Feb 12, 2014, 8:30 AM EDT
All three former gold medalists made it straight to the halfpipe final round thanks to strong qualifying performances on Wednesday. U.S. snowboarders Kelly Clark and Hannah Teter made it straight through along with Australia’s Torah Bright.
Bright won gold in 2010, Teter nabbed it in 2006 and Clark won it in 2002.
Clark had the best score (95.00) from one heat while Bright (93.00) narrowly edged Teter (92.00). Other snowboarders who advanced straight to the finals were Spain’s Queralt Castellet (93.25), France’s Sophie Rodriguez (78.50) ad China’s Quetong Cai (88.00).
U.S. snowboarder Kaitlyn Farrington must pass through the semifinals to get to the final round after barely following behind Cai with an 87.00 score.
Also in the semifinals: Switzerland’s Ursina Haller, China’s Zhifeng Sun, Canada’s Alexandra Duckworth, Czech boarder Sarka Pancochova, Australia’s Stephanie Magiros, China’s Jiavu Liu, France’s Mirabelle Thovex, Japan’s Rana Okada, France’s Clemence Grimal and Canada’s Katie Tsuyuki.
Pancochova drew a lot of attention by cracking her helmet competing in snowboard slopestyle, but her continued work indicates that she’s indeed OK.
- Usain Bolt anchors Jamaica to 4x100m relay gold after U.S. mishap 0
- Ashton Eaton breaks decathlon world record, wins World Championship 0
- Aries Merritt wins bronze before kidney transplant; incredible Worlds performances 0
- Usain Bolt may retire after Rio Olympics 0
- Usain Bolt crushes Justin Gatlin in World Championships 200m 3
- Allyson Felix wins 400m, breaks U.S. record for Worlds medals; Rio preview? 1
- Usain Bolt and Justin Gatlin’s first race together from 2005 (video) 0
- Emotional Bode Miller medals in race that mattered most (63)
- Russian women kissing after relay victory at World Championships causes stir (60)
- IOC drops wrestling from 2020 Olympics (47)
- South Korea filing official complaint over Yuna Kim’s Olympic silver (39)
- Zola Budd, 47, dominates college runners in 5K (33)