Feb 10, 2014, 2:45 PM EDT
Alex Bilodeau will go into the record books as the first Olympic freestyle skier to win multiple gold medals.
The fourth of six competitors to go in today’s men’s moguls “super final,” Bilodeau cranked out a 26.31 on his last run that proved enough to hold off fellow Canadian Mikael Kingsbury and Russia’s Alexandr Smyshlaev for a second moguls gold.
It’s another bit of history made by the Quebec native, who became the first Canadian Olympian to win a gold medal on home ground four years ago in Vancouver. That triggered a run of 14 golds in total for Canada, the most ever for a host nation in a Winter Olympics.
After the flower ceremony, Bilodeau rushed toward the crowd where he celebrated with his family and happily embraced his older brother, Frederic, who suffers from cerebral palsy but serves as one of Alex’s greatest sources of inspiration.
Kingsbury, the 2013 world champion, and Smyshlyaev claimed their first career Olympic medals behind Bilodeau. Patrick Deneen of the U.S. was able to make the “super final,” but he wound up last in the six-person field.
MEN’S MOGULS – SUPER FINAL (FINAL 3)
1. Alex Bilodeau (CAN), 26.31
2. Mikael Kingsbury (CAN), 24.71
3. Alexandr Smyshlyaev (RUS), 24.34
4. Marc-Antoine Gagnon (CAN), 23.35
5. Dmitriy Reihard (KAZ), 22.80
6. Patrick Deneen (USA), 22.16
20. Bradley Wilson (USA), eliminated in Final 1
Apr 19, 2014, 12:10 PM EDT
Watch every runner cross the finish line on Monday.
Apr 19, 2014, 11:41 AM EDT
Two-time Olympian hasn’t run a marathon since the London Games.
Apr 18, 2014, 9:41 PM EDT
All eyes will be on a changed Boylston Street on Monday.
Apr 18, 2014, 9:00 AM EDT
Universal Sports will have live coverage and is on a free preview nationwide.
Apr 18, 2014, 8:30 AM EDT
Monday’s race figures to come down to two men.
Apr 18, 2014, 8:00 AM EDT
An American with Massachusetts ties wants to win.
Apr 17, 2014, 1:59 PM EDT
Mark Wells previously sold his gold medal, too.
Apr 17, 2014, 12:21 PM EDT
Sochi club team is being reformed.
Apr 17, 2014, 9:56 AM EDT
Furtsch Ojeda talks about winning 4x100m relay gold at 1932 Olympics.
Apr 17, 2014, 9:10 AM EDT
Trial goes on break until May 5.
Apr 16, 2014, 6:54 PM EDT
Olympic swimming champion finished 2013 race before explosions.
Apr 16, 2014, 4:43 PM EDT
Deal takes Nike, USATF through next seven Olympics.
Apr 16, 2014, 2:57 PM EDT
Decathlon champion talks Montreal 1976, Steve Prefontaine and the greatest athlete of all time.
Apr 16, 2014, 11:31 AM EDT
Police commissioner asks spectators not to flock to Boylston Street on Monday.
Apr 16, 2014, 8:56 AM EDT
Judge will spend break reading 2,000-page court record.
Apr 16, 2014, 4:17 AM EDT
Korea Skating Union is protesting the makeup of judges, not the results.
Apr 15, 2014, 3:59 PM EDT
Survivors, first responders, those affected by attack take part in tribute.
Apr 15, 2014, 12:16 PM EDT
Teams’ tweets sent at same time Tuesday morning.
Apr 15, 2014, 11:55 AM EDT
World’s fastest man might not race again until June.
Apr 15, 2014, 11:28 AM EDT
What is the competition like in Phelps’ potential events?
- Boston Marathon to move forward with traditional spectacle of a finish 1
- Boston Marathon men’s preview 1
- Boston Marathon women’s preview 1
- Miracle on Ice hockey player selling his Olympic gold medal 1
- Evelyn Furtsch Ojeda is first female U.S. Olympic champion to reach 100 years old 0
- Oscar Pistorius’ prosthetic leg used in testimony 0
- Summer Sanders returns to run Boston Marathon again 0
- Emotional Bode Miller medals in race that mattered most (61)
- Russian women kissing after relay victory at World Championships causes stir (55)
- IOC drops wrestling from 2020 Olympics (46)
- South Korea filing official complaint over Yuna Kim’s Olympic silver (37)
- Zola Budd, 47, dominates college runners in 5K (33)