Feb 22, 2014, 6:54 AM EDT
The South Korean Olympic Committee/South Korea Skating Union is protesting Russia’s Adelina Sotkinova’s controversial gold medal win over Yuna Kim, the Associated Press reports.
“The South Korean team in Sochi has politely requested the Korean Skating Union to ask ISU president Ottavio Cinquanta to review the women’s figure skating singles (to see) if it followed the rules of ISU standards,” said a statement.
It really might all be a statement, however, as USA Today reports that this is almost certain to be ineffective because such complaints must be filed immediately after rulings to have any effect (beyond airing grievances).
“We haven’t received any letter of protest or complaint or anything,” ISU spokeswoman Selina Vanier said Saturday.
“All ISU members know the rules of protest … That’s something that’s very clear to our members.”
NBC analyst Scott Hamilton told the Associated Press that it’s all about how the judges are selected rather than the scoring system itself.
“The problem was never the scoring system,” Hamilton said. “It was how the judges are selected for these competitions. What happened in Salt Lake City resulted in this scoring system not treating the issue. Every sport out there has an affiliated association of officials. They are separate from the federation, and figure skating is hesitant to do that. It is a fundamental issue that leads to people having a hard time taking the results as the results.”
Clearly people in South Korea – and beyond – are having a tough time with this one.
- Kerri Walsh Jennings, April Ross withdraw from Moscow Grand Slam 0
- Prefontaine Classic preview, schedule, broadcast info 0
- Kerri Walsh Jennings injures shoulder, forfeits match 0
- Katie Uhlaender, skeleton World champion, becomes track cyclist 0
- Missy Franklin returns to Colorado, coach Todd Schmitz 1
- Rulon Gardner on returning to wrestling training, getting his gold medal back 1
- David Letterman and the Olympics 0
- Emotional Bode Miller medals in race that mattered most (61)
- Russian women kissing after relay victory at World Championships causes stir (60)
- IOC drops wrestling from 2020 Olympics (47)
- South Korea filing official complaint over Yuna Kim’s Olympic silver (39)
- Zola Budd, 47, dominates college runners in 5K (33)