Mar 14, 2014, 12:59 PM EST
Lais Souza is learning to use an electric wheelchair, more than six weeks after she was paralyzed in a skiing accident before she hoped to compete in the Sochi Olympics as an aerialist.
The Brazilian, a two-time Olympic gymnast, completed her first week of rehabilitation in Miami, according to the Brazil Olympic Committee.
Souza said she’s feeling better, is ready to face what lies ahead and thanked her supporters in a statement.
Souza hit a tree skiing in Utah on Jan. 27, suffering a spine injury and being left unable to move her arms and legs.
- Tori Bowie ‘going after medals’ after breakthrough season 0
- Yohan Blake details ‘dreams’ for 2015 0
- South Korean Olympic swim champ Park Tae-hwan fails drug test 1
- Jason Brown wins first U.S. figure skating title 2
- Lindsey Vonn wins final race before World Championships (video) 0
- Ashley Wagner shatters records for third U.S. figure skating title 3
- Chloe Kim wins Winter X Games halfpipe at age 14 0
- Emotional Bode Miller medals in race that mattered most (61)
- Russian women kissing after relay victory at World Championships causes stir (60)
- IOC drops wrestling from 2020 Olympics (47)
- South Korea filing official complaint over Yuna Kim’s Olympic silver (39)
- Zola Budd, 47, dominates college runners in 5K (33)