Feb 13, 2014, 2:51 PM EST
Yuzuru Hanyu earned a world-record short program score to take the lead in the men’s figure skating competition going into tomorrow’s free skate – an event that will also begin with Jason Brown of the U.S. in contention to win a medal in his first Olympics.
Hanyu became the first man to ever score more than 100 points in a short program and also eclipsed the previous top mark that he himself set in December, a 99.84 in the Grand Prix Final that took place on his home ground.
In that event, Hanyu was able to defeat three-time reigning world champion Patrick Chan, who finds himself looking up at the 19-year-old Japanese phenom in second place.
However, with a short program score of 97.52, Chan is well within striking distance for tomorrow’s free skate.
Third-place Javier Fernandez of Spain is farther back after a score of 86.98 and finds himself in a dogfight for bronze that has Brown right in the middle of it.
The Highland Park, Illinois skater and YouTube star is one of three skaters within a single point of Fernandez going into the free skate, and one of five skaters within two points of the Spaniard.
Brown’s strong short program, set to Prince’s “The Question Of U”, netted a new personal-best score of 86.00 that eventually put him sixth.
The night got off to a dramatic start when Russian star Yevgeny Plushenko was forced to withdraw after an apparent injury in warmups.
Shortly afterwards, the 2006 Olympic men’s champion announced his retirement after helping Russia gain the gold last week in the inaugural team competition.
More drama unfolded when Jeremy Abbott of the U.S. fell hard on his opening jump, staying on the ice for several seconds.
Spurred on by the crowd inside the Iceberg Skating Palace, Abbott got back up holding his side but then went on to finish out his program cleanly and with vigor.
The gritty display triggered waves of applause from the fans, who were seemingly revitalized after having gone into silence following the announcement of Plushenko’s withdrawal.
Abbott sits 15th going into the free skate.
FIGURE SKATING – MEN’S SHORT PROGRAM (TOP 10)
1. Yuzuru Hanyu (JPN), 101.45
2. Patrick Chan (CAN), 97.52
3. Javier Fernandez (ESP), 86.98
4. Daisuke Takahashi (JPN), 86.40
5. Peter Liebers (GER), 86.04
6. Jason Brown (USA), 86.00
7. Brian Joubert (FRA), 85.84
8. Han Yan (CHN), 85.66
9. Denis Tan (KAZ), 84.06
10. Alexander Majorov (SWE), 83.81
15. Jeremy Abbott (USA), 72.58
Mar 4, 2015, 9:39 AM EST
But a “50-50″ shot at qualifying for the Olympics this summer.
Mar 4, 2015, 8:56 AM EST
France may have to qualify for Rio with a team led by Tony Parker.
Mar 3, 2015, 10:20 PM EST
Previously, Phelps and USA Swimming agreed he would withdraw from the World Championships team due to his DUI arrest.
Mar 3, 2015, 4:30 PM EST
The Olympic champion competes next week for the first time since July.
Mar 3, 2015, 11:07 AM EST
How do the versions for Toronto 2015 compare to previous Pan Am Games medals?
Mar 3, 2015, 10:27 AM EST
Even if baseball is re-added to the Olympics, Fukushima might not be a logical choice to host games.
Mar 2, 2015, 4:59 PM EST
Team GB’s men and women were ousted in the 2012 Olympic quarterfinals.
Mar 2, 2015, 2:28 PM EST
The Olympic judo bronze medalist is compared to a former dominant heavyweight boxer.
Mar 2, 2015, 11:47 AM EST
Walsh Jennings also had breakfast with a beach legend in Rio de Janeiro.
Mar 2, 2015, 11:11 AM EST
IOC member and former South Africa Olympic Committee president previously said the nation was readying to bid.
Mar 2, 2015, 10:21 AM EST
Bowe skated with dominance not seen since 2003.
Mar 2, 2015, 5:47 AM EST
Vonn is three away from another World Cup mark.
Mar 1, 2015, 9:44 AM EST
Austrian rival puts on a dominating performance in Garmisch.
Mar 1, 2015, 8:31 AM EST
Vonn will get another chance on Monday.
Mar 1, 2015, 12:05 AM EST
Rousey is undefeated in 11 pro fights since winning Olympic judo bronze in 2008.
Feb 28, 2015, 10:03 AM EST
Meyers Taylor improved from silver medals at the 2013 Worlds and 2014 Olympics.
Feb 27, 2015, 3:55 PM EST
Rio government organization published two videos looking at the construction of Olympic Park.
Feb 27, 2015, 2:22 PM EST
Nibali might not be able to defend his Tour de France title as an Astana rider.
Feb 27, 2015, 12:52 PM EST
Ashton Eaton, Brianne Theisen-Eaton are taking different paths to potential gold in Rio.
Feb 27, 2015, 9:00 AM EST
“Athletes have wanted this changed for a very long time. It’s been a very long discussion.”
- Michael Phelps may be reinstated for World Championships, report says 0
- David Boudia scraps springboard plan; Nick McCrory retires 0
- Kerri Walsh Jennings, April Ross confident after defeat in Brazil showdown 1
- Lindsey Vonn loses super-G standings lead, closes in on another record (video) 0
- Marcel Hirscher’s historically dominant win just about ends Ted Ligety’s title hopes (video) 0
- Lindsey Vonn lost in the fog in Bansko super combined 0
- Elana Meyers Taylor wins historic bobsled World Championship (video) 1
- Emotional Bode Miller medals in race that mattered most (61)
- Russian women kissing after relay victory at World Championships causes stir (60)
- IOC drops wrestling from 2020 Olympics (47)
- South Korea filing official complaint over Yuna Kim’s Olympic silver (39)
- Zola Budd, 47, dominates college runners in 5K (33)