Feb 13, 2014, 11:05 AM EDT
Just before today’s men’s figure skating short program, Russian veteran and star Yevgeny Plushenko withdrew from the competition due to an apparent injury suffered in warmups.
Plushenko had competed for Russia in last week’s team event, finishing second in the men’s short program and winning in the men’s free skate to help the host nation claim its first gold medal of the Sochi Olympics.
As a result of the withdrawal, Russia will not have a competitor to contend for the men’s title.
You can watch the men’s short program LIVE on NBCSN or at NBCOlympics.com right now.
- U.S. women struggle, trail Russian brilliance after World Championships short program 1
- Canadians win World pairs title; best U.S. finish since 2011 0
- Usain Bolt to race individually in U.S. for first time since 2008 0
- Tara Lipinski, Johnny Weir preview World Championships men’s, pairs events 0
- Boston 2024 calls for statewide referendum for Olympic bid 1
- U.S. would top 2016 Olympic medal standings in virtual projection 0
- Tara Lipinski, Johnny Weir preview World Championships women’s, ice dance events 0
- Emotional Bode Miller medals in race that mattered most (61)
- Russian women kissing after relay victory at World Championships causes stir (60)
- IOC drops wrestling from 2020 Olympics (47)
- South Korea filing official complaint over Yuna Kim’s Olympic silver (39)
- Zola Budd, 47, dominates college runners in 5K (33)