Feb 19, 2014, 6:55 AM EDT
Russia’s husband-and-wife snowboarding duo of Vic Wild (pictured) and Alena Zavarzina claimed Olympic parallel giant slalom medals within mere minutes of each other today – with Wild defeating Switzerland’s Nevin Galmarini for the men’s gold in the Big Final.
Wild, who was born in America but has represented Russia since marrying Zavarzina in 2011, was down half a second after the first run of the Big Final against Galmarini but came back in the second run to win by 2.14 seconds.
Before Wild and Galmarini settled the gold on the men’s side, Zavarzina had taken the Small Final on the women’s side to grab the bronze after falling in her semifinal against Switzerland’s Patrizia Kummer.
Following the event, Wild and Zavarzina embraced at the bottom of the course.
Husband-and-wife medalists are certainly a noteworthy story. But as Olympic historian Bill Mallon noted in a Twitter reply to NBCOlympics.com’s Nick Zaccardi, it isn’t an uncommon story.
The Big Final for the women’s gold featured Kummer and Japan’s Tomoka Takeuchi, the top-ranked PGS riders on the World Cup circuit. Takeuchi put Kummer down three-tenths of a second after the first run, but fell on the second run to enable Kummer to take the win.
Only one American competed in PGS at Sochi. Justin Reiter was unable to advance out of men’s qualifying and is credited with a 24th place finish.
MEN’S SNOWBOARDING – PARALLEL GIANT SLALOM
1. Vic Wild (RUS), won Big Final by 2.14 seconds
2. Nevin Galmarini (SUI)
3. Zan Kosir (SLO), won Small Final by 2.26 seconds
24. Justin Reiter (USA), eliminated in Qualifying
WOMEN’S SNOWBOARDING – PARALLEL GIANT SLALOM
1. Patrizia Kummer (SUI), won Big Final by 7.32 seconds
2. Tomoka Takeuchi (JPN)
3. Alena Zavarzina (RUS), won Small Final by 0.82 seconds
Oct 30, 2014, 8:37 AM EDT
Figure skating champion joins MLB outfielder, ballerina.
Oct 29, 2014, 4:36 PM EDT
Anderson is the two-time reigning USA Volleyball Player of the Year.
Oct 29, 2014, 3:03 PM EDT
The 2018 World Championships were already awarded.
Oct 29, 2014, 2:20 PM EDT
Tennis player flew from Singapore to Denmark to New York this week.
Oct 29, 2014, 10:04 AM EDT
Rising black smoke caused brief panic, but the fire was quickly put out.
Oct 29, 2014, 9:48 AM EDT
Bruno Grandi was at the helm for a judging overhaul.
Oct 29, 2014, 9:35 AM EDT
One of the U.S.’ strongest skaters from last season is not on the team.
Oct 28, 2014, 1:58 PM EDT
Sundquist was a partially eaten gingerbread man, a leg lamp and a flamingo in recent years.
Oct 28, 2014, 1:31 PM EDT
Either Berlin or Hamburg will be chosen in March.
Oct 28, 2014, 9:24 AM EDT
Those against Boston hosting an Olympics sent a letter to the USOC.
Oct 28, 2014, 9:03 AM EDT
Judge rules in lawsuit over environmental concerns.
Oct 27, 2014, 4:10 PM EDT
China’s Zhang Jike kicked through an advertising board.
Oct 27, 2014, 3:42 PM EDT
The list includes a four-time Olympic champion.
Oct 27, 2014, 9:58 AM EDT
Rousseff could join a short list of women to declare open an Olympics in two years.
Oct 27, 2014, 9:20 AM EDT
Alexander Kaptarenko carried a Sochi Olympic torch for 200 meters in December.
Oct 27, 2014, 9:00 AM EDT
Pistorius was sentenced to no more than five years behind prison last week.
Oct 26, 2014, 8:47 PM EDT
Russian who was too young for Sochi Olympics takes title.
Oct 26, 2014, 1:04 PM EDT
Olympic champion’s worst-ever result in Soelden.
Oct 25, 2014, 11:44 PM EDT
Machida breaks record for winning margin; U.S. matches its longest drought.
Oct 25, 2014, 4:02 PM EDT
Two Russians lead the way.
- Matt Anderson taking break from volleyball due to depression 0
- Caroline Wozniacki nervous for New York City Marathon, even in her dreams 0
- Prosecutors to appeal Oscar Pistorius verdict, sentence 3
- Russian triumphs at Skate America; Gracie Gold third (video) 4
- Ted Ligety struggles in first race of season (video) 0
- Japan’s Machida routs U.S. men at Skate America; ice dancers make history 0
- Mikaela Shiffrin wins her first World Cup giant slalom in Soelden tie (video) 0
- Emotional Bode Miller medals in race that mattered most (61)
- Russian women kissing after relay victory at World Championships causes stir (60)
- IOC drops wrestling from 2020 Olympics (47)
- South Korea filing official complaint over Yuna Kim’s Olympic silver (39)
- Zola Budd, 47, dominates college runners in 5K (33)