Feb 17, 2014, 6:30 AM EDT
After his attempts to adopt and take home a group of Sochi stray dogs went over big on social media, U.S. ski slopestyle silver medalist Gus Kenworthy summed up the attention by telling reporters: “A lot of girls like Olympians and puppies.”
Among those admirers was pop superstar Miley Cyrus.
Back on Valentine’s Day, Kenworthy was one of several Team USA stars that reached out to their celebrity crushes and asked them to be their valentines – and he chose the “Wrecking Ball” singer.
That eventually led to Cyrus giving Kenworthy a follow on Twitter…
…And soon, Cyrus was gushing over his cute Sochi pups like the rest of the world did.
Between this and joining Joss Christensen (gold) and Nick Goepper (bronze) in the third American medal sweep ever at a Winter Olympic Games (plus, a Kellogg’s Corn Flakes box), it hasn’t been a bad few days for Mr. Kenworthy.
- Usain Bolt eases Jamaica to win in his first race of 2014 0
- Gabby Douglas out of P&G Championships, at new gym, report says 0
- Simone Biles returns to Secret Classic a different gymnast 0
- Meb Keflezighi, Caroline Wozniacki to run New York City Marathon 0
- U.S. swimming rankings going into National Championships 0
- German long jump champion, a Paralympian, left off European Championships roster 3
- Eddy Alvarez heats up in Arizona League 0
- Emotional Bode Miller medals in race that mattered most (61)
- Russian women kissing after relay victory at World Championships causes stir (56)
- IOC drops wrestling from 2020 Olympics (47)
- South Korea filing official complaint over Yuna Kim’s Olympic silver (38)
- Zola Budd, 47, dominates college runners in 5K (33)