Feb 11, 2014, 9:59 AM EST
Russia hopes to continue to build momentum toward a hopeful medal run as they face Japan in women’s ice hockey, beginning at 10 a.m. ET.
Russia started slowly in its first women’s Olympic game before ramping things up by scoring all four of their goals in the third period, beating Germany 4-1. In a way, a loss was almost a win for Japan, which only lost to Sweden 1-0 in its opener.
These two programs are in very different phases of their development, so this could be a decent “measuring stick” game for both teams, even if Russia wins as expected.
- Viktor Tikhonov, Soviet Union Olympic hockey coach, dies at 84 1
- Sun Yang failed drug test, served three-month ban 0
- Rio 2016 Olympic, Paralympic mascots unveiled (video) 0
- Maksim Kovtun rallies to win Trophee Bompard; Grand Prix Final picture 0
- Ashley Wagner in Grand Prix Final fight after finishing behind Russians at Trophee Bompard 0
- Angelina Jolie showed Louis Zamperini scenes of ‘Unbroken’ on hospital bed 1
- Joss Christensen becomes ‘mountain man’ since Sochi Olympics 0
- Emotional Bode Miller medals in race that mattered most (61)
- Russian women kissing after relay victory at World Championships causes stir (60)
- IOC drops wrestling from 2020 Olympics (47)
- South Korea filing official complaint over Yuna Kim’s Olympic silver (39)
- Zola Budd, 47, dominates college runners in 5K (33)