Feb 23, 2014, 2:45 PM EDT
Back on Feb. 8, slopestyle snowboarder Sage Kotsenburg of the U.S. won the first gold of the Sochi Olympics.
This morning, the Canadian men’s hockey team won the last gold of the Sochi Olympics with a 3-0 win over Sweden.
In between Kotsenburg and Team Canada’s respective coronations, a record-tying 26 nations claimed at least one of the 98 medals that were up for grabs in these Games.
But in the end, Russia reigned. They came away with the most medals, 33, five more than its closest competition, the U.S.
As noted by Olympic historian Bill Mallon, it’s only the fifth time a nation has won over 30 medals in a single Winter Olympics and it also marks an 18-medal improvement over the 15 medals they got four years ago in Vancouver (the second-biggest jump ever between two Winter Olympics).
And the Russians also won the most gold medals with 13 – five of which came from two competitors that were born in other countries (American-born snowboarder Vic Wild, Korean-born short track skater Victor Ahn).
It marks the first time a host nation has won on overall and gold medal counts at a Winter Olympics since Norway did it at Oslo in 1952. In those Games, the Norwegians won 16 medals, seven of them being gold.
And as noted last night, Ahn and Dutch speedskater Ireen Wust were the most decorated male and female Olympians in Sochi, respectively. Ahn won four medals altogether, while Wust captured five (two of them gold).
With that, here’s the final overall count from the XXII Olympic Winter Games…
- Usain Bolt anchors Jamaica to 4x100m relay gold after U.S. mishap 0
- Ashton Eaton breaks decathlon world record, wins World Championship 0
- Aries Merritt wins bronze before kidney transplant; incredible Worlds performances 0
- Usain Bolt may retire after Rio Olympics 0
- Usain Bolt crushes Justin Gatlin in World Championships 200m 3
- Allyson Felix wins 400m, breaks U.S. record for Worlds medals; Rio preview? 1
- Usain Bolt and Justin Gatlin’s first race together from 2005 (video) 0
- Emotional Bode Miller medals in race that mattered most (63)
- Russian women kissing after relay victory at World Championships causes stir (60)
- IOC drops wrestling from 2020 Olympics (47)
- South Korea filing official complaint over Yuna Kim’s Olympic silver (39)
- Zola Budd, 47, dominates college runners in 5K (33)