Feb 14, 2014, 9:51 AM EDT
Ashley Caldwell generated easily the best score of the women’s aerials qualifying round, generating a 101.25 score. No one else cracked 87.
Caldwell and Emily Cook represent the U.S. among six aerials skiers who made it straight to the finals from the first qualifying run while six more will qualify after the second. Cook came in fifth with an 80.01 score.
Caldwell, 20, blew away the competition in this round, but that doesn’t mean that she’s the only strong contender for gold. Cook as well as high-level Chinese and Australian competitors. Especially with 2014′s knockout format in mind.
Nina Li and Shuang Cheng of China already advanced while Danielle Scott did so for Australia, while Russia’s Assoli Slivets gives onlookers some local rooting interest.
- Boston Marathon to move forward with traditional spectacle of a finish 0
- Boston Marathon men’s preview 0
- Boston Marathon women’s preview 0
- Miracle on Ice hockey player selling his Olympic gold medal 1
- Evelyn Furtsch Ojeda is first female U.S. Olympic champion to reach 100 years old 0
- Oscar Pistorius’ prosthetic leg used in testimony 0
- Summer Sanders returns to run Boston Marathon again 0
- Emotional Bode Miller medals in race that mattered most (61)
- Russian women kissing after relay victory at World Championships causes stir (55)
- IOC drops wrestling from 2020 Olympics (46)
- South Korea filing official complaint over Yuna Kim’s Olympic silver (37)
- Zola Budd, 47, dominates college runners in 5K (33)