Feb 20, 2014, 11:37 AM EST
Jennifer Jones and the Canadian women’s curling team completed a perfect 11-0 run by beating Sweden 6-3 on Thursday.
Sportsnet.ca points out that it was a pretty close match:
The Canadians stole two in the ninth after Sweden’s Maria Prtytz wrecked her final shot.
This marks Canada’s second women’s curling gold, as the first came in Nagano. Sweden settles for silver after winning gold in 2010 and 2006 while Eve Muirhead and Great Britain took bronze earlier on Thursday.
Canada hopes to sweep the event on Friday, as their men’s curling team takes on Great Britain while China in the gold medal game while China faces Sweden for bronze.
Today figures to be a huge day for Canadian ice sports as their women’s hockey team faces the U.S. in a highly anticipated gold medal game, which kicks off at noon ET on Thursday.
- Maksim Kovtun rallies to win Trophee Bompard; Grand Prix Final picture 0
- Ashley Wagner in Grand Prix Final fight after finishing behind Russians at Trophee Bompard 0
- Angelina Jolie showed Louis Zamperini scenes of ‘Unbroken’ on hospital bed 0
- Joss Christensen becomes ‘mountain man’ since Sochi Olympics 0
- IOC proposes adding Olympic events, bid reforms 0
- Ryan Lochte: I have no doubt Michael Phelps will come back 1
- Doha gets 2019 World Track and Field Championships over Eugene, Barcelona 2
- Emotional Bode Miller medals in race that mattered most (61)
- Russian women kissing after relay victory at World Championships causes stir (60)
- IOC drops wrestling from 2020 Olympics (47)
- South Korea filing official complaint over Yuna Kim’s Olympic silver (39)
- Zola Budd, 47, dominates college runners in 5K (33)