Mar 17, 2014, 10:32 AM EDT
Olympic gold medalists Adelina Sotnikova, Tatyana Volosozhar and Maksim Trankov will not compete at next week’s World Championships, the Russian figure skating federation said Monday.
The women’s champion Sotnikova and pairs champions Volosozhar and Trankov were listed as alternates for the event in Saitama, Japan, that begins next Monday.
The federation did not send Sotnikova to give the 17-year-old an opportunity to rest and prepare for next season, it said. Volosozhar and Trankov are skipping the event.
Olympic team event gold medalist Yulia Lipnitskaya is part of the Russian team instead.
The World Championships are also without Olympic ice dance champions Meryl Davis and Charlie White, who are competing on “Dancing with the Stars.” Silver medalists Yuna Kim (retiring) and Patrick Chan and Tessa Virtue and Scott Moir are also out.
- Queen photobombs Commonwealth Games athlete selfie 0
- Brazil eyes 27 to 30 medals at Rio Olympics 0
- Usain Bolt not happy with Tyson Gay’s reduced ban 1
- Gabby Douglas helps girl’s dream come true with Make-A-Wish 0
- Guide to the Commonwealth Games 0
- 90-plus-year-old men set 3 world relay records at USATF Masters 0
- Pyeongchang 2018 Winter Olympics chief quits 0
- Emotional Bode Miller medals in race that mattered most (61)
- Russian women kissing after relay victory at World Championships causes stir (56)
- IOC drops wrestling from 2020 Olympics (47)
- South Korea filing official complaint over Yuna Kim’s Olympic silver (38)
- Zola Budd, 47, dominates college runners in 5K (33)