Feb 20, 2014, 7:03 AM EDT
Joergen Graabak held off Germany’s Fabian Riessle at the finish to give Norway the win in the Nordic combined team large hill/4x5km relay, earning another gold to go along with the one he got in the individual large hill 10km event.
The Austrians had been bidding for a third consecutive Olympic title in this event.
Graabak, Riessle, and Austria’s Mario Stecher were nose-to-tail midway through the final lap, with Stecher taking multiple attempts to pass Graabak on the outside before falling back to third.
In the end, it came down to a sprint in the stadium between Graabak and Riessle (the bronze medalist in individual LH 10km), with the Norwegian winning by three-tenths of a second. Stecher got Austria the bronze, finishing 3.4 seconds behind.
The Norwegians had started 25 seconds off of the Germans after finishing third in the ski jumping portion.
The United States’ foursome of Bryan Fletcher, Todd Lodwick, Taylor Fletcher and Bill Demong came home sixth.
NORDIC COMBINED – TEAM LARGE HILL 4X5KM RELAY
1. Norway, 47:13.5
2. Germany, +0.3 seconds
3. Austria, +3.4 seconds
6. United States, +2:21.6
- Haley Anderson wins Pan Pacs open-water 10K by .01 after jellyfish sting, move to Maui 0
- Gwen Jorgensen wins World Championship in triathlon 0
- How the FIBA World Cup impacts the Olympics 0
- Gwen Jorgensen’s glory awaits in Edmonton 0
- Tyson Gay last place in Zurich; Jenny Simpson leads U.S. winners (video) 0
- Youth Olympics wrap with Closing Ceremony, Lionel Messi cameo (photos) 0
- U.S. finishes Youth Olympics with 22 medals, 10 golds 1
- Emotional Bode Miller medals in race that mattered most (61)
- Russian women kissing after relay victory at World Championships causes stir (57)
- IOC drops wrestling from 2020 Olympics (47)
- South Korea filing official complaint over Yuna Kim’s Olympic silver (38)
- Zola Budd, 47, dominates college runners in 5K (33)