Carolina Kostner closing in on elusive Olympic medal

Feb 19, 2014, 11:10 PM EST

kostnerAP AP

SOCHI, Russia – Four years ago, Carolina Kostner left the Vancouver ice after her free skate with her head clutched between her arms, barely able to stand after delivering what she herself might tell you was the worst performance of her life.

Thursday night in Sochi she could win an Olympic medal.

At 27, the Italian delivered a stirring performance Wednesday in the short program of the ladies’ singles event, skating to “Ave Maria” and equaling the music with her beauty across the ice.

“After Vancouver I thought that was it,” said Kostner, who sits in third place, less than a point from first. “I thought I would stop skating. I thought that was my end.”

One of the oldest skaters still competing on the international level, Kostner performed with the kind of steadied grace that only a veteran can possess. Long known as a soft and emotive skater, Kostner was her vintage self and poised in delivery.”

“I wanted to skate because I love it,” she said of why she decided to continue after Vancouver. “The hard times make you understand what you really want and I’m really glad that I continued and honored to have experienced everything that I have in the past years.”

After placing ninth at the Torino Games, Kostner plummeted to 16th in Vancouver, but chose to skate on, winning the World Championships in 2012 and tacking on two more European and National Championship titles.

She skated after Yulia Lipnitskaya Wednesday night at the Sochi Games in an arena that was meant to be bursting with applause for the 15-year-old. Yet, after a surprising fall from the Russian, Carolina began to crickets, moving with building heart.

Skating in a sparkling, layered white and silver dress, Kostner came through in the exact opposite way that she fell apart in Vancouver, moving the audience with her fluid performance.

“Stunning,” said two-time Olympian Johnny Weir, a commentator for NBC Sports.

“So long we have been thinking of Carolina as the artist,” added 1998 Olympic champion Tara Lipinski, also a NBC Sports commentator, “but her technique; she took everything down a grade and then built it back up these last four years. That was the whole package. ”

It’s a far cry from where she was days after Vancouver.

“I just believed that that was my limit,” Kostner remembered. “But something just told me that it’s not about the result, it’s about the personal experience, that is what is most important.”

Kostner didn’t have a convincing season. After failing to advance to the Grand Prix Final, she skipped the Italian Nationals and set about re-tooling both her programs, changing them with the Olympics in mind.

“When I was in my beginning position, I was scared out of my mind,” Kostner said, smiling. “I don’t know, it just came together. Skating isn’t about the medals or the results. I love what I do. It’s much more fun to win, but you cannot every time.”

If anything, Kostner only hopes for a performance better than what she put out in Vancouver four years ago. What’s the best way she can approach her Sochi free skate?

“To not think about it,” she said.

Latest Posts
  1. Sugar Ray Leonard and the Olympics

Mar 6, 2015, 1:33 PM EST

AP AP

He intended his last fight to be at the Olympics, but it didn’t work out that way.

2. U.S. Paralympic stars rack up more medals at IPC Alpine Worlds

Mar 6, 2015, 10:23 AM EST

Getty Images Getty Images

The IPC Alpine Skiing World Championships continue into next week.

3. Alan Webb set for first Olympic-sized triathlon test Saturday

Mar 5, 2015, 2:25 PM EST

Alan Webb

U.S. mile record holder wants to make the Rio Olympic team in triathlon.

4. Missy Franklin’s dream to become most decorated female swimmer ever

Mar 5, 2015, 2:20 PM EST

AP AP

Franklin will likely need at least two Olympics to pass three U.S. women who share the Olympic medals record.

5. Ronda Rousey says top female fighter Cyborg is ‘a known fraud’

Mar 5, 2015, 12:34 PM EST

AP AP

But the Olympic judo bronze medalist would welcome a fight with Cyborg under certain conditions.

6. Steve Nash: Canada has ‘outside shot’ at Olympic basketball medal

Mar 4, 2015, 9:39 AM EST

Steve Nash Getty Images

But a “50-50″ shot at qualifying for the Olympics this summer.

7. Joakim Noah unlikely for EuroBasket, in doubt for Olympics

Mar 4, 2015, 8:56 AM EST

AP AP

France may have to qualify for Rio with a team led by Tony Parker.

8. Michael Phelps may be reinstated for World Championships, report says

Mar 3, 2015, 10:20 PM EST

Michael Phelps Getty Images

Previously, Phelps and USA Swimming agreed he would withdraw from the World Championships team due to his DUI arrest.

9. David Boudia scraps springboard plan; Nick McCrory retires

Mar 3, 2015, 4:30 PM EST

David Boudia Getty Images

The Olympic champion competes next week for the first time since July.

10. Pan American Games medals include Braille (photos)

Mar 3, 2015, 11:07 AM EST

Pan American Games medal

How do the versions for Toronto 2015 compare to previous Pan Am Games medals?

11. Fukushima, site of nuclear disaster, wants to host 2020 Olympic baseball

Mar 3, 2015, 10:27 AM EST

Fukushima Getty Images

Even if baseball is re-added to the Olympics, Fukushima might not be a logical choice to host games.

12. England FA hopes to qualify soccer teams for Rio Olympics

Mar 2, 2015, 4:59 PM EST

Team GB Getty Images

Team GB’s men and women were ousted in the 2012 Olympic quarterfinals.

13. Ronda Rousey should scare men’s fighters, Jay Glazer says (video)

Mar 2, 2015, 2:28 PM EST

Ronda Rousey Getty Images

The Olympic judo bronze medalist is compared to a former dominant heavyweight boxer.

14. Kerri Walsh Jennings, April Ross confident after defeat in Brazil showdown

Mar 2, 2015, 11:47 AM EST

Getty Images Getty Images

Walsh Jennings also had breakfast with a beach legend in Rio de Janeiro.

15. South Africa 2024 Olympic bid ‘unrealistic,’ official says

Mar 2, 2015, 11:11 AM EST

South Africa flag Getty Images

IOC member and former South Africa Olympic Committee president previously said the nation was readying to bid.

16. Brittany Bowe sweeps at World Sprint Championships (video)

Mar 2, 2015, 10:21 AM EST

AP AP

Bowe skated with dominance not seen since 2003.