One more comeback for retiring Jeremy Abbott

Feb 14, 2014, 9:10 PM EST

SOCHI, Russia – His hip badly bruised from a cringe-worthy fall on Thursday night, Jeremy Abbott’s pride was far from far injured. In fact, the to-be-retired 28-year-old went out and skated a personal-best free skate to finish his second of two Olympic appearances.

“Of course I would have wanted an Olympic title, a world title,” Abbott said after his long program. “But, this is my story. And I’m proud of it.”

The American, long known to be a hot-and-cold performer on international ice, wasn’t able to say if he’d skate at the World Championships next month in Japan, leaving it a mystery as to if Sochi was the last place he’d skate competitively.

“I’m so happy to have had this experience and finish the competition,” Abbott said. “I really showed courage under pressure. That is what the Olympics are all about and they’ve inspired me once again. The crowd really rallied around me and I appreciated that. I had to scale back my program because of pain.”

VIDEO: Full recap of men’s free skate

What Abbott didn’t scale back was his emotion and expressions on the ice, skating with a kind of heart that one can only have after a decade of competition. He finishes with four U.S. national titles, two Olympic appearances and eight Grand Prix medals on the international circuit.

“I’ve had a lot of ups and downs in my career; it’s been a roller coaster,” said Abbott, who fought back tears as he spoke. “But my favorite memories are when I’ve come back from the bottom.”

That’s what Abbott had to do twice in Sochi, having skated to a low 65.65 in the team event short program and then suffering a horrific crash on his opening jump in the individual event, which caused him to alter his jumping patterns in the free skate.

“I had to change my program because of bruising from my hip to my ribs,” Abbott said, explaining his muscled had seized up in that part of his body, as well. “We took out all the loops from my program, they were just too painful.”

VIDEO: Jeremy Abbott’s “beautiful” Olympic swan song

Abbott, as he deserves to do, will take the remainder of his time in Sochi to soak up the Olympics.

“I’m going to revel in the Olympic moment,” the Colorado native said. “I wouldn’t change what I’ve done for anything. I can own it forever. I’m just so grateful to have this opportunity.”

Latest Posts
  1. Is Simone Biles unbeatable?

Feb 26, 2015, 4:48 PM EST

Getty Images Getty Images

U.S. Olympic legend said yes. Top U.S. gymnast says no.

2. Elana Meyers Taylor in line for history at bobsled World Championships

Feb 26, 2015, 10:48 AM EST

Elana Meyers Taylor Getty Images

Meanwhile, the Olympic champion is well back in Winterberg.

3. Bernard Lagat cancels farewell tour with Rio in mind

Feb 25, 2015, 3:34 PM EST

AP AP

“Would I really slow down that much that I wouldn’t make the (Olympic) team? I don’t think so.”

4. Duel in the Pool returns to U.S.

Feb 25, 2015, 12:17 PM EST

Duel in the Pool Getty Images

The U.S. is undefeated in six editions of the Ryder Cup-style event.

5. Rio Olympics could have multiple cauldrons

Feb 25, 2015, 10:37 AM EST

Pan American Games cauldron Getty Images

The Opening and Closing ceremonies will be held at a venue separate from the Olympic Stadium for track and field.

6. Former WNBA No. 1 draft pick switches from U.S. to Belarus

Feb 24, 2015, 11:08 AM EST

Lindsey Harding Getty Images

The only NCAA Player of the Year winner since 1997 not to play for the U.S. at a Worlds or Olympics.

7. U.S. cross-country skiers share historic podium at World Championships (video)

Feb 24, 2015, 10:35 AM EST

Jessie Diggins, Caitlin Gregg Getty Images

Olympians nearly double the previous U.S. tally for World Championships medals.

8. Behind the scenes of Miracle on Ice reunion

Feb 24, 2015, 10:30 AM EST

AP AP

Inside the locker room with the players and more.

9. Nastia Liukin adds to history of Olympians on ‘Dancing With the Stars’

Feb 24, 2015, 9:32 AM EST

Nastia Liukin Getty Images

Liukin is the third U.S. Olympic champion gymnast to go on the show.

10. Mikaela Shiffrin wins Maribor slalom, snags World Cup lead in teenage finale (video)

Feb 22, 2015, 8:51 AM EST

Getty Images Getty Images

Shiffrin won her 13th World Cup race as a teen, bettered by only one woman in history.

11. Kyla Ross commits to UCLA

Feb 22, 2015, 8:19 AM EST

Getty Images Getty Images

Ross joins a long line of Olympic women’s gymnasts to choose UCLA.

12. Michael Phelps gets engaged (photos)

Feb 22, 2015, 8:06 AM EST

Michael Phelps

Phelps is expected to return to competition following his suspension in April.

13. ‘Relive the Miracle’ reunion emotional for 1980 U.S. Olympic hockey team

Feb 21, 2015, 11:45 PM EST

AP AP

All living members joked and reminisced in the “Relive the Miracle” ceremony at Herb Brooks Arena.

14. Mike Eruzione, Miracle teammates remember Bob Suter, recall 1980 memories

Feb 21, 2015, 4:00 PM EST

AP AP

Look for more on the Miracle on Ice reunion on NBC’s Hockey Day in American coverage on Sunday at noon ET.

15. Lindsey Vonn falls in Maribor giant slalom (video)

Feb 21, 2015, 8:14 AM EST

Getty Images Getty Images

Vonn “looked in pain and limped,” according to The Associated Press.

16. How the Miracle on Ice reunion came together

Feb 20, 2015, 12:39 PM EST

Miracle on Ice AP

All living members of the 1980 U.S. Olympic hockey team will gather for just the third time in 35 years on Saturday, and the first time in Lake Placid.

17. 1980 U.S. Olympic team members gather for ‘Relive the Miracle’ in Lake Placid

Feb 20, 2015, 12:37 PM EST

AP AP

The event on Saturday night will be bittersweet, Mike Eruzione said.

18. Sarah Hendrickson sixth at ski jumping World Championships

Feb 20, 2015, 12:31 PM EST

Getty Images Getty Images

Hendrickson was defending her 2013 title, following her August 2013 crash and Sochi Olympic comeback.

19. Holley Mangold gets Olympic rings tattoo on her head

Feb 20, 2015, 11:10 AM EST

Holley Mangold

London Olympian is one of the top U.S. weightlifters.