Feb 12, 2014, 7:36 AM EST
Arielle Gold, who was slated to take part in today’s women’s snowboard halfpipe competition, was instead knocked out of the event after a training crash before this morning’s qualifying round.
Her older brother and fellow U.S. rider, Taylor Gold, said on Twitter that she suffered a dislocated shoulder in the incident.
Arielle, 17, is making her Olympic debut in Sochi as the youngest of the U.S. halfpipe snowboarders. She is the 2013 world champion and was considered a medal contender for the Americans alongside gold medal threat Kelly Clark.
- Five Paralympic storylines to watch in Sochi 0
- Mikaela Shiffrin takes 15th in first post-Olympic race 0
- Oscar Pistorius tried to revive girlfriend after shooting, witness recounts (video) 1
- Shannon Szabados: Oilers welcomed me with open arms (video) 1
- Adelina Sotnikova listed as substitute for World Championships; entry list highlights 3
- Oscar Pistorius’ restaurant gun incident recounted at murder trial; Day 3 recap (video) 1
- Russia Olympic hockey coach done after poor Sochi showing 1