Carolina Kostner closing in on elusive Olympic medal

Feb 19, 2014, 11:10 PM EDT

kostnerAP AP

SOCHI, Russia – Four years ago, Carolina Kostner left the Vancouver ice after her free skate with her head clutched between her arms, barely able to stand after delivering what she herself might tell you was the worst performance of her life.

Thursday night in Sochi she could win an Olympic medal.

At 27, the Italian delivered a stirring performance Wednesday in the short program of the ladies’ singles event, skating to “Ave Maria” and equaling the music with her beauty across the ice.

“After Vancouver I thought that was it,” said Kostner, who sits in third place, less than a point from first. “I thought I would stop skating. I thought that was my end.”

One of the oldest skaters still competing on the international level, Kostner performed with the kind of steadied grace that only a veteran can possess. Long known as a soft and emotive skater, Kostner was her vintage self and poised in delivery.”

“I wanted to skate because I love it,” she said of why she decided to continue after Vancouver. “The hard times make you understand what you really want and I’m really glad that I continued and honored to have experienced everything that I have in the past years.”

After placing ninth at the Torino Games, Kostner plummeted to 16th in Vancouver, but chose to skate on, winning the World Championships in 2012 and tacking on two more European and National Championship titles.

She skated after Yulia Lipnitskaya Wednesday night at the Sochi Games in an arena that was meant to be bursting with applause for the 15-year-old. Yet, after a surprising fall from the Russian, Carolina began to crickets, moving with building heart.

Skating in a sparkling, layered white and silver dress, Kostner came through in the exact opposite way that she fell apart in Vancouver, moving the audience with her fluid performance.

“Stunning,” said two-time Olympian Johnny Weir, a commentator for NBC Sports.

“So long we have been thinking of Carolina as the artist,” added 1998 Olympic champion Tara Lipinski, also a NBC Sports commentator, “but her technique; she took everything down a grade and then built it back up these last four years. That was the whole package. ”

It’s a far cry from where she was days after Vancouver.

“I just believed that that was my limit,” Kostner remembered. “But something just told me that it’s not about the result, it’s about the personal experience, that is what is most important.”

Kostner didn’t have a convincing season. After failing to advance to the Grand Prix Final, she skipped the Italian Nationals and set about re-tooling both her programs, changing them with the Olympics in mind.

“When I was in my beginning position, I was scared out of my mind,” Kostner said, smiling. “I don’t know, it just came together. Skating isn’t about the medals or the results. I love what I do. It’s much more fun to win, but you cannot every time.”

If anything, Kostner only hopes for a performance better than what she put out in Vancouver four years ago. What’s the best way she can approach her Sochi free skate?

“To not think about it,” she said.

Latest Posts
  1. USOC, Los Angeles agree to 2024 Olympic bid, reports say

Aug 30, 2015, 5:01 PM EDT

Los Angeles Coliseum Getty Images

It can’t become official until later this week.

2. U.S. finishes World Championships with fewest medals since 2003

Aug 30, 2015, 10:25 AM EDT

U.S. 4x400m relay intro

“I’m going to cut the goat … and drink the blood.”

3. Ashton Eaton breaks decathlon world record, wins World Championship

Aug 29, 2015, 11:23 AM EDT

Ashton Eaton AP

Eaton was competing in his first decathlon in more than two years and wore a cooling hood.

4. Kayla Harrison stunned at World Judo Championships

Aug 28, 2015, 1:05 PM EDT

Kayla Harrison AP

“That feeling of wanting to crawl out of your skin.”

5. Anthony Davis would rather win second Olympic gold than first NBA MVP

Aug 28, 2015, 11:13 AM EDT

Anthony Davis Getty Images

Davis, the second youngest U.S. Olympic basketball player ever in 2012, played the fewest minutes for Team USA at the London Games.

6. Caitlyn Jenner keeps Olympic gold medal in makeup drawer

Aug 28, 2015, 11:11 AM EDT

Caitlyn Jenner AP

Jenner explains why the medal isn’t displayed.

7. Aries Merritt wins bronze before kidney transplant; incredible Worlds performances

Aug 28, 2015, 10:39 AM EDT

Ashton Eaton AP

Ashton Eaton clocks a decathlon world record. The third fastest woman ever in the 200m. The U.S. was shut out of the medals in its best event.

8. Usain Bolt receives gift from Segway cameraman at medal ceremony

Aug 28, 2015, 7:25 AM EDT

Usain Bolt, Tao Song

A CCTV cameraman presented Bolt with a red bracelet.

9. Usain Bolt may retire after Rio Olympics

Aug 27, 2015, 12:22 PM EDT

Usain Bolt AP

Bolt previously said he would retire after the 2017 World Championships.

10. Usain Bolt taken out by Segway (video)

Aug 27, 2015, 11:53 AM EDT

Usain Bolt, Segway

“The rumor I’m trying to start right now is that Justin Gatlin paid him off.”

11. Usain Bolt crushes Justin Gatlin in World Championships 200m

Aug 27, 2015, 11:52 AM EDT

Usain Bolt, Justin Gatlin AP

Also, Allyson Felix broke a U.S. record for World Championships medals.

12. Allyson Felix wins 400m, breaks U.S. record for Worlds medals; Rio preview?

Aug 27, 2015, 11:51 AM EDT

Allyson Felix

Felix could try to race two individual events at the Rio Olympics.

13. Usain Bolt and Justin Gatlin’s first race together from 2005 (video)

Aug 27, 2015, 7:48 AM EDT

Usain Bolt, Justin Gatlin

Justin Gatlin got the best of Usain Bolt in their only race before Gatlin’s doping ban.

14. Oscar Pistorius’ parole review date set, reports say

Aug 27, 2015, 6:51 AM EDT

Oscar Pistorius AP

Pistorius could be out of prison in weeks.

15. Sarah Hendrickson out for season after another knee surgery

Aug 26, 2015, 8:39 PM EDT

AP AP

The first female Olympic ski jumper reinjured her right knee.

16. Paul Wylie: I survived by the narrowest of margins

Aug 26, 2015, 2:14 PM EDT

Paul Wylie Getty Images

Wylie went into sudden cardiac arrest on April 21 and was in a medically induced coma for two days.

17. Jordan Spieth eyes childhood dream of walking in Opening Ceremony

Aug 26, 2015, 1:45 PM EDT

Jordan Spieth AP

The Opening Ceremony conflicts with a PGA Tour event.