Feb 16, 2014, 7:55 AM EDT
As previously established, snowboarders can be a quirky bunch. Eva Samkova of the Czech Republic – your newly-crowned Olympic champion in women’s snowboard cross – is no different in that regard.
Before every final round that she competes in, Samkova has a mustache painted on above her upper lip.
In today’s case, her ‘stache was red, white and blue to match the colors of her country’s flag as this tweet from NBCOlympics.com’s Shawn Smith shows.
According to Samkova, the ritual is for good luck.
Per NBC Olympics, Samkova orders mustache stencils online after she and her teammates pick them out. The mustache is then drawn in with colored pencils.
“The whole team just picks up some mustaches and we’re like, ‘Maybe this, or no, maybe this,'” she said before Sochi. “It’s fun.”
With today’s victory, Samkova has claimed her first Olympic medal in her debut Games. She had been a threat for gold since winning two of her first three World Cup events this season.
- Katie Uhlaender, skeleton World champion, becomes track cyclist 0
- Missy Franklin returns to Colorado, coach Todd Schmitz 0
- Rulon Gardner on returning to wrestling training, getting his gold medal back 1
- David Letterman and the Olympics 0
- Caster Semenya: I can’t stop running because of gender controversy 0
- Roger Bannister’s shoes from 4-minute mile set for auction 2
- Justin Gatlin ‘kicked out’ of Beijing track meet 1
- Emotional Bode Miller medals in race that mattered most (61)
- Russian women kissing after relay victory at World Championships causes stir (60)
- IOC drops wrestling from 2020 Olympics (47)
- South Korea filing official complaint over Yuna Kim’s Olympic silver (39)
- Zola Budd, 47, dominates college runners in 5K (33)