Feb 15, 2014, 11:22 AM EDT
T.J. Oshie went from a controversial Team USA selection to the face of the team in a matter of minutes on Saturday.
A few shootout goals will do that.
The St. Louis Blues winger isn’t even the best Blues player on the roster. (That would be David Backes.) But his specific ability to score shootout goals was the primary reason he’s in Sochi. That’s what one calls a perfect set up.
Oshie scored four of the six U.S. goals in the win vs. Russia, prompting a massive Twitter swell of affection for Oshie. At 10:22 am ET, he had 92,000 Twitter followers.An hour later, it was 131,000. His mentions, as you might expect, came fast and furious. A sampling:
I don’t know if the US won or TJ Oshie won that was amazing. Great win. Strap on your boots gonna get exciting
— MIKE ERUZIONE (@MERUZIONE) February 15, 2014
Congrats to T.J. Oshie and the U.S. men’s hockey team on a huge win! Never stop believing in miracles. #GoTeamUSA -bo
— The White House (@WhiteHouse) February 15, 2014
— Rich Herrera (@RBIrich) February 15, 2014
TJ Oshie scores in the shootout and coach is like pic.twitter.com/SD4IoaiP2G
— CBIII (@ChuckySlick) February 15, 2014
— Mingo Winters (@mingolaw) February 15, 2014
I love that TJ Oshie’s number is 74 … 7-4 … the Fourth of July. USA! USA! USA!
— Matt Crossman (@MattCrossman_) February 15, 2014
— U.S Military Academy (@WestPoint_USMA) February 15, 2014
TJ Oshie can pretty much leave his wallet home for the rest of these Olympics because he is NOT buying.
— Ralph D. Russo (@ralphDrussoAP) February 15, 2014
— Erin Hamlin (@erinhamlin) February 15, 2014
It’s TJ Oshie’s America and we’re all just living in it.
— Troy Machir (@TroyMachir) February 15, 2014
Coincidence that Charlie Conway from mighty ducks and TJ Oshie look like twins. I don’t think so pic.twitter.com/0VyIIWaxZL
— Erik Sa (@eriksa10) February 15, 2014
My mind is still processing that USA-Russia game and that shootout. It’s like the movie Inception. What part was real?
— Joe Posnanski (@JPosnanski) February 15, 2014
Team USA winger Max Pacioretty on shootout: “I didn’t know whether to watch or not watch…I almost had a heart attack.”
— Rachel Nichols (@Rachel__Nichols) February 15, 2014
Whoever did this to T.J Oshie’s wiki page you are my hero pic.twitter.com/q7TEwTXjli
— Dillon Leisure (@DillonLeisure) February 15, 2014
And what about the man himself? Sounds like his charm will only boost his stature.
T.J. Oshie: “I was glad it ended when it did. I was running out of moves.”
— Chris Johnston (@reporterchris) February 15, 2014
- Rulon Gardner on returning to wrestling training, getting his gold medal back 1
- David Letterman and the Olympics 0
- Caster Semenya: I can’t stop running because of gender controversy 0
- Roger Bannister’s shoes from 4-minute mile set for auction 2
- Justin Gatlin ‘kicked out’ of Beijing track meet 1
- Michael Phelps self-assessment: ‘horrendous,’ ‘garbage’ after winless Charlotte meet 5
- Mao Asada blogs about returning to figure skating 2
- Emotional Bode Miller medals in race that mattered most (61)
- Russian women kissing after relay victory at World Championships causes stir (60)
- IOC drops wrestling from 2020 Olympics (47)
- South Korea filing official complaint over Yuna Kim’s Olympic silver (39)
- Zola Budd, 47, dominates college runners in 5K (33)