial concluded its 13th day Wednesday, and the prosecution expects to close its case early next week. The trial will resume Monday, and it could last into April and longer. The increasing legal fees with a longer trial caused Pistorius to sell his home.
“Due to the delay in finalizing the trial, the decision to urgently dispose of his single biggest asset, has had to be made,” the statement read.
Sep 23, 2014, 9:27 AM EDT
Olympic champion’s scheduled Grand Prix events are in November.
Sep 23, 2014, 8:43 AM EDT
Chinese Olympic champion evens head to head with Japan’s rising star in Incheon.
Sep 22, 2014, 3:41 PM EDT
Canadians not ruling out return to ice dancing.
Sep 22, 2014, 2:49 PM EDT
Raty nearly did something two Canadian Olympic women’s goalies couldn’t do against the men.
Sep 22, 2014, 1:41 PM EDT
U.S. women must cut one more player before FIBA World Championships.
Sep 22, 2014, 1:15 PM EDT
London Games voted No. 1 overall.
Sep 22, 2014, 12:23 PM EDT
Figure skater to be questioned over doping by her ex-boyfriend, Olympic champ race walker.
Sep 22, 2014, 11:56 AM EDT
World’s greatest swimmer on display at Asian Games.
Sep 22, 2014, 10:55 AM EDT
Lead cyclist hits fence, trailing cyclist breaks pelvis.
Sep 22, 2014, 8:35 AM EDT
Upset of dynastic Brazil sets off bedlam inside arena, outside streets for host nation.
Sep 22, 2014, 7:35 AM EDT
Walsh Jennings, Ross played with interesting keys looped through chains Sunday.
Sep 22, 2014, 7:08 AM EDT
Uzbekistan gymnast has competed at World Championships since 1991.
Sep 21, 2014, 8:48 AM EDT
Ledecky broke five world records in two months this year.
Sep 21, 2014, 8:31 AM EDT
“I would be 36 for Rio. That’s probably just getting on a bit too much.”
Sep 19, 2014, 2:31 PM EDT
Spearmon lost a 2008 Olympic medal due to disqualification and finished fourth in the 2012 Olympic 200m.
Sep 19, 2014, 10:21 AM EDT
Komova won Olympic all-around silver behind Gabby Douglas.
Sep 19, 2014, 8:49 AM EDT
There was concern Olympic host nation wouldn’t be able to qualify in hockey.
Sep 19, 2014, 8:02 AM EDT
Olympic medalist skater could be called in for later hearing.
Sep 18, 2014, 4:50 PM EDT
Three-time Olympian rides into retirement by entering history books.
Sep 18, 2014, 3:06 PM EDT
Work expected to finish in the first half of 2016.
- Kosuke Hagino: I’m trying to become like Michael Phelps 0
- Poland wins World Volleyball Championship at home, pandemonium (photos, videos) 0
- Kerri Walsh Jennings, April Ross complete perfect AVP season after wardrobe malfunction 0
- Katie Ledecky wins USA Swimming Athlete of the Year; who are World Swimmers of the Year? 0
- Wallace Spearmon fails drug test, banned 3 months 0
- Ato Boldon’s track and field season awards 1
- Analyzing the U.S. gymnastics women’s World Championships team 0
- Emotional Bode Miller medals in race that mattered most (61)
- Russian women kissing after relay victory at World Championships causes stir (57)
- IOC drops wrestling from 2020 Olympics (47)
- South Korea filing official complaint over Yuna Kim’s Olympic silver (39)
- Zola Budd, 47, dominates college runners in 5K (33)