One more comeback for retiring Jeremy Abbott

Feb 14, 2014, 9:10 PM EDT

SOCHI, Russia – His hip badly bruised from a cringe-worthy fall on Thursday night, Jeremy Abbott’s pride was far from far injured. In fact, the to-be-retired 28-year-old went out and skated a personal-best free skate to finish his second of two Olympic appearances.

“Of course I would have wanted an Olympic title, a world title,” Abbott said after his long program. “But, this is my story. And I’m proud of it.”

The American, long known to be a hot-and-cold performer on international ice, wasn’t able to say if he’d skate at the World Championships next month in Japan, leaving it a mystery as to if Sochi was the last place he’d skate competitively.

“I’m so happy to have had this experience and finish the competition,” Abbott said. “I really showed courage under pressure. That is what the Olympics are all about and they’ve inspired me once again. The crowd really rallied around me and I appreciated that. I had to scale back my program because of pain.”

VIDEO: Full recap of men’s free skate

What Abbott didn’t scale back was his emotion and expressions on the ice, skating with a kind of heart that one can only have after a decade of competition. He finishes with four U.S. national titles, two Olympic appearances and eight Grand Prix medals on the international circuit.

“I’ve had a lot of ups and downs in my career; it’s been a roller coaster,” said Abbott, who fought back tears as he spoke. “But my favorite memories are when I’ve come back from the bottom.”

That’s what Abbott had to do twice in Sochi, having skated to a low 65.65 in the team event short program and then suffering a horrific crash on his opening jump in the individual event, which caused him to alter his jumping patterns in the free skate.

“I had to change my program because of bruising from my hip to my ribs,” Abbott said, explaining his muscled had seized up in that part of his body, as well. “We took out all the loops from my program, they were just too painful.”

VIDEO: Jeremy Abbott’s “beautiful” Olympic swan song

Abbott, as he deserves to do, will take the remainder of his time in Sochi to soak up the Olympics.

“I’m going to revel in the Olympic moment,” the Colorado native said. “I wouldn’t change what I’ve done for anything. I can own it forever. I’m just so grateful to have this opportunity.”

Latest Posts
  1. Catching up with Bruce Jenner

Apr 16, 2014, 2:57 PM EDT

Bruce Jenner Getty Images

Decathlon champion talks Montreal 1976, Steve Prefontaine and the greatest athlete of all time.

2. Boston Marathon finish line security visibility increased after backpack incident

Apr 16, 2014, 11:31 AM EDT

Boston Marathon AP

Police commissioner asks spectators not to flock to Boylston Street on Monday.

3. Oscar Pistorius trial will take break for 2 weeks

Apr 16, 2014, 8:56 AM EDT

Oscar Pistorius AP

Judge will spend break reading 2,000-page court record.

4. ISU receives South Korea complaint over figure skating judging

Apr 16, 2014, 4:17 AM EDT

Yuna Kim Getty Images

Korea Skating Union is protesting the makeup of judges, not the results.

5. Boston Marathon tribute, moment of silence held near finish line

Apr 15, 2014, 3:59 PM EDT

Boston Marathon Bombing Anniversary AP

Survivors, first responders, those affected by attack take part in tribute.

6. Boston sports teams share same #BostonStrong tweet

Apr 15, 2014, 12:16 PM EDT

Boston Strong

Teams’ tweets sent at same time Tuesday morning.

7. Usain Bolt talks about foot injury, focus beyond 2014

Apr 15, 2014, 11:55 AM EDT

Usain Bolt Getty Images

World’s fastest man might not race again until June.

8. Can Michael Phelps excel in comeback?

Apr 15, 2014, 11:28 AM EDT

Michael Phelps AP

What is the competition like in Phelps’ potential events?

9. Oscar Pistorius’ cross-examination ends at murder trial

Apr 15, 2014, 10:26 AM EDT

Oscar Pistorius

Prosecution asks for break until May 5.

10. Boston Marathon tragedy remembered on anniversary

Apr 15, 2014, 8:16 AM EDT

Boston Marathon Reuters

Ceremony, moment of silence to honor, remember last year’s tragedy.

11. Catching up with Mark Henry

Apr 14, 2014, 4:47 PM EDT

Mark Henry Getty Images

‘World’s Strongest Man’ talks about nude photo shoot, pro wrestling career, meeting Andre the Giant.

12. Michael Phelps coming out of retirement

Apr 14, 2014, 1:45 PM EDT

Michael Phelps AP

Phelps announced as headliner for meet next week, ending two-year break.

13. How Michael Phelps spent his retirement (photos)

Apr 14, 2014, 1:20 PM EDT

Pele, Michael Phelps AP

22-time Olympic medalist expected to come out of retirement next week.

14. Update: One runner dies, another goes missing, found after London Marathon

Apr 14, 2014, 12:08 PM EDT

London Marathon

Woman who finished 20th found day after disappearing.

15. International Ski Federation defends slopestyle’s safety

Apr 14, 2014, 10:34 AM EDT

Alexey Sobolev Reuters

It’s too early to draw conclusions on Sochi, FIS official says.

16. Oscar Pistorius emotionally breaks down as prosecution alleges inconsistencies

Apr 14, 2014, 10:26 AM EDT

Oscar Pistorius

Pistorius hugged by woman as he enters court, signs autograph after Monday’s session.

17. Slopestyle’s injury rate too high for Olympics, IOC official says

Apr 13, 2014, 8:13 AM EDT

Shaun White Reuters

Ski and snowboard slopestyle’s injury rates highest among Sochi sports.

18. Boston Marathon details security near finish line

Apr 13, 2014, 7:56 AM EDT

Boston Marathon Reuters

More checkpoints, police officers along Boylston Street to the finish.

19. Mo Farah beaten in London Marathon (video)

Apr 13, 2014, 7:23 AM EDT

Mo Farah Getty Images

Farah asked if he will continue marathon running after disappointing finish.

20. USOC has ‘serious concerns’ about USA Curling

Apr 12, 2014, 8:04 AM EDT

John Shuster, Jared Zezel, John Landsteiner AP

U.S. men’s, women’s teams combined for 3-15 record in Sochi.

Inside Michael Phelps' comeback