One more comeback for retiring Jeremy Abbott

Feb 14, 2014, 9:10 PM EST

SOCHI, Russia – His hip badly bruised from a cringe-worthy fall on Thursday night, Jeremy Abbott’s pride was far from far injured. In fact, the to-be-retired 28-year-old went out and skated a personal-best free skate to finish his second of two Olympic appearances.

“Of course I would have wanted an Olympic title, a world title,” Abbott said after his long program. “But, this is my story. And I’m proud of it.”

The American, long known to be a hot-and-cold performer on international ice, wasn’t able to say if he’d skate at the World Championships next month in Japan, leaving it a mystery as to if Sochi was the last place he’d skate competitively.

“I’m so happy to have had this experience and finish the competition,” Abbott said. “I really showed courage under pressure. That is what the Olympics are all about and they’ve inspired me once again. The crowd really rallied around me and I appreciated that. I had to scale back my program because of pain.”

VIDEO: Full recap of men’s free skate

What Abbott didn’t scale back was his emotion and expressions on the ice, skating with a kind of heart that one can only have after a decade of competition. He finishes with four U.S. national titles, two Olympic appearances and eight Grand Prix medals on the international circuit.

“I’ve had a lot of ups and downs in my career; it’s been a roller coaster,” said Abbott, who fought back tears as he spoke. “But my favorite memories are when I’ve come back from the bottom.”

That’s what Abbott had to do twice in Sochi, having skated to a low 65.65 in the team event short program and then suffering a horrific crash on his opening jump in the individual event, which caused him to alter his jumping patterns in the free skate.

“I had to change my program because of bruising from my hip to my ribs,” Abbott said, explaining his muscled had seized up in that part of his body, as well. “We took out all the loops from my program, they were just too painful.”

VIDEO: Jeremy Abbott’s “beautiful” Olympic swan song

Abbott, as he deserves to do, will take the remainder of his time in Sochi to soak up the Olympics.

“I’m going to revel in the Olympic moment,” the Colorado native said. “I wouldn’t change what I’ve done for anything. I can own it forever. I’m just so grateful to have this opportunity.”

Latest Posts
  1. Rio Olympic Park construction progress (photos)

Nov 28, 2014, 2:57 PM EST

Rio Olympic Park

How the venues for basketball, swimming and other sports are coming along.

2. Mikaela Shiffrin: ‘I’m trying to show people what’s not impossible’

Nov 28, 2014, 11:33 AM EST

Mikaela Shiffrin Getty Images

The youngest Olympic slalom champion tries to emulate one skier above all the rest — an Olympic men’s champion.

3. Four-year ban sought for Carolina Kostner

Nov 28, 2014, 11:17 AM EST

Carolina Kostner Getty Images

Kostner, the Olympic and World figure skating bronze medalist, is taking this season off.

4. Seb Coe outlines concerns for track and field, eyes IAAF presidency

Nov 28, 2014, 11:01 AM EST

Seb Coe Getty Images

Coe sees problems with the World Championships and Diamond League.

5. Iouri Podladtchikov out after ankle surgery

Nov 28, 2014, 10:41 AM EST

Iouri Podladtchikov Getty Images

Olympic champion’s status for World Championships in January is unclear.

6. Gracie Gold leads NHK Trophy; Yuzuru Hanyu struggles

Nov 28, 2014, 10:30 AM EST

Gracie Gold Getty Images

Grand Prix final picture includes plenty of Americans.

7. Rio Olympic golf course work can continue, judge orders

Nov 28, 2014, 9:42 AM EST

Rio Olympic golf course AP

Legal battle may not be finished, however.

8. Sapporo mayor plans 2026 Winter Olympic bid

Nov 28, 2014, 9:24 AM EST

Sapporo Getty Images

Japanese site could break a 46-year Winter Olympic streak.

9. Viktor Tikhonov tribute held at hockey arena (video)

Nov 28, 2014, 8:47 AM EST

Viktor Tikhonov Getty Images

Tikhonov died earlier this week at 84 after a long illness.

10. Ted Ligety (wrist) out this weekend

Nov 28, 2014, 8:15 AM EST

Ted Ligety Getty Images

Olympic champion hopes to return for Beaver Creek next weekend.

11. NBC Sports, Universal to air unprecedented U.S. ski, snowboard coverage this season

Nov 26, 2014, 1:06 PM EST

Ted Ligety Getty Images

Full schedule of coverage across World Cups, Grand Prix events and World Championships.

12. U.S. figure skaters officially bronze medalists, 50 years later

Nov 26, 2014, 7:42 AM EST

Vivian Joseph, Ronald Joseph Getty Images

Sister-brother team had bronze medals, but the official results didn’t reflect that until Tuesday.

13. Katie Ledecky faces decisions in 2015, 2016

Nov 25, 2014, 10:46 AM EST

Katie Ledecky Getty Images

Scheduling conflicts, another new event?

14. Rio Olympic commemorative coins to be issued

Nov 25, 2014, 9:27 AM EST

Rio Olympic coins

Christ the Redeemer, Olympic motto honored on the coins.

15. Michael Phelps back in the pool; Phelps, Ledecky win Golden Goggles

Nov 24, 2014, 10:23 PM EST

Michael Phelps Getty Images

Phelps is working toward 2015 goals, a North Baltimore official said.

16. Pat Quinn, who coached Canada to gold in 2002, dies at 71

Nov 24, 2014, 11:25 AM EST

Pat Quinn Getty Images

Canada won its first men’s hockey Olympic gold in 50 years under Quinn.

17. Claressa Shields, Marlen Esparza win World Boxing Championships

Nov 24, 2014, 10:11 AM EST

Claressa Shields Getty Images

Olympic champion Shields was named the tournament’s best overall boxer.

18. Viktor Tikhonov, Soviet Union Olympic hockey coach, dies at 84

Nov 24, 2014, 9:17 AM EST

Viktor Tikhonov Getty Images

Tikhonov led the Soviets in the Miracle on Ice game.