Feb 12, 2014, 8:30 AM EDT
All three former gold medalists made it straight to the halfpipe final round thanks to strong qualifying performances on Wednesday. U.S. snowboarders Kelly Clark and Hannah Teter made it straight through along with Australia’s Torah Bright.
Bright won gold in 2010, Teter nabbed it in 2006 and Clark won it in 2002.
Clark had the best score (95.00) from one heat while Bright (93.00) narrowly edged Teter (92.00). Other snowboarders who advanced straight to the finals were Spain’s Queralt Castellet (93.25), France’s Sophie Rodriguez (78.50) ad China’s Quetong Cai (88.00).
U.S. snowboarder Kaitlyn Farrington must pass through the semifinals to get to the final round after barely following behind Cai with an 87.00 score.
Also in the semifinals: Switzerland’s Ursina Haller, China’s Zhifeng Sun, Canada’s Alexandra Duckworth, Czech boarder Sarka Pancochova, Australia’s Stephanie Magiros, China’s Jiavu Liu, France’s Mirabelle Thovex, Japan’s Rana Okada, France’s Clemence Grimal and Canada’s Katie Tsuyuki.
Pancochova drew a lot of attention by cracking her helmet competing in snowboard slopestyle, but her continued work indicates that she’s indeed OK.
- Haley Anderson wins Pan Pacs open-water 10K by .01 after jellyfish sting, move to Maui 0
- Gwen Jorgensen wins World Championship in triathlon 0
- How the FIBA World Cup impacts the Olympics 0
- Gwen Jorgensen’s glory awaits in Edmonton 0
- Tyson Gay last place in Zurich; Jenny Simpson leads U.S. winners (video) 0
- Youth Olympics wrap with Closing Ceremony, Lionel Messi cameo (photos) 0
- U.S. finishes Youth Olympics with 22 medals, 10 golds 1
- Emotional Bode Miller medals in race that mattered most (61)
- Russian women kissing after relay victory at World Championships causes stir (57)
- IOC drops wrestling from 2020 Olympics (47)
- South Korea filing official complaint over Yuna Kim’s Olympic silver (38)
- Zola Budd, 47, dominates college runners in 5K (33)