Mar 20, 2014, 11:04 AM EST
Oscar Pistorius is selling his home where he shot and killed girlfriend Reeva Steenkamp to pay for legal costs associated with his ongoing murder trial.
Pistorius, the first double amputee to run in the Olympics in 2012, “cannot contemplate ever returning to live there again,” lawyer Brian Webber said in a statement.
Pistorius has had access to the house, valued at over $450,000 at last year’s bail hearing, for over a year but hasn’t returned, leaving it sealed.
Pistorius shot four times through a bathroom door, hitting Steenkamp inside his Pretoria, South Africa, home on the early morning of Valentine’s Day 2013.
Pistorius has said he fired thinking there was an intruder locked inside the bathroom. Prosecutors say he fatally shot Steenkamp after an argument that night. He could face 25 years in prison if convicted of premeditated murder.
The trial concluded its 13th day Wednesday, and the prosecution expects to close its case early next week. The trial will resume Monday, and it could last into April and longer. The increasing legal fees with a longer trial caused Pistorius to sell his home.
“Due to the delay in finalizing the trial, the decision to urgently dispose of his single biggest asset, has had to be made,” the statement read.
- Maksim Kovtun rallies to win Trophee Bompard; Grand Prix Final picture 0
- Ashley Wagner in Grand Prix Final fight after finishing behind Russians at Trophee Bompard 0
- Angelina Jolie showed Louis Zamperini scenes of ‘Unbroken’ on hospital bed 0
- Joss Christensen becomes ‘mountain man’ since Sochi Olympics 0
- IOC proposes adding Olympic events, bid reforms 0
- Ryan Lochte: I have no doubt Michael Phelps will come back 1
- Doha gets 2019 World Track and Field Championships over Eugene, Barcelona 2
- Emotional Bode Miller medals in race that mattered most (61)
- Russian women kissing after relay victory at World Championships causes stir (60)
- IOC drops wrestling from 2020 Olympics (47)
- South Korea filing official complaint over Yuna Kim’s Olympic silver (39)
- Zola Budd, 47, dominates college runners in 5K (33)