Feb 12, 2014, 7:36 AM EST
Arielle Gold, who was slated to take part in today’s women’s snowboard halfpipe competition, was instead knocked out of the event after a training crash before this morning’s qualifying round.
Her older brother and fellow U.S. rider, Taylor Gold, said on Twitter that she suffered a dislocated shoulder in the incident.
Arielle, 17, is making her Olympic debut in Sochi as the youngest of the U.S. halfpipe snowboarders. She is the 2013 world champion and was considered a medal contender for the Americans alongside gold medal threat Kelly Clark.
- Tara Lipinski, Johnny Weir at Super Bowl Media Day (video) 0
- Galen Rupp talks training with Mo Farah, marathons, weird drug test story 0
- Russian Olympic, World champions get doping bans 0
- Lindsey Vonn, Mikaela Shiffrin lead World Alpine Skiing Championships women’s preview 1
- Rio 2016 Olympic torch relay details announced 0
- K.C. Boutiette returns to World Cup speed skating for first time since 2006 0
- Tori Bowie ‘going after medals’ after breakthrough season 0
- Emotional Bode Miller medals in race that mattered most (61)
- Russian women kissing after relay victory at World Championships causes stir (60)
- IOC drops wrestling from 2020 Olympics (47)
- South Korea filing official complaint over Yuna Kim’s Olympic silver (39)
- Zola Budd, 47, dominates college runners in 5K (33)