Feb 12, 2014, 7:36 AM EDT
Arielle Gold, who was slated to take part in today’s women’s snowboard halfpipe competition, was instead knocked out of the event after a training crash before this morning’s qualifying round.
Her older brother and fellow U.S. rider, Taylor Gold, said on Twitter that she suffered a dislocated shoulder in the incident.
Arielle, 17, is making her Olympic debut in Sochi as the youngest of the U.S. halfpipe snowboarders. She is the 2013 world champion and was considered a medal contender for the Americans alongside gold medal threat Kelly Clark.
- Katie Ledecky wins 2 Pan Pacs titles; Missy Franklin places 3rd 0
- Simone Biles a tall favorite at P&G Championships; women’s preview 0
- Jennie Finch, Lisa Fernandez weigh in on Mo’ne Davis 0
- Pan Pacific Championships men’s events preview 0
- Pan Pacific Championships women’s events preview 0
- Missy Franklin (back) in doubt for Pan Pacific Championships 0
- Golf debuts at Youth Olympics with hole-in-one (video) 0
- Emotional Bode Miller medals in race that mattered most (61)
- Russian women kissing after relay victory at World Championships causes stir (56)
- IOC drops wrestling from 2020 Olympics (47)
- South Korea filing official complaint over Yuna Kim’s Olympic silver (38)
- Zola Budd, 47, dominates college runners in 5K (33)