Feb 13, 2014, 11:05 AM EDT
Just before today’s men’s figure skating short program, Russian veteran and star Yevgeny Plushenko withdrew from the competition due to an apparent injury suffered in warmups.
Plushenko had competed for Russia in last week’s team event, finishing second in the men’s short program and winning in the men’s free skate to help the host nation claim its first gold medal of the Sochi Olympics.
As a result of the withdrawal, Russia will not have a competitor to contend for the men’s title.
You can watch the men’s short program LIVE on NBCSN or at NBCOlympics.com right now.
- USOC to talk with other three finalists to replace Boston 2024 Olympic bid 0
- World Swimming Championships women’s preview 0
- World Swimming Championships men’s preview 2
- Beijing to host 2022 Winter Olympics; first city to hold Summer and Winter Games 4
- USOC collecting data on polluted Rio Olympic water venues 0
- World Swimming Championships broadcast schedule 0
- Almaty or Beijing? IOC set to choose 2022 Winter Olympic host 2
- Emotional Bode Miller medals in race that mattered most (61)
- Russian women kissing after relay victory at World Championships causes stir (60)
- IOC drops wrestling from 2020 Olympics (47)
- South Korea filing official complaint over Yuna Kim’s Olympic silver (39)
- Zola Budd, 47, dominates college runners in 5K (33)