Feb 10, 2014, 9:15 AM EDT
Emily Scott, making her Olympic debut in Sochi, is the lone American to advance into Thursday’s quarterfinals in the women’s short track 500m.
Today, Scott finished second in her preliminary heat race to Korea’s Seung-Hi Park, earning a berth to the next round.
As for the other two Americans, Alyson Dudek – a bronze medalist in the relay at Vancouver in 2010 – drew a penalty in her heat, while Jessica Smith failed to advance after falling.
The aforementioned quarterfinals will begin Thursday at 5 a.m. ET, followed by the semifinals at 6:10 a.m. ET and then, the final at 7:05 a.m. ET.
- Oscar Pistorius sentenced to maximum 5 years in prison 0
- The jump for the ages: Mike Powell, Bob Beamon and a revered world record 0
- Apolo Ohno on Ironman: A milestone among my 8 Olympic medals 1
- Beijing Marathon run through smog (video, photos) 0
- Aksel Lund Svindal injured playing soccer, likely out most of season 0
- Justin Gatlin not among IAAF Athlete of the Year award finalists 0
- Noelle Pikus-Pace: I already miss skeleton, but happily retired 0
- Emotional Bode Miller medals in race that mattered most (61)
- Russian women kissing after relay victory at World Championships causes stir (60)
- IOC drops wrestling from 2020 Olympics (47)
- South Korea filing official complaint over Yuna Kim’s Olympic silver (39)
- Zola Budd, 47, dominates college runners in 5K (33)