Feb 18, 2014, 6:17 AM EDT
An Olympic gold medal is awesome.
But an Olympic gold medal made with bacon? Well, that’s the pinnacle of Awesome Mountain, right there.
Shortly after making history by becoming the first-ever Olympic men’s snowboard slopestyle champion, Sage Kotsenburg couldn’t help but wish his medal (and all of the Sochi medals) was made of smoked, meaty goodness:
Not an unreasonable request when you’ve just won Team USA’s first gold in Sochi, right?
Well, one week later, a Pennsylvania-based meat company – Godshall’s Quality Meats – has come through for Sage.
As noted above, the company’s confirmed that it will be sending cooked and uncooked Sochi medals made from round slabs of their wood-smoked turkey bacon to Kotsenburg shortly.
“For athletes like Mr. Kotsenburg, it offers a high protein alternative to pork bacon with all the flavor and is 94 percent fat free,” said a Godshall’s statement. “It is also allergen free, gluten free, and has no MSG.”
Good to know. America’s king of “spoice” doesn’t need to be dealing with MSG, anyway.
- World Swimming Championships women’s preview 0
- World Swimming Championships men’s preview 2
- Beijing to host 2022 Winter Olympics; first city to hold Summer and Winter Games 4
- USOC collecting data on polluted Rio Olympic water venues 0
- World Swimming Championships broadcast schedule 0
- Almaty or Beijing? IOC set to choose 2022 Winter Olympic host 2
- Allyson Felix to run 400m at World Championships 1
- Emotional Bode Miller medals in race that mattered most (61)
- Russian women kissing after relay victory at World Championships causes stir (60)
- IOC drops wrestling from 2020 Olympics (47)
- South Korea filing official complaint over Yuna Kim’s Olympic silver (39)
- Zola Budd, 47, dominates college runners in 5K (33)