Mar 12, 2014, 10:23 AM EDT
Ten-time Summer Paralympic medalist Tatyana McFadden won her first Winter Paralympic medal Wednesday, silver in the 1km cross-country sprint, less than two years after she picked up skiing.
McFadden, 24, finished 4.61 seconds behind Norway’s Mariann Marthinsen to win one of two U.S. medals Wednesday. Alpine skier Laurie Stephens added bronze in the sitting slalom.
McFadden won her medal in front of her Russian birth mother and the director of her former Russian orphanage.
Sochi marks a bit of a homecoming for McFadden, who was born in Russia paralyzed from the waist down due to spina bifida and adopted from a St. Petersburg orphanage at age 6.
McFadden grew into a Paralympic track and field star and had unprecedented success in 2013, when she became the first woman to win six gold medals at a single International Paralympic Committee Track and Field World Championship. She also captured the first major wheelchair marathon “Grand Slam,” sweeping Boston, London, Chicago and New York City.
She was encouraged to pick up cross-country skiing by Alana Nichols, the first U.S. woman to win gold medals in the Summer (wheelchair basketball) and Winter (Alpine skiing) Paralympics.
McFadden had never made the podium in a World Cup cross-country skiing race before winning her silver medal in Sochi.
Also Wednesday, the U.S. wheelchair curling team beat China 10-2 and Sweden 8-3 to keep its hopes alive of advancing to the semifinals with one game left.
Aug 22, 2014, 1:40 PM EDT
U.S. coach noticed a bent, old bike and decided something had to be done.
Aug 22, 2014, 11:54 AM EDT
U.S. women undefeated in six games so far.
Aug 22, 2014, 11:32 AM EDT
U.S. had to come from behind in both relays.
Aug 21, 2014, 11:17 PM EDT
Finals at 5 a.m. ET on Friday.
Aug 21, 2014, 11:09 PM EDT
Olympian Kyla Ross struggled.
Aug 21, 2014, 7:15 PM EDT
Olympic champion swimmer posts Instagram videos.
Aug 21, 2014, 6:08 PM EDT
A U.S. Summer Olympic Opening Ceremony flag bearer hasn’t won individual Olympic gold since 1960.
Aug 21, 2014, 5:01 PM EDT
Four past U.S. all-around champions are in the field in Pittsburgh.
Aug 21, 2014, 4:01 PM EDT
Also, a rare defeat for Olympic pole vault champion.
Aug 21, 2014, 2:44 PM EDT
Olympic all-around champion says she’ll stay in Columbus through 2016 Olympics.
Aug 21, 2014, 11:26 AM EDT
Ledecky nearly broke another world record.
Aug 21, 2014, 9:53 AM EDT
NBA legends channeled; Olympic silver medalist on judging panel.
Aug 21, 2014, 7:49 AM EDT
Ukrainian’s error costs Moldovan teammate a shot at the podium.
Aug 20, 2014, 11:59 PM EDT
U.S. star first suffered back spasms at Tuesday practice.
Aug 20, 2014, 5:44 PM EDT
Defending champion feels no added pressure despite seeing her face all around Pittsburgh.
Aug 20, 2014, 3:56 PM EDT
Would Davis excel in softball if she tried it?
Aug 20, 2014, 11:56 AM EDT
Can Allyson Felix finally topple Tori Bowie?
Aug 20, 2014, 9:23 AM EDT
First medals awarded on an Olympic stage in rugby since 1924.
Aug 20, 2014, 8:46 AM EDT
Lily Zhang scored a breakthrough for U.S. table tennis.
Aug 20, 2014, 8:28 AM EDT
Gold medalists Hannah Moore and Clara Smiddy will go from Nanjing to Ann Arbor.
- Michael Phelps, Missy Franklin 4th in 100 free, win Pan Pacs relay golds 0
- Simone Biles dominates to open P&G Championships 0
- Amy Van Dyken-Rouen stands, walks with assistance for first time since accident (video) 3
- Sam Mikulak leads one of most decorated P&G Championships fields ever 0
- Katie Ledecky wins 2 Pan Pacs titles; Missy Franklin places 3rd 1
- Simone Biles a tall favorite at P&G Championships; women’s preview 0
- Jennie Finch, Lisa Fernandez weigh in on Mo’ne Davis 0
- Emotional Bode Miller medals in race that mattered most (61)
- Russian women kissing after relay victory at World Championships causes stir (56)
- IOC drops wrestling from 2020 Olympics (47)
- South Korea filing official complaint over Yuna Kim’s Olympic silver (38)
- Zola Budd, 47, dominates college runners in 5K (33)