Ryan Lochte’s injured knee ‘hurt’ after Orlando Grand Prix

Mar 2, 2014, 3:56 PM EDT

Ryan Lochte

Ryan Lochte‘s return to competition following his freak Nov. 2 knee injury wasn’t quite a smashing success.

Lochte’s left knee hurt after he swam two events in Orlando on Feb. 15. The 11-time Olympic medalist only made it to the meet for the final day due to a snowstorm keeping him stranded in Charlotte.

He finished second in a 200m backstroke and seventh in a 100m freestyle, saying his knee was 80 percent at the time.

Lochte went against doctors’ suggestions in racing in Orlando about three and a half months after he reportedly tore his left MCL and sprained his ACL after a teenage girl ran to him, he caught her and they both fell on Nov. 2. His knee hit a curb, Lochte’s publicist said.

“I got back in the water faster that what was expected,” Lochte told the Daytona Beach (Fla.) News-Journal on Saturday. “The doctors still say that I should be more careful, and I said, ‘Ahh, I don’t want to listen to them, I want to get back in the water.’ It started feeling fine. Then when I raced in Orlando, I don’t know, something happened, something was wrong in my knee and it hurt, so I knew I pushed it too hard.”

Lochte told the newspaper he’s still rehabbing the knee and unable to swim breaststroke.

“Certain things I still can’t do, but I’m working at it,” Lochte said. “I don’t like losing, and I don’t like not being at swim meets, so hopefully I’ll get back into it. Right now, it’s getting stronger.”

He doesn’t expect to miss the next Grand Prix meet, though, eyeing the Mesa, Ariz., event from April 24-26.

The bigger meets are the U.S. Championships in Irvine, Calif., from Aug. 6-10 and the Pan Pacific Championships in Gold Coast, Australia, beginning Aug. 21.

The U.S. Championships are a qualifying meet for the Pan Pacific Championships and the 2015 World Championships.

Keep in mind that Lochte’s former rival, Michael Phelps, will be eligible to swim at the Mesa meet in April, based on what his coach, Bob Bowman, said of Phelps re-entering the drug-testing pool last year.

Here’s Rowdy Gaines interviewing Lochte at the Orlando Grand Prix last month:

Jamaica soccer coach eyes Usain Bolt

Latest Posts
  1. Japanese swim star Kosuke Hagino potentially out of World Championships

Jul 2, 2015, 11:29 AM EDT

Comments Off on Japanese swim star Kosuke Hagino potentially out of World Championships
    Japan's Kosuke Hagino competes in the me Japan's Kosuke Hagino competes in the me

A suspected elbow fracture may force Hagino to pull out.

2. Kerri Walsh Jennings, April Ross historically dominant at World Championships

Jul 1, 2015, 10:07 AM EDT

Getty Images Getty Images

Walsh Jennings had never been part of such a rout with Misty May-Treanor.

3. USOC eyes majority support for Boston 2024 ‘relatively soon’

Jun 30, 2015, 7:33 PM EDT

Boston 2024

“We’re not discussing right now the possibility of not submitting a bid.”

4. Usain Bolt pulls out of July track meets

Jun 30, 2015, 2:37 PM EDT

AP AP

Bolt flew to Munich to treat an injury.

5. Brazil’s president offers Barack Obama ‘standing invitation’ to Rio Olympics

Jun 30, 2015, 2:25 PM EDT

AP AP

Obama has never attended an Olympics as president, and this is his last chance.

6. Simon Shnapir retires from figure skating

Jun 30, 2015, 2:08 PM EDT

Getty Images Getty Images

Shnapir won Olympic bronze in Sochi.

7. Missy Franklin named top NCAA female athlete

Jun 30, 2015, 10:37 AM EDT

Getty Images Getty Images

Franklin beat out another Rio 2016 Olympic hopeful for the honor.

8. Cristiano Ronaldo ‘a possibility’ for Rio 2016 Olympics

Jun 30, 2015, 9:19 AM EDT

Cristiano Ronaldo Getty Images

Ronaldo debuted at the Olympics two years before his first World Cup.

9. Angela Ruggiero to become fourth women’s player in Hockey Hall of Fame

Jun 30, 2015, 8:59 AM EDT

AP AP

The 2015 Hall of Fame class also includes four men’s Olympic medalists.

10. Michael Phelps’ career in photos on his 30th birthday

Jun 30, 2015, 8:10 AM EDT

Michael Phelps

Most decorated Olympian of all time turned 30 on Tuesday.

11. Michael Phelps’ potential record chases at Rio Olympics

Jun 30, 2015, 7:50 AM EDT

Michael Phelps AP

Phelps still trails a legendary gymnast, U.S. track and field champions and one of his 2004 Olympic swimming teammates.

12. Five takeaways from U.S. Track and Field Championships

Jun 29, 2015, 2:45 PM EDT

Getty Images Getty Images

The U.S. appears headed for a historically strong World Championships medal haul.

13. Boston 2024 releases Olympic bid version 2.0 (photos)

Jun 29, 2015, 11:45 AM EDT

Boston 2024 Olympic Stadium

“The critical issue that everyone asks is, ‘Can we run a privately funded Games with a surplus?'”

14. Yannick Agnel withdraws from World Swimming Championships

Jun 29, 2015, 11:09 AM EDT

Getty Images Getty Images

Agnel isn’t the only men’s swimming star who will be absent from Worlds.

15. Justin Gatlin wins 200m at U.S. Championships in another personal best

Jun 28, 2015, 8:39 PM EDT

AP AP

The women’s 800m final was the craziest of the day.

16. Bernard Lagat emotional after missing first Worlds team since 2005

Jun 28, 2015, 3:53 PM EDT

AP AP

Three first-time Worlds members in the women’s 5000m.