Feb 12, 2014, 7:36 AM EDT
Arielle Gold, who was slated to take part in today’s women’s snowboard halfpipe competition, was instead knocked out of the event after a training crash before this morning’s qualifying round.
Her older brother and fellow U.S. rider, Taylor Gold, said on Twitter that she suffered a dislocated shoulder in the incident.
Arielle, 17, is making her Olympic debut in Sochi as the youngest of the U.S. halfpipe snowboarders. She is the 2013 world champion and was considered a medal contender for the Americans alongside gold medal threat Kelly Clark.
- Mixed results for World champions in Zurich 0
- Los Angeles’ ties to the Olympics 1
- Five events to watch at Zurich Diamond League 0
- Los Angeles 2024 Olympic bid is official 1
- Top ten storylines from World Track and Field Championships 0
- USOC, Los Angeles agree to 2024 Olympic bid, reports say 1
- U.S. finishes World Championships with fewest medals since 2003 3
- Emotional Bode Miller medals in race that mattered most (63)
- Russian women kissing after relay victory at World Championships causes stir (62)
- IOC drops wrestling from 2020 Olympics (47)
- South Korea filing official complaint over Yuna Kim’s Olympic silver (39)
- Zola Budd, 47, dominates college runners in 5K (33)