Bode Miller makes podium at World Cup Finals; Svindal concedes overall title

Mar 13, 2014, 6:03 AM EDT

Bode Miller Getty Images

Bode Miller finished third in the World Cup Finals super-G, while overall leader Aksel Lund Svindal was a disappointing 16th and conceded he will fall from the top of the standings over the final two races.

The six-time Olympic medalist Miller appeared to agonizingly miss his first World Cup win since 2011 by .01 of a second until the 26th and final skier, France’s Alexis Pinturault, nabbed victory in 1 minute, 13.71 seconds in Lenzerheide, Switzerland, on Thursday.

“It’s been a tough year,” said Miller, the Sochi Olympic super-G bronze medalist. “This kind of capped it off. I was happy with my attack today. I definitely skied like I wanted to win the race, which has been a challenge all year. Every time I ski hard, I crash or make such big mistakes. Unfortunately today was no different. … I just had 2.5 seconds worth of mistakes, probably, on that run.”

Pinturault, known for his giant slalom and slalom skills, won his first career World Cup super-G. Countryman Thomas Mermillod Blondin was second, .56 of a second behind, followed by Miller at .57.

Miller earned his fourth podium finish of the season after missing all of 2012-13 following knee surgery. He ranks seventh in the overall standings and is the only man in the top 11 without a race win this year.

“It’s been unbelievable frustrating to have the skiing be so fast that I feel like I could win almost every race, then come away with no wins at all,” Miller said. “Even though I’m old, I’m not like broken down, really. Mentally, I think I’m as tough as any of these kids.”

The Norwegian Svindal entered the race having already clinched the season title in the super-G, but he continued his pedestrian recent form by finishing 16th.

Svindal hasn’t made a race podium since Jan. 26 — including the Olympics — and matched his worst super-G result in three years.

By contrast, Svindal’s rival for the overall title, Austrian Marcel Hirscher, was 12th in just his sixth super-G start in the last four years. Hirscher cut Svindal’s overall lead down to 19 points with two races left.

Those two races are a giant slalom Saturday and a slalom Sunday. Hirscher is a better giant slalom skier than Svindal and the reigning world champion and World Cup champion in slalom. Svindal said he won’t race the slalom and conceded the overall title to Hirscher after the super-G.

“It’s not the way I wanted to end it,” Svindal said. “It puts me out of the chase for the overall title, what can you do.

“I wasn’t good enough [Thursday].”

Olympic giant slalom champion Ted Ligety took fifth and fell from third to fourth in the overall standings, behind Pinturault by 50 points.

“I’m happy with being fifth place, that’s for sure,” Ligety said. “Definitely one of my better super-G results. I definitely feel like there’s a lot more speed on the hill that I left up there, but to get a top five is still a good day.”

Ligety now moves onto the giant slalom Saturday, where he needs Hirscher to finish off the podium to have any chance of repeating as the season champion in that discipline.

“I feel like I have a good chance of getting in there and hopefully winning,” Ligety said. “I don’t know how good of a chance I have of Marcel not getting on the podium. It’s going to be tough.”

Lenzerheide super-G

5. Bode Miller (USA) — 220

Video: Hoefl-Riesch crashes in downhill

Latest Posts
  1. USOC collecting data on polluted Rio Olympic water venues

Jul 30, 2015, 3:42 PM EDT

AP AP

A US Sailing official maintained his stance on the Rio water from last year.

2. Which Miracle on Ice item is the toughest for Jim Craig to sell? (video)

Jul 30, 2015, 1:31 PM EDT

Jim Craig AP

Watch the goalie’s interview on The Dan Patrick Show.

3. British Athletics clears Mo Farah after investigation

Jul 30, 2015, 1:00 PM EDT

AP AP

Farah was to have “blood data, supplements data, everything surrounding his medical treatment” investigated.

4. World Swimming Championships broadcast schedule

Jul 30, 2015, 10:12 AM EDT

Getty Images Getty Images

NBC, NBC Sports Live Extra and Universal Sports will combine for daily coverage.

5. Almaty or Beijing? IOC set to choose 2022 Winter Olympic host

Jul 30, 2015, 8:08 AM EDT

Sochi Olympics Biathlon AP

Either way, the vote will mark an Olympic first.

6. Allyson Felix to run 400m at World Championships

Jul 29, 2015, 6:27 PM EDT

AP AP

Felix will be absent from the 200m at Worlds for the first time since 2001.

7. Simone Biles turns pro

Jul 29, 2015, 4:49 PM EDT

AP AP

Biles won’t be eligible to compete collegiately.

8. Abby Wambach ‘planning on playing’ in Rio, ‘still need time to decide’

Jul 29, 2015, 1:53 PM EDT

Getty Images Getty Images

It would be tougher for Wambach to make the Rio Olympic team than the 2015 World Cup team.

9. Markus Rehm, German amputee long jumper, left off World Championships team

Jul 29, 2015, 12:19 PM EDT

AP AP

Rehm has the best long jump by a German this year, but he may have a competitive advantage.

10. Inbee Park criticizes Olympic golf qualifying procedures

Jul 29, 2015, 11:45 AM EDT

Getty Images Getty Images

“If you are in the world’s top 50, you should be able to play in the Olympics.”

11. IOC president: Boston 2024 didn’t deliver on promises to USOC

Jul 29, 2015, 11:02 AM EDT

AP AP

“I gave up following [Boston 2024] because it was pretty confusing.”

12. Russia basketball says it’s suspended by FIBA

Jul 29, 2015, 10:28 AM EDT

Getty Images Getty Images

Its Olympic qualifying tournament is in less than two months.

13. Yuna Kim: About 90 percent of my career was hardship

Jul 29, 2015, 8:59 AM EDT

AP AP

Watch Kim play badminton with Michelle Kwan.

14. No decision made on Bode Miller’s status, agent says

Jul 29, 2015, 8:59 AM EDT

Getty Images Getty Images

Miller said June 15 he could ski a partial 2015-16 season, and a report last week cited Miller saying he would take at least one year off.

15. IOC president confident U.S. will still bid for 2024 Olympics

Jul 28, 2015, 2:05 PM EDT

AP AP

One city’s mayor is open to discussions.

16. Jonathan Horton splashes out on American Ninja Warrior (video)

Jul 28, 2015, 11:54 AM EDT

Jonathan Horton

Horton impressively scaled the warped wall, which is about three times his height.

17. Jessica Ennis-Hill will compete at World Championships

Jul 28, 2015, 11:17 AM EDT

Getty Images Getty Images

The British Olympic heptathlon champion will compete at a global championship for the first time since the London Games.