Carolina Kostner closing in on elusive Olympic medal

Feb 19, 2014, 11:10 PM EDT

kostnerAP AP

SOCHI, Russia – Four years ago, Carolina Kostner left the Vancouver ice after her free skate with her head clutched between her arms, barely able to stand after delivering what she herself might tell you was the worst performance of her life.

Thursday night in Sochi she could win an Olympic medal.

At 27, the Italian delivered a stirring performance Wednesday in the short program of the ladies’ singles event, skating to “Ave Maria” and equaling the music with her beauty across the ice.

“After Vancouver I thought that was it,” said Kostner, who sits in third place, less than a point from first. “I thought I would stop skating. I thought that was my end.”

One of the oldest skaters still competing on the international level, Kostner performed with the kind of steadied grace that only a veteran can possess. Long known as a soft and emotive skater, Kostner was her vintage self and poised in delivery.”

“I wanted to skate because I love it,” she said of why she decided to continue after Vancouver. “The hard times make you understand what you really want and I’m really glad that I continued and honored to have experienced everything that I have in the past years.”

After placing ninth at the Torino Games, Kostner plummeted to 16th in Vancouver, but chose to skate on, winning the World Championships in 2012 and tacking on two more European and National Championship titles.

She skated after Yulia Lipnitskaya Wednesday night at the Sochi Games in an arena that was meant to be bursting with applause for the 15-year-old. Yet, after a surprising fall from the Russian, Carolina began to crickets, moving with building heart.

Skating in a sparkling, layered white and silver dress, Kostner came through in the exact opposite way that she fell apart in Vancouver, moving the audience with her fluid performance.

“Stunning,” said two-time Olympian Johnny Weir, a commentator for NBC Sports.

“So long we have been thinking of Carolina as the artist,” added 1998 Olympic champion Tara Lipinski, also a NBC Sports commentator, “but her technique; she took everything down a grade and then built it back up these last four years. That was the whole package. ”

It’s a far cry from where she was days after Vancouver.

“I just believed that that was my limit,” Kostner remembered. “But something just told me that it’s not about the result, it’s about the personal experience, that is what is most important.”

Kostner didn’t have a convincing season. After failing to advance to the Grand Prix Final, she skipped the Italian Nationals and set about re-tooling both her programs, changing them with the Olympics in mind.

“When I was in my beginning position, I was scared out of my mind,” Kostner said, smiling. “I don’t know, it just came together. Skating isn’t about the medals or the results. I love what I do. It’s much more fun to win, but you cannot every time.”

If anything, Kostner only hopes for a performance better than what she put out in Vancouver four years ago. What’s the best way she can approach her Sochi free skate?

“To not think about it,” she said.

Latest Posts
  1. Rulon Gardner on returning to wrestling training, getting his gold medal back

May 22, 2015, 3:44 PM EDT

Rulon Gardner Getty Images

The 2000 Olympic champion continues to struggle with weight loss.

2. Rome mayor wants 2024 Olympic medal ceremonies in Colosseum

May 22, 2015, 9:57 AM EDT

Rome Colosseum Getty Images

“We want to rebuild the arena of the Colosseum so that the athletes can be lifted in like the gladiators in the Roman times.”

3. Olympians recall David Letterman appearances

May 21, 2015, 11:49 AM EDT

David Letterman, Tara Lipinski

Skaters, skiers, gymnasts, track and field athletes and more.

4. Russian Olympic boss sets Rio 2016 medal standings target

May 21, 2015, 9:18 AM EDT

Russia Getty Images

Russia ceded its place as top challenger to the U.S. in recent Olympics.

5. First set of Olympic rings unveiled in Rio de Janeiro

May 20, 2015, 8:10 PM EDT

Rio Olympic rings Getty Images

They were a gift from a previous Olympic host city.

6. Missy Franklin, more Olympians lead most marketable athletes list

May 20, 2015, 3:07 PM EDT

Missy Franklin Getty Images

Usain Bolt dropped on the list and is no longer the top track and field athlete.

7. German amputee keeps rivaling top long jumpers, eyes Olympics

May 20, 2015, 1:38 PM EDT

Markus Rehm Getty Images

Markus Rehm jumped another personal best on Saturday, moving up the list of top active jumpers.

8. David Letterman and the Olympics

May 20, 2015, 1:09 PM EDT

David Letterman Getty Images

Letterman had a special correspondent at the 1994 and 1998 Winter Olympics.

9. Caster Semenya: I can’t stop running because of gender controversy

May 20, 2015, 12:53 PM EDT

Getty Images Getty Images

The Olympic silver medalist has been off the elite competition radar for nearly two years.

10. Gwen Jorgensen’s triathlon bike helmet includes Paul Bunyan, Bucky Badger

May 20, 2015, 11:56 AM EDT

Gwen Jorgensen

The World champion explained the origin of her design.

11. Justin Gatlin: ‘All is fine’ with Beijing meet organizers

May 20, 2015, 9:15 AM EDT

Justin Gatlin Getty Images

Gatlin’s agent also called the sprinter “misunderstood.”

12. Roger Bannister’s shoes from 4-minute mile set for auction

May 20, 2015, 8:21 AM EDT

AP AP

A stopwatch used to time Bannister’s feat was also recently auctioned.

13. Emily Seebohm, top rival to Missy Franklin, dislocates knee

May 19, 2015, 12:41 PM EDT

Emily Seebohm Getty Images

Seebohm took silver behind Franklin in 2012 and 2013 but was faster last year.

14. Justin Gatlin ‘kicked out’ of Beijing track meet

May 19, 2015, 7:47 AM EDT

Justin Gatlin Getty Images

“They didn’t have any respect for me.”

15. Michael Phelps self-assessment: ‘horrendous,’ ‘garbage’ after winless Charlotte meet

May 18, 2015, 6:30 PM EDT

AP AP

The 22-time Olympic medalist finished first or second in zero events at a meet for the first time since the Sydney 2000 Olympics.

16. USA Diving finalizes World Championships roster

May 18, 2015, 10:45 AM EDT

David Boudia Getty Images

David Boudia leads the team, while a four-time Olympian just missed.

17. Mao Asada blogs about returning to figure skating

May 18, 2015, 7:18 AM EDT

Mao Asada Getty Images

The three-time World champion is training again but isn’t definite on competing.

18. U.S. grouped with Russia in 2018 Winter Olympic men’s hockey tournament

May 17, 2015, 11:30 PM EDT

Alex Ovechkin Getty Images

Canada is grouped with South Korea in what could be a rout in preliminary play.