Feb 14, 2014, 9:51 AM EST
Ashley Caldwell generated easily the best score of the women’s aerials qualifying round, generating a 101.25 score. No one else cracked 87.
Caldwell and Emily Cook represent the U.S. among six aerials skiers who made it straight to the finals from the first qualifying run while six more will qualify after the second. Cook came in fifth with an 80.01 score.
Caldwell, 20, blew away the competition in this round, but that doesn’t mean that she’s the only strong contender for gold. Cook as well as high-level Chinese and Australian competitors. Especially with 2014′s knockout format in mind.
Nina Li and Shuang Cheng of China already advanced while Danielle Scott did so for Australia, while Russia’s Assoli Slivets gives onlookers some local rooting interest.
- Maksim Kovtun rallies to win Trophee Bompard; Grand Prix Final picture 0
- Ashley Wagner in Grand Prix Final fight after finishing behind Russians at Trophee Bompard 0
- Angelina Jolie showed Louis Zamperini scenes of ‘Unbroken’ on hospital bed 0
- Joss Christensen becomes ‘mountain man’ since Sochi Olympics 0
- IOC proposes adding Olympic events, bid reforms 0
- Ryan Lochte: I have no doubt Michael Phelps will come back 1
- Doha gets 2019 World Track and Field Championships over Eugene, Barcelona 2
- Emotional Bode Miller medals in race that mattered most (61)
- Russian women kissing after relay victory at World Championships causes stir (60)
- IOC drops wrestling from 2020 Olympics (47)
- South Korea filing official complaint over Yuna Kim’s Olympic silver (39)
- Zola Budd, 47, dominates college runners in 5K (33)