Feb 12, 2014, 7:36 AM EDT
Arielle Gold, who was slated to take part in today’s women’s snowboard halfpipe competition, was instead knocked out of the event after a training crash before this morning’s qualifying round.
Her older brother and fellow U.S. rider, Taylor Gold, said on Twitter that she suffered a dislocated shoulder in the incident.
Arielle, 17, is making her Olympic debut in Sochi as the youngest of the U.S. halfpipe snowboarders. She is the 2013 world champion and was considered a medal contender for the Americans alongside gold medal threat Kelly Clark.
- Usain Bolt eases Jamaica to win in his first race of 2014 0
- Gabby Douglas out of P&G Championships, at new gym, report says 0
- Simone Biles returns to Secret Classic a different gymnast 0
- Meb Keflezighi, Caroline Wozniacki to run New York City Marathon 0
- U.S. swimming rankings going into National Championships 0
- German long jump champion, a Paralympian, left off European Championships roster 3
- Eddy Alvarez heats up in Arizona League 0
- Emotional Bode Miller medals in race that mattered most (61)
- Russian women kissing after relay victory at World Championships causes stir (56)
- IOC drops wrestling from 2020 Olympics (47)
- South Korea filing official complaint over Yuna Kim’s Olympic silver (38)
- Zola Budd, 47, dominates college runners in 5K (33)