Feb 18, 2014, 6:17 AM EDT
An Olympic gold medal is awesome.
But an Olympic gold medal made with bacon? Well, that’s the pinnacle of Awesome Mountain, right there.
Shortly after making history by becoming the first-ever Olympic men’s snowboard slopestyle champion, Sage Kotsenburg couldn’t help but wish his medal (and all of the Sochi medals) was made of smoked, meaty goodness:
Ahh I wish the Sochi medals were made out of bacon thoooo..!!—
sage kotsenburg (@sagekotsenburg) February 10, 2014
Not an unreasonable request when you’ve just won Team USA’s first gold in Sochi, right?
Well, one week later, a Pennsylvania-based meat company – Godshall’s Quality Meats – has come through for Sage.
As noted above, the company’s confirmed that it will be sending cooked and uncooked Sochi medals made from round slabs of their wood-smoked turkey bacon to Kotsenburg shortly.
“For athletes like Mr. Kotsenburg, it offers a high protein alternative to pork bacon with all the flavor and is 94 percent fat free,” said a Godshall’s statement. “It is also allergen free, gluten free, and has no MSG.”
Good to know. America’s king of “spoice” doesn’t need to be dealing with MSG, anyway.
- Haley Anderson wins Pan Pacs open-water 10K by .01 after jellyfish sting, move to Maui 0
- Gwen Jorgensen wins World Championship in triathlon 0
- How the FIBA World Cup impacts the Olympics 0
- Gwen Jorgensen’s glory awaits in Edmonton 0
- Tyson Gay last place in Zurich; Jenny Simpson leads U.S. winners (video) 0
- Youth Olympics wrap with Closing Ceremony, Lionel Messi cameo (photos) 0
- U.S. finishes Youth Olympics with 22 medals, 10 golds 1
- Emotional Bode Miller medals in race that mattered most (61)
- Russian women kissing after relay victory at World Championships causes stir (57)
- IOC drops wrestling from 2020 Olympics (47)
- South Korea filing official complaint over Yuna Kim’s Olympic silver (38)
- Zola Budd, 47, dominates college runners in 5K (33)