Mar 15, 2014, 2:09 PM EST
Ukraine’s silver medal-winning cross-country relay team covered their medals with their hands during the Russian national anthem in an awards ceremony at the Paralympics in Sochi on Saturday.
Russian forces have been in the Ukraine region of Crimea since late last month. Here’s NBC News’ coverage of the Crimea situation.
“It is a silent protest, fighting for peace for everyone … because the situation in Ukraine didn’t change,” said Ukraine team official Nataliya Harach, according to The Associated Press. “It is not a political protest … we don’t want any disqualifications.”
Russia won the gold medal in the 4×2.5km cross-country relay, so its anthem was played during the podium ceremony Saturday. Ukraine won silver ahead of France.
Ukraine made news at the Opening Ceremony on March 7, when only one of its athletes marched at Fisht Stadium, its flag bearer. The Paralympics finish Sunday.
- Tara Lipinski, Johnny Weir at Super Bowl Media Day (video) 0
- Galen Rupp talks training with Mo Farah, marathons, weird drug test story 0
- Russian Olympic, World champions get doping bans 0
- Lindsey Vonn, Mikaela Shiffrin lead World Alpine Skiing Championships women’s preview 1
- Rio 2016 Olympic torch relay details announced 0
- K.C. Boutiette returns to World Cup speed skating for first time since 2006 0
- Tori Bowie ‘going after medals’ after breakthrough season 0
- Emotional Bode Miller medals in race that mattered most (61)
- Russian women kissing after relay victory at World Championships causes stir (60)
- IOC drops wrestling from 2020 Olympics (47)
- South Korea filing official complaint over Yuna Kim’s Olympic silver (39)
- Zola Budd, 47, dominates college runners in 5K (33)