Sarah Hendrickson excited to be first female ski jumper in Olympic history

Feb 11, 2014, 7:59 AM EDT

For the first time ever, women are competing in ski jumping as an Olympic event. To her delight, U.S. ski jumper Sarah Hendrickson will be the first woman to ever do so:

Hendrickson, 19, is far from 100 percent heading into today’s event, but she gains extra incentive in gritting her teeth through knee pain to make that bit of history.

She might want to nod to fellow U.S. ski jumpers Lindsey Van and Jessica Jerome, as those two fought hard to add ski jumping to the Olympic slate, even going to court in an attempt to push it into the Vancouver games.

That didn’t work out then, but all that hard work will come to fruition when Hendrickson makes that jump into history.

Follow these feeds to witness the action live:

Women’s individual 95m hill trial jump: 12:30 p.m. ET – CLICK HERE TO WATCH LIVE

Women’s individual 95m hill final: 12:30 p.m. ET – CLICK HERE TO WATCH LIVE

1. scooby24210 - Feb 11, 2014 at 1:19 PM

I’ll be COMPLETELY shocked if NBC, or ANY network for that matter, EVER does a great job broadcasting the Olympics. The coverage for as far back as I can remember has been marginal at BEST.

Yesterday they showed about an hour of women’s ski jumping PRACTICE instead of some other sport that was actually live at the same time. Don’t take this as me saying the women’s ski jumping isn’t worth covering. I’m not saying that at all & I’ll address that more in a minute.

They finally left the practice runs to air a U.S. curling match. The match was NOT live or if it was it didn’t say live on screen. It likely was taped since it went from the 1st to the 3rd end. What happened to the 2nd end? So what if there was no score in the period. That is NOT the point. Olympians put in long hours & sacrifice a lot AND many of us want to see ALL the coverage possible. The athletes deserve to have their sport covered.

Today is the women’s ski jumping competition. During a break in the pairs skating, Al Michaels cut to a commentator at the ski jumping venue. The first round of jumps was in progress. So where was the coverage of THAT? You’ll show an hour of PRACTICE but the first time women’s ski jumping is an Olympic event you don’t even show it LIVE? Who was the bonehead behind that decision?

I know there is prime time coverage & thats fine, especially for those who can’t watch during the day. However, many DO watch during the day & want to see ALL the U.S. athletes events LIVE. Show all the replays you want later but have the pride, courtesy & decency to air FULL coverage of ALL the events (without regard to the financial bottom line & sponsors). Until you do you will never TRULY have full coverage of the Olympics no matter how much you claim it’s full coverage.

C’MON get it right for once!

• nothanksimdriving123 - Feb 11, 2014 at 2:03 PM

Not to defend all NBC’s choices, but… since you would seem to have Internet access, your safer bet is catching the live events you want streaming online. Live coverage of some events is also on sister channels, such as MSNBC, NBCSN, USA and others. Good luck.

• ggunnyjim - Feb 13, 2014 at 9:43 AM

It was advertised to be on prime time. Yes, I could have live streamed but I knew it was to be on and wanted to share this with family and friends. When I went to try to review the event, NBC made it unavailable?!?

2. maryhwag - Feb 12, 2014 at 7:23 AM

No prime time coverage at all. NBC really messed up this one. Not even a mention, nothing, of a moment in Olympic history. Lame, NBC. Not impressed.

3. ggunnyjim - Feb 13, 2014 at 9:39 AM

I’m a female who was a ski jumper in the sixties. My dad’s dream was for me to compete in the Olympics but it was so unacceptable for a female to be involved in this sport.I’ve been waiting for decades for women’s ski jumping to become an Olympic event. I excitedly awaited the advertised prime time showing of this event on Tuesday on NBC. Nothing! Not even a mention. It seems like a conspiracy to keep this event in the closet forever. Yet each night, ad nauseum , we see same skaters doing the same thing in different variations. Sure, I could have live streamed but it was to be on prime time and I really wanted to share this with my family and friends. NBC owes these women a special spot to highlight this sport that they have fought to bring into acceptance.

Inside Michael Phelps' comeback