Feb 20, 2014, 3:24 PM EDT
In women’s hockey, there is no bigger prize than Olympic gold medals.
On Thursday, the U.S. was fewer than five minutes from achieving the ultimate prize, before Canada stormed back with two late goals to send the contest to sudden death overtime, where Marie-Philip Poulin scored the goal that brought gold medals to Canada.
For Canada, it’s their fourth consecutive gold medals in women’s Olympic hockey.
For the U.S., it is their second straight silver medals.
The Canadians pulled within 2-1 when Brianne Jenner scored with less than four minutes to go in regulation. A short time later, they opted to pull goalie Shannon Szabados from the net – only to have an American shot fired from deep within their zone toward the open goal.
The puck hit the left post. Canada was still alive.
And with 55 seconds remaining in regulation, they pulled even as Poulin – who scored both goals in the Canadians’ 2-0 gold medal win over the U.S. four years ago in Vancouver – lit the lamp.
The game then went to overtime, which featured a series of penalties that left the Canadians with an eventual 5-on-3 advantage. At the 8:10 mark, Poulin struck again and zipped a quick shot into the net.
The heroine of Vancouver became the heroine of Sochi.
WOMEN’S HOCKEY – GOLD MEDAL GAME
CANADA 3, UNITED STATES 2 (OT)
USA – Meghan Duggan (Jocelyne Lamoureux), 11:57 – USA 1-0
USA – Alex Carpenter (Hilary Knight, Kelli Stack), 2:01 – USA 2-0
CAN – Brianne Jenner (Meaghan Mikkelson, Jocelyne Larocque), 16:34 – USA 2-1
CAN – Marie-Philip Poulin (Rebecca Johnston, Haley Irwin), 19:05 – TIE 2-2
CAN – Poulin (Laura Fortino), 8:10 – CAN 3-2
CAN – Shannon Szabados, 27 saves on 29 shots
USA – Jessie Vetter, 28 saves on 31 shots
- U.S. blanks Canada for gold at IPC World Sled Hockey Championship 0
- Lindsey Vonn, Tiger Woods announce breakup 7
- U.S. holds off Usain Bolt at World Relays (video) 1
- Kim Rhode still No. 1 after difficult pregnancy, gun change on road to history in Rio 0
- Jillion Potter done with cancer treatment, eyes U.S. rugby return, Olympics 0
- Jeremy Bloom recalls 2006 Olympics in ‘Fueled by Failure’ 0
- Missy Franklin on her dream relay, unusual autographs, ‘the worm’ 1
- Emotional Bode Miller medals in race that mattered most (61)
- Russian women kissing after relay victory at World Championships causes stir (60)
- IOC drops wrestling from 2020 Olympics (47)
- South Korea filing official complaint over Yuna Kim’s Olympic silver (39)
- Zola Budd, 47, dominates college runners in 5K (33)