Feb 14, 2014, 9:51 AM EST
Ashley Caldwell generated easily the best score of the women’s aerials qualifying round, generating a 101.25 score. No one else cracked 87.
Caldwell and Emily Cook represent the U.S. among six aerials skiers who made it straight to the finals from the first qualifying run while six more will qualify after the second. Cook came in fifth with an 80.01 score.
Caldwell, 20, blew away the competition in this round, but that doesn’t mean that she’s the only strong contender for gold. Cook as well as high-level Chinese and Australian competitors. Especially with 2014′s knockout format in mind.
Nina Li and Shuang Cheng of China already advanced while Danielle Scott did so for Australia, while Russia’s Assoli Slivets gives onlookers some local rooting interest.
- U.S. wins 3 medals on first day of Sochi Paralympics 0
- Mikaela Shiffrin captures slalom title, inspired by girl with leukemia 0
- Ted Ligety wins first post-Olympic race, notches World Cup first 0
- President Obama yet to deliver after losing Olympic beer bet 1
- Shannon Szabados joins men’s pro hockey team 0
- Oscar Pistorius said ‘everything is fine’ to security calling about gunshot reports (video) 0
- Ukraine may leave Sochi Paralympics if situation escalates 0