Mar 17, 2014, 10:32 AM EST
Olympic gold medalists Adelina Sotnikova, Tatyana Volosozhar and Maksim Trankov will not compete at next week’s World Championships, the Russian figure skating federation said Monday.
The women’s champion Sotnikova and pairs champions Volosozhar and Trankov were listed as alternates for the event in Saitama, Japan, that begins next Monday.
The federation did not send Sotnikova to give the 17-year-old an opportunity to rest and prepare for next season, it said. Volosozhar and Trankov are skipping the event.
Olympic team event gold medalist Yulia Lipnitskaya is part of the Russian team instead.
The World Championships are also without Olympic ice dance champions Meryl Davis and Charlie White, who are competing on “Dancing with the Stars.” Silver medalists Yuna Kim (retiring) and Patrick Chan and Tessa Virtue and Scott Moir are also out.
- Maksim Kovtun rallies to win Trophee Bompard; Grand Prix Final picture 0
- Ashley Wagner in Grand Prix Final fight after finishing behind Russians at Trophee Bompard 0
- Angelina Jolie showed Louis Zamperini scenes of ‘Unbroken’ on hospital bed 1
- Joss Christensen becomes ‘mountain man’ since Sochi Olympics 0
- IOC proposes adding Olympic events, bid reforms 0
- Ryan Lochte: I have no doubt Michael Phelps will come back 1
- Doha gets 2019 World Track and Field Championships over Eugene, Barcelona 2
- Emotional Bode Miller medals in race that mattered most (61)
- Russian women kissing after relay victory at World Championships causes stir (60)
- IOC drops wrestling from 2020 Olympics (47)
- South Korea filing official complaint over Yuna Kim’s Olympic silver (39)
- Zola Budd, 47, dominates college runners in 5K (33)