Mar 17, 2014, 10:32 AM EST
Olympic gold medalists Adelina Sotnikova, Tatyana Volosozhar and Maksim Trankov will not compete at next week’s World Championships, the Russian figure skating federation said Monday.
The women’s champion Sotnikova and pairs champions Volosozhar and Trankov were listed as alternates for the event in Saitama, Japan, that begins next Monday.
The federation did not send Sotnikova to give the 17-year-old an opportunity to rest and prepare for next season, it said. Volosozhar and Trankov are skipping the event.
Olympic team event gold medalist Yulia Lipnitskaya is part of the Russian team instead.
The World Championships are also without Olympic ice dance champions Meryl Davis and Charlie White, who are competing on “Dancing with the Stars.” Silver medalists Yuna Kim (retiring) and Patrick Chan and Tessa Virtue and Scott Moir are also out.
- Mikaela Shiffrin: ‘I’m trying to show people what’s not impossible’ 0
- Katie Ledecky faces decisions in 2015, 2016 0
- Michael Phelps back in the pool; Phelps, Ledecky win Golden Goggles 2
- Viktor Tikhonov, Soviet Union Olympic hockey coach, dies at 84 1
- Sun Yang failed drug test, served three-month ban 0
- Rio 2016 Olympic, Paralympic mascots unveiled (video) 0
- Maksim Kovtun rallies to win Trophee Bompard (video); Grand Prix Final picture 0
- Emotional Bode Miller medals in race that mattered most (61)
- Russian women kissing after relay victory at World Championships causes stir (60)
- IOC drops wrestling from 2020 Olympics (47)
- South Korea filing official complaint over Yuna Kim’s Olympic silver (39)
- Zola Budd, 47, dominates college runners in 5K (33)