Yuna Kim happy that ‘absurd’ situation is finished

Mar 4, 2014, 6:26 AM EDT

Yuna Kim AP

Yuna Kim had no second thoughts about finishing second in Sochi amid attention surrounding the scoring that put her 5.48 points behind Russian winner Adelina Sotnikova.

“It was all very absurd, but I was just happy that it was all finished,” she told hundreds of fans at a Seoul shopping mall Tuesday, according to Yonhap News Agency. “I have never gone over the result and thought what might have been.”

Kim, 23, had said going into Sochi that gold was not her ultimate goal in her final competitive skate. She repeated that Tuesday.

“I felt I could still feel a bit disappointed if I don’t win the gold, since I am human after all,” she said. “After it was all said and done, I concluded that I really wasn’t that desperate for the gold.”

Kim said her tears seeen after the free skate Feb. 20 were of reflection.

“I got emotional the night before also, after the end of my short program, thinking the time has finally come for me to leave,” she said. “It was just that memories of some difficult times came flooding back.”

Top Canadians out of World Championships

1. fdsa7410 - Mar 4, 2014 at 10:35 AM

Yuna Kim had no second thoughts because she is generous. But almost koreans are not generous, want she get gold medal back until now. Point is there was fixing in Sochi, Yuna should have got gold medal.

2. wannahockachewie - Mar 4, 2014 at 1:35 PM

The better translation below was by Ludi posting in Yahoo News:
    ————————————————————————————

Questionable Translation: she was asked about the result and she said she couldn’t believe it. Now she didn’t specify what she couldn’t believe (who won the gold? the actual feeling after she lost in the Olympics?), but she certainly didn’t mean that the result was absurd because she didn’t win it. What she said was: “I couldn’t believe the result but I liked that things were finished. I haven’t been obsessing over the result.”

What she said further was: “Prior to the Olympics, I said I don’t feel the desperation to win Gold (this time), but being human, I was also thinking that I would be sad and unsatisfied anyway if I were to not win it. But afterwards, I really didn’t feel the desperation.”

Being asked about her tears: “I was crying in my bed even after the short program, because I couldn’t believe that this time has finally come. I couldn’t hold back any longer.”

She was emotional thinking of what she haven’t been able to do : “Since becoming an athlete, my body has been used for skating only. I can’t even ride a bicycle.” etc.

And how does she feel about being retired: “Actually, I’ve been sick of looking at a pair of skates for a while.” (Basically a joke) “I have no regrets because I think I have done enough.”

How does she see herself after 10 years: “Figure skating is what I know. Whether coaching or other things, I don’t think I can be done with it completely.” “In ten years I will be 34, if I’m still not married by then, wouldn’t it be rather late? (laughing)”

Was the article machine-translated?

3. vivagelato - Mar 4, 2014 at 1:55 PM

Actually, I believe she described the judging as “absurd” per asian articles. Absurd is a nice way of saying Russian inflation of scores. Her short program was much more difficult technically than the gold medalists, but the judges and tech panel (vice president of the Russian skating federation headed it and a former coach of the gold medalist was on it) wanted to keep things close. Then they rewarded the 50% artistry section of the gold medalists skate higher-those imaginary pullings of rope and clown waves came within .4 of Kim Yu na’s score! I hope at worlds and on we see a neutral tech panel and judges so that people can believe the results and not have the sport go into a death spiral. Kim Yunna gave an amazing performance though at the Olympics, one that will be remembered for it’s artistry and technical challenges. Koster’s skate will also be remembered for the same.

4. wannahockachewie - Mar 4, 2014 at 5:00 PM

Having seen a footage of the event, it’s not even as strong as what I’ve written (I translated very quickly what’s in Korean Yonhap, Chosun Ilbo, etc.) :

What she really, really said:

Q: “What were your thoughts right at the moment of judges’ scores?

Yuna: “It’s not so much that I found the result reasonable (어이는 없었는데…), but I didn’t have any particular thoughts at the moment other than I was so glad that it was over and I am still happy over that. However, people are still telling me even now that we pity you, it was unjust, regrettable, we are distressed over you (laughing), even though I myself haven’t obsessed over the result at all.”

Q: “Is that because you are a person who is particularly generous? If it was me, I don’t know how I could’ve slept at night.”

Yuna: “It’s not that (laughing). Though I said before the Olympics that I don’t have to win Gold, and I don’t have that desperation, I did think, as a natural human reaction, that I would still feel sorry over not getting it, if it were to happen. But after the Olympics, I felt that it was really true I didn’t have THAT degree of desperation.

Q: “You were in tears after the performance.”

Yuna: “To be honest, even after the short, when I was in my room resting and preparing to go to sleep, I was suddenly just overcome with emotion, and I couldn’t believe that this moment has come, and after the free, as I said in the after-game interview, I would’ve been bawling even if I had won Gold. All the memories of hard times and what I have been holding back just flooded in.”

Using inflammatory words to get more clicks. Same Everywhere. The Media.

• wannahockachewie - Mar 4, 2014 at 5:01 PM

Written by the same Ludi as before….

5. sequentalprophet - Mar 5, 2014 at 1:56 PM

um, there’s no word in Korean for “absurd”

6. vivagelato - Mar 5, 2014 at 11:19 PM

There is a really good farewell article on Kim Yuna at the Chicago Tribune: http://articles.chicagotribune.com/2014-03-04/sports/chi-to-yuna-kim-hail-and-farewell-20140304_1_yuna-kim-carolina-kostner-2014-olympics . It mentions something I didn’t hear the announcers talk about. Kim Yunna is only the third skater to follow up an Olympic title with another medal. She joins Katarina Witt and Sonja Henning in that regard. Pretty good company for a skater! I suspect the 6th top grossing female athlete in the world (2013) will transition well to retirement, while she decides her next direction. Hopefully in the future the ISU honors those athletes in figure skating for their many hours of training, injury, and travel with a neutral judging/tech panel.

7. vivagelato - Mar 6, 2014 at 10:25 PM

The next figure skating competition, Worlds, is being held in a tech savvy country-Japan. In the wake of the absurd scores at Sochi, I wouldn’t be surprised to see them hand out dispute apps to coaches so as they sit with their athlete’s and the scores come in, they can immediately file a dispute if they are lower than normal for that skate. The judges and tech panel should be held accountable for any absurd results.

As the title of an article in the Japan Times states”Scandalous outcome: Skating judges steal Kim’s title, hand it to Sotnikova”, many in this world believe the skating results were flawed. Technology, by shedding light on the process and enabling quick disputes, may help force the ISU to deliver neutral judging results. The next Olympics will be held in another high tech country, South Korea. There could be an all Asian tech panel and more Asian judges, with amazing video and technical analysis real time.

Yogging a hit at Youth Olympic Games