Mar 13, 2014, 10:39 AM EDT
It’s not often kids hear from their heroes, but that’s just what happened to Jet Feirn, 9, on Tuesday.
Jet wrote a letter to Shaun White 15 months ago after being told by his mom that he was born with the same heart defect as White. Feirn and White also share a love for snowboarding, as NBC KARE 11 in Minnesota reports.
Jet was born less than four pounds with the heart defect tetralogy of Fallot, leading to two open-heart surgeries before kindergarten, according to the report.
The TV station first aired a piece on Feirn’s letter for White last month. A viewer with connections to White noticed and made sure the Olympic champion got the message.
White wrote back. Feirn received an autographed snowboard, helmet, goggles, a backpack and a poster on Tuesday.
- World Swimming Championships women’s preview 0
- World Swimming Championships men’s preview 2
- Beijing to host 2022 Winter Olympics; first city to hold Summer and Winter Games 4
- USOC collecting data on polluted Rio Olympic water venues 0
- World Swimming Championships broadcast schedule 0
- Almaty or Beijing? IOC set to choose 2022 Winter Olympic host 2
- Allyson Felix to run 400m at World Championships 1
- Emotional Bode Miller medals in race that mattered most (61)
- Russian women kissing after relay victory at World Championships causes stir (60)
- IOC drops wrestling from 2020 Olympics (47)
- South Korea filing official complaint over Yuna Kim’s Olympic silver (39)
- Zola Budd, 47, dominates college runners in 5K (33)