Mar 13, 2014, 7:32 AM EST
Austrian Anna Fenninger wrapped up her first World Cup overall title by finishing second in the World Cup Finals super-G in Lenzerheide, Switzerland, on Thursday.
Swiss Lara Gut delighted the flag-waving home crowd by winning the race and securing the super-G season title.
Gut crossed in 1 minute, 17.14 seconds. Fenninger was .61 behind, followed by last season’s overall champion, Tina Maze, at .95 back.
Fenninger, 24, is the youngest women’s World Cup overall winner since Lindsey Vonn won the second of her four titles in 2009.
She is also the first Austrian women’s winner since Nicole Hosp in 2007.
With countryman Marcel Hirscher likely to win the men’s title, it sets Austria up to be the first nation to sweep the men’s and women’s overall crystal globes since 2002.
Then, it was also Austria accomplishing the feat with Stephan Eberharter and Michaela Dorfmeister.
Fenninger, the Olympic super-G champion and giant slalom silver medalist, has been on a tear to close the season. She recorded her fourth podium finish in five starts since the Olympics on Thursday.
She overtook German Maria Hoefl-Riesch in overall points in Wednesday’s downhill after Hoefl-Riesch crashed and had to be helicoptered off the course. Hoefl-Riesch will not enter the final two races Saturday and Sunday.
It’s possible Hoefl-Riesch, 29, will retire after this season. Maze is 30. Vonn is 29 and coming off major surgery. The door may be open for Fenninger to be the overall star for years to come, though Mikaela Shiffrin may have something to say once she adds speed events.
1. Lara Gut (SUI) 1:17.14
2. Anna Fenninger (AUT) 1:17.75
3. Tina Maze (SLO) 1:18.09
4. Nicole Schmidhofer (AUT) 1:18.22
5. Regina Sterz (AUT) 1:18.59
6. Nadia Fanchini (ITA) 1:18.73
7. Comelia Huetter (AUT) 1:19.00
8. Viktoria Rebensburg (GER) 1:19.21
9. Kajsa Kling (SWE) 1:19.22
10. Julia Mancuso (USA) 1:19.34
11. Stacey Cook (USA) 1:19.54
Final super-G standings
1. Lara Gut (SUI) — 448
2. Anna Fenninger (AUT) — 357
3. Tina Weirather (LIE) — 310
15. Julia Mancuso (USA) — 104
15. Stacey Cook (USA) — 104
Dec 19, 2014, 2:27 PM EST
Rome 2024 bid could include events in Vatican City.
Dec 19, 2014, 1:23 PM EST
Marathon route over Golden Gate Bridge.
Dec 19, 2014, 12:41 PM EST
Phelps was supported by retired Baltimore Ravens linebacker Ray Lewis.
Dec 19, 2014, 9:11 AM EST
Nyman has won three World Cup races, all in Italy.
Dec 18, 2014, 4:39 PM EST
“He was incredible at that, almost befriending you, and then he’d slip the knife in your back.”
Dec 18, 2014, 3:33 PM EST
Colbert had a memorable time at the 2010 Olympic speed skating oval and in an interview with Bob Costas in Vancouver.
Dec 18, 2014, 12:00 PM EST
Olympic champion tore an ankle ligament in November.
Dec 18, 2014, 11:14 AM EST
Vonn entered five races in Vancouver 2010. She may never do that again at a global championship.
Dec 17, 2014, 5:38 PM EST
Decision details Gay’s acquisition and use of performance-enhancing drugs.
Dec 17, 2014, 5:31 PM EST
Fukushima’s previous governor pitched the area to be part of Tokyo 2020, too.
Dec 17, 2014, 3:29 PM EST
A look at host nation medal contenders for Rio 2016.
Dec 17, 2014, 2:37 PM EST
“It is breach of privacy with malicious target to soil my name.”
Dec 17, 2014, 1:51 PM EST
Japanese teen says he wasn’t satisfied winning silver in Sochi.
Dec 17, 2014, 9:55 AM EST
History shows that’s quite an ambitious goal.
Dec 16, 2014, 7:12 PM EST
USOC could wait until February to announce its city.
Dec 16, 2014, 11:36 AM EST
Bacteria found next to the starting point for Rio Olympic sailing events.
Dec 16, 2014, 9:57 AM EST
South Korea’s most decorated LPGA Tour player would have a tough time qualifying for Rio 2016.
Dec 15, 2014, 1:51 PM EST
Two retired running backs could join a long list of NFL Olympians.
Dec 15, 2014, 1:38 PM EST
Roger Federer won the Swiss men’s award, in a year he didn’t win a Grand Slam, over a Slam winner and a two-time Sochi gold medalist.
Dec 15, 2014, 11:49 AM EST
The USOC is expected to announce if it will bid for the 2024 Olympics on Tuesday, and possibly name the city.
- Michael Phelps gets probation after guilty plea in DUI case 2
- Stephen Colbert and the Olympics 0
- U.S. will bid for 2024 Olympics, no city chosen yet 6
- Adrian Peterson won’t try for Olympics, but other RBs might 2
- Rio Olympic track and field schedule released 1
- Rome to bid for 2024 Olympics, possible events in Vatican City 0
- Yuzuru Hanyu repeats as Grand Prix Final champion (video) 0
- Emotional Bode Miller medals in race that mattered most (61)
- Russian women kissing after relay victory at World Championships causes stir (60)
- IOC drops wrestling from 2020 Olympics (47)
- South Korea filing official complaint over Yuna Kim’s Olympic silver (39)
- Zola Budd, 47, dominates college runners in 5K (33)