Feb 13, 2014, 11:05 AM EDT
Just before today’s men’s figure skating short program, Russian veteran and star Yevgeny Plushenko withdrew from the competition due to an apparent injury suffered in warmups.
Plushenko had competed for Russia in last week’s team event, finishing second in the men’s short program and winning in the men’s free skate to help the host nation claim its first gold medal of the Sochi Olympics.
As a result of the withdrawal, Russia will not have a competitor to contend for the men’s title.
You can watch the men’s short program LIVE on NBCSN or at NBCOlympics.com right now.
- Meb Keflezighi in familiar spot as New York City Marathon underdog 0
- Matt Anderson taking break from volleyball due to depression 0
- Caroline Wozniacki nervous for New York City Marathon, even in her dreams 0
- Prosecutors to appeal Oscar Pistorius verdict, sentence 3
- Russian triumphs at Skate America; Gracie Gold third (video) 4
- Ted Ligety struggles in first race of season (video) 0
- Japan’s Machida routs U.S. men at Skate America; ice dancers make history 0
- Emotional Bode Miller medals in race that mattered most (61)
- Russian women kissing after relay victory at World Championships causes stir (60)
- IOC drops wrestling from 2020 Olympics (47)
- South Korea filing official complaint over Yuna Kim’s Olympic silver (39)
- Zola Budd, 47, dominates college runners in 5K (33)