Feb 13, 2014, 11:05 AM EST
Just before today’s men’s figure skating short program, Russian veteran and star Yevgeny Plushenko withdrew from the competition due to an apparent injury suffered in warmups.
Plushenko had competed for Russia in last week’s team event, finishing second in the men’s short program and winning in the men’s free skate to help the host nation claim its first gold medal of the Sochi Olympics.
As a result of the withdrawal, Russia will not have a competitor to contend for the men’s title.
You can watch the men’s short program LIVE on NBCSN or at NBCOlympics.com right now.
- Tori Bowie ‘going after medals’ after breakthrough season 0
- Yohan Blake details ‘dreams’ for 2015 0
- South Korean Olympic swim champ Park Tae-hwan fails drug test 1
- Jason Brown wins first U.S. figure skating title 2
- Lindsey Vonn wins final race before World Championships (video) 0
- Ashley Wagner shatters records for third U.S. figure skating title 3
- Chloe Kim wins Winter X Games halfpipe at age 14 0
- Emotional Bode Miller medals in race that mattered most (61)
- Russian women kissing after relay victory at World Championships causes stir (60)
- IOC drops wrestling from 2020 Olympics (47)
- South Korea filing official complaint over Yuna Kim’s Olympic silver (39)
- Zola Budd, 47, dominates college runners in 5K (33)