Mar 13, 2014, 7:32 AM EDT
Austrian Anna Fenninger wrapped up her first World Cup overall title by finishing second in the World Cup Finals super-G in Lenzerheide, Switzerland, on Thursday.
Swiss Lara Gut delighted the flag-waving home crowd by winning the race and securing the super-G season title.
Gut crossed in 1 minute, 17.14 seconds. Fenninger was .61 behind, followed by last season’s overall champion, Tina Maze, at .95 back.
Fenninger, 24, is the youngest women’s World Cup overall winner since Lindsey Vonn won the second of her four titles in 2009.
She is also the first Austrian women’s winner since Nicole Hosp in 2007.
With countryman Marcel Hirscher likely to win the men’s title, it sets Austria up to be the first nation to sweep the men’s and women’s overall crystal globes since 2002.
Then, it was also Austria accomplishing the feat with Stephan Eberharter and Michaela Dorfmeister.
Fenninger, the Olympic super-G champion and giant slalom silver medalist, has been on a tear to close the season. She recorded her fourth podium finish in five starts since the Olympics on Thursday.
She overtook German Maria Hoefl-Riesch in overall points in Wednesday’s downhill after Hoefl-Riesch crashed and had to be helicoptered off the course. Hoefl-Riesch will not enter the final two races Saturday and Sunday.
It’s possible Hoefl-Riesch, 29, will retire after this season. Maze is 30. Vonn is 29 and coming off major surgery. The door may be open for Fenninger to be the overall star for years to come, though Mikaela Shiffrin may have something to say once she adds speed events.
1. Lara Gut (SUI) 1:17.14
2. Anna Fenninger (AUT) 1:17.75
3. Tina Maze (SLO) 1:18.09
4. Nicole Schmidhofer (AUT) 1:18.22
5. Regina Sterz (AUT) 1:18.59
6. Nadia Fanchini (ITA) 1:18.73
7. Comelia Huetter (AUT) 1:19.00
8. Viktoria Rebensburg (GER) 1:19.21
9. Kajsa Kling (SWE) 1:19.22
10. Julia Mancuso (USA) 1:19.34
11. Stacey Cook (USA) 1:19.54
Final super-G standings
1. Lara Gut (SUI) — 448
2. Anna Fenninger (AUT) — 357
3. Tina Weirather (LIE) — 310
15. Julia Mancuso (USA) — 104
15. Stacey Cook (USA) — 104
Oct 30, 2014, 3:50 PM EDT
Keflezighi faces tough odds to win Sunday, just as in Boston.
Oct 30, 2014, 2:23 PM EDT
The U.S. roster includes zero men who had the fastest time in the world this year in an Olympic event.
Oct 30, 2014, 8:37 AM EDT
Figure skating champion joins MLB outfielder, ballerina.
Oct 29, 2014, 4:36 PM EDT
Anderson is the two-time reigning USA Volleyball Player of the Year.
Oct 29, 2014, 3:03 PM EDT
The 2018 World Championships were already awarded.
Oct 29, 2014, 2:20 PM EDT
Tennis player flew from Singapore to Denmark to New York this week.
Oct 29, 2014, 10:04 AM EDT
Rising black smoke caused brief panic, but the fire was quickly put out.
Oct 29, 2014, 9:48 AM EDT
Bruno Grandi was at the helm for a judging overhaul.
Oct 29, 2014, 9:35 AM EDT
One of the U.S.’ strongest skaters from last season is not on the team.
Oct 28, 2014, 1:58 PM EDT
Sundquist was a partially eaten gingerbread man, a leg lamp and a flamingo in recent years.
Oct 28, 2014, 1:31 PM EDT
Either Berlin or Hamburg will be chosen in March.
Oct 28, 2014, 9:24 AM EDT
Those against Boston hosting an Olympics sent a letter to the USOC.
Oct 28, 2014, 9:03 AM EDT
Judge rules in lawsuit over environmental concerns.
Oct 27, 2014, 4:10 PM EDT
China’s Zhang Jike kicked through an advertising board.
Oct 27, 2014, 3:42 PM EDT
The list includes a four-time Olympic champion.
Oct 27, 2014, 9:58 AM EDT
Rousseff could join a short list of women to declare open an Olympics in two years.
Oct 27, 2014, 9:20 AM EDT
Alexander Kaptarenko carried a Sochi Olympic torch for 200 meters in December.
Oct 27, 2014, 9:00 AM EDT
Pistorius was sentenced to no more than five years behind prison last week.
Oct 26, 2014, 8:47 PM EDT
Russian who was too young for Sochi Olympics takes title.
Oct 26, 2014, 1:04 PM EDT
Olympic champion’s worst-ever result in Soelden.
- Meb Keflezighi in familiar spot as New York City Marathon underdog 0
- Matt Anderson taking break from volleyball due to depression 0
- Caroline Wozniacki nervous for New York City Marathon, even in her dreams 0
- Prosecutors to appeal Oscar Pistorius verdict, sentence 3
- Russian triumphs at Skate America; Gracie Gold third (video) 4
- Ted Ligety struggles in first race of season (video) 0
- Japan’s Machida routs U.S. men at Skate America; ice dancers make history 0
- Emotional Bode Miller medals in race that mattered most (61)
- Russian women kissing after relay victory at World Championships causes stir (60)
- IOC drops wrestling from 2020 Olympics (47)
- South Korea filing official complaint over Yuna Kim’s Olympic silver (39)
- Zola Budd, 47, dominates college runners in 5K (33)