Ashton Eaton near world record pace at World Indoors; wife wins silver

Mar 7, 2014, 3:28 PM EDT

Ashton Eaton AP

The first day of the World Indoor Championships was good to husband and wife Ashton Eaton and Brianne Theisen-Eaton.

The American Eaton took a 70-point lead in the heptathlon in Sopot, Poland, on Friday, one point shy of his world record pace set at the 2012 World Indoor Championships. The Canadian Theisen-Eaton won silver in the pentathlon.

The first U.S. medal was gold, to shot putter Ryan Whiting who defended his 2012 World Indoor title.

The Olympic decathlon champion Eaton reportedly multi-tasked at ERGO Arena, cheering on Theisen-Eaton in her final pentathlon event, the 800m, while in between high jumps in the fourth of seven events in his heptathlon.

Theisen-Eaton finished 62 points behind winner Nadine Broersen of the Netherlands. American Sharon Day-Monroe finished six points out of bronze.

Eaton had the best 60m and long jump in the heptathlon and was fourth in the shot put and third in the high jump. He’s in line to win his fourth straight major multi-event championship with three events to go Saturday.

Whiting, who also won silver at the 2013 World Outdoor Championships, prevailed with a 22.05-meter throw to beat two-time reigning World Outdoor champion David Storl of Germany.

American Marvin Bracy overcame a slow start in the 60m to advance to Saturday’s semifinals in 6.60 seconds. Bracy, 20 and a former Florida State football recruit, is seen as a medal favorite given he’s the fastest man in the world this year among competitors in Sopot.

“It’s my first World Championships and it’s not something I’m used to,” Bracy said, according to Agence France-Presse. “Normally I just show up a day before a championship and run, but this is different.

“I concentrated on my preparations for the race so much that I actually wasn’t paying attention to when the gun went off, that’s why my start was so bad.

“I don’t feel much pressure, I’m just 20 so I know that even if I don’t do as well as I’m expected to, I’ve got a lot of World Championships left in my career.”

Other medal contenders Great Britain’s Dwain Chambers (6.57) and Jamaican Nesta Carter (6.58) also advanced.

Olympic 100m hurdles champion Sally Pearson of Australia was the fastest qualifier into the 60m hurdles semifinals in 7.79 seconds, the fastest time in the world this year and faster than any other woman in the field has ever run.

Americans Nia Ali and Janay DeLoach Soukup also made the 16-woman semifinals set for Saturday.

In the men’s 800m, World Outdoor Championships silver medalist Nick Symmonds failed to advance out of his heat and then said it was the final indoor race of his career.

“I’m not in that point in my season where I have that speed to get out,” Symmonds, 30, told reporters. “It [indoors] doesn’t suit me very well. As much fun as I’ve had out here, I think, for me, personally, obviously you’ve seen the last three or four seasons when I skip the indoor season, the long buildup works better for me in the summer [outdoors].”

All of the contenders advanced to Sunday’s men’s 3000m final, including Americans Bernard Lagat and Galen Rupp. Lagat, 39, is the two-time defending 3000m champion and the oldest athlete at the meet.

Both Americans also made the women’s 3000m final, Shannon Rowbury and Gabriele Grunewald. Grunewald was controversially disqualified and then reinstated as the U.S. 3000m champion last week. Ethiopian world record holder Genzebe Dibaba is the overwhelming favorite in the 3000m.

American Lopez Lomong, the Sudan-born 2008 Olympic Opening Ceremony flag bearer, failed to advance out of the 1500m heats.

U.S. Olympian Francena McCorory was the fastest qualifier into the women’s 400m final Saturday. Olympic silver medalist Luguelin Santos of the Dominican Republic failed to make the men’s 400m final, while Olympic bronze medalist Lalonde Gordon of Trindad and Tobago made it in only after another man was disqualified.

World Indoor Championship broadcast schedule

Latest Posts
  1. Jamaican sprinters Asafa Powell and Shelly-Ann Fraser-Pryce dominate at Paris Diamond League

Jul 4, 2015, 6:57 PM EDT

ATHLETICS-DIAMOND-FRA ATHLETICS-DIAMOND-FRA

The two claimed victory in the men’s and women’s 100 meters, while American Evan Jager came heartbreakingly close to making history in the steeplechase.

2. 2012 Olympic 4x100m relay medals officially reallocated after U.S. team stripped of silver

Jul 4, 2015, 10:12 AM EDT

Olympics Day 15 - Athletics Getty Images

Trinidad and Tobago have been upgraded to silver and France to bronze.

3. Bicycle fall takes swimmer Kosuke Hagino out of Worlds

Jul 4, 2015, 9:11 AM EDT

Kosuke Hagino Kosuke Hagino

The Japanese swimmer confirmed that his right elbow is fractured.

4. Nick Lucena and Theo Brunner final American team in Beach Volleyball World Championships

Jul 3, 2015, 5:13 PM EDT

AVP Championships at Huntington Beach AVP Championships at Huntington Beach

Three of the four remaining American teams were knocked out in the quarterfinal rounds. Lucena and Brunner will face the Brazilians in semifinals on Saturday.

5. Jordan Burroughs on Rio: ‘My chances of winning’ are better than in London

Jul 3, 2015, 2:13 PM EDT

US' Jordan Ernest Burroughs celebrates a US' Jordan Ernest Burroughs celebrates a

In an interview before the July 4th stop of the Road to Rio tour before Philadelphia, the Olympic wrestler explained how his age has become an advantage.

6. Rio 2016 Olympic torch unveiled

Jul 3, 2015, 12:26 PM EDT

Screen shot 2015-07-03 at 11.35.56 AM

The torch will begin in the capital city of Brasilia, passing through a planned 500 cities before reaching Maracana Stadium in Rio for the Opening Ceremony.

7. Allyson Felix considering 200-400m double at Worlds

Jul 3, 2015, 11:11 AM EDT

150704_AllysonFelix Getty Images

Won’t face Shelly-Ann Fraser-Pryce, who will forgo 200 meters to focus on 100.

8. Japanese swim star Kosuke Hagino potentially out of World Championships

Jul 2, 2015, 11:29 AM EDT

Comments Off on Japanese swim star Kosuke Hagino potentially out of World Championships
    Japan's Kosuke Hagino competes in the me Japan's Kosuke Hagino competes in the me

A suspected elbow fracture may force Hagino to pull out.

9. Kerri Walsh Jennings, April Ross historically dominant at World Championships

Jul 1, 2015, 10:07 AM EDT

Getty Images Getty Images

Walsh Jennings had never been part of such a rout with Misty May-Treanor.

10. USOC eyes majority support for Boston 2024 ‘relatively soon’

Jun 30, 2015, 7:33 PM EDT

Boston 2024

“We’re not discussing right now the possibility of not submitting a bid.”

11. Usain Bolt pulls out of July track meets

Jun 30, 2015, 2:37 PM EDT

AP AP

Bolt flew to Munich to treat an injury.

12. Brazil’s president offers Barack Obama ‘standing invitation’ to Rio Olympics

Jun 30, 2015, 2:25 PM EDT

AP AP

Obama has never attended an Olympics as president, and this is his last chance.

13. Simon Shnapir retires from figure skating

Jun 30, 2015, 2:08 PM EDT

Getty Images Getty Images

Shnapir won Olympic bronze in Sochi.

14. Missy Franklin named top NCAA female athlete

Jun 30, 2015, 10:37 AM EDT

Getty Images Getty Images

Franklin beat out another Rio 2016 Olympic hopeful for the honor.

15. Cristiano Ronaldo ‘a possibility’ for Rio 2016 Olympics

Jun 30, 2015, 9:19 AM EDT

Cristiano Ronaldo Getty Images

Ronaldo debuted at the Olympics two years before his first World Cup.

16. Angela Ruggiero to become fourth women’s player in Hockey Hall of Fame

Jun 30, 2015, 8:59 AM EDT

AP AP

The 2015 Hall of Fame class also includes four men’s Olympic medalists.

17. Michael Phelps’ career in photos on his 30th birthday

Jun 30, 2015, 8:10 AM EDT

Michael Phelps

Most decorated Olympian of all time turned 30 on Tuesday.

18. Michael Phelps’ potential record chases at Rio Olympics

Jun 30, 2015, 7:50 AM EDT

Michael Phelps AP

Phelps still trails a legendary gymnast, U.S. track and field champions and one of his 2004 Olympic swimming teammates.