Feb 10, 2014, 2:45 PM EDT
Alex Bilodeau will go into the record books as the first Olympic freestyle skier to win multiple gold medals.
The fourth of six competitors to go in today’s men’s moguls “super final,” Bilodeau cranked out a 26.31 on his last run that proved enough to hold off fellow Canadian Mikael Kingsbury and Russia’s Alexandr Smyshlaev for a second moguls gold.
It’s another bit of history made by the Quebec native, who became the first Canadian Olympian to win a gold medal on home ground four years ago in Vancouver. That triggered a run of 14 golds in total for Canada, the most ever for a host nation in a Winter Olympics.
After the flower ceremony, Bilodeau rushed toward the crowd where he celebrated with his family and happily embraced his older brother, Frederic, who suffers from cerebral palsy but serves as one of Alex’s greatest sources of inspiration.
Kingsbury, the 2013 world champion, and Smyshlyaev claimed their first career Olympic medals behind Bilodeau. Patrick Deneen of the U.S. was able to make the “super final,” but he wound up last in the six-person field.
MEN’S MOGULS – SUPER FINAL (FINAL 3)
1. Alex Bilodeau (CAN), 26.31
2. Mikael Kingsbury (CAN), 24.71
3. Alexandr Smyshlyaev (RUS), 24.34
4. Marc-Antoine Gagnon (CAN), 23.35
5. Dmitriy Reihard (KAZ), 22.80
6. Patrick Deneen (USA), 22.16
20. Bradley Wilson (USA), eliminated in Final 1
Sep 19, 2014, 2:31 PM EDT
Spearmon lost a 2008 Olympic medal due to disqualification and finished fourth in the 2012 Olympic 200m.
Sep 19, 2014, 10:21 AM EDT
Komova won Olympic all-around silver behind Gabby Douglas.
Sep 19, 2014, 8:49 AM EDT
There was concern Olympic host nation wouldn’t be able to qualify in hockey.
Sep 19, 2014, 8:02 AM EDT
Olympic medalist skater could be called in for later hearing.
Sep 18, 2014, 4:50 PM EDT
Three-time Olympian rides into retirement by entering history books.
Sep 18, 2014, 3:06 PM EDT
Work expected to finish in the first half of 2016.
Sep 18, 2014, 1:39 PM EDT
NBC Olympics analyst hands out athlete of the year honors and more.
Sep 18, 2014, 9:30 AM EDT
Russian Olympic champion gave birth to daughter in June.
Sep 18, 2014, 9:00 AM EDT
Can U.S. win second straight team title despite injuries, absences?
Sep 17, 2014, 3:38 PM EDT
Canadian from memorable 2002 Olympic pairs competition to coach NHL players.
Sep 17, 2014, 2:13 PM EDT
Olympic halfpipe champion is focused on two competitions this season.
Sep 17, 2014, 10:54 AM EDT
Curling is the first Winter Olympic sport to have a sculpture in the Olympic Museum park.
Sep 17, 2014, 10:38 AM EDT
World record holder, now 40, could enter two more major marathons.
Sep 17, 2014, 10:04 AM EDT
Two-time Olympic champion runs five or six times per week.
Sep 17, 2014, 9:30 AM EDT
Two-time Olympic halfpipe champion “more poised” for slopestyle success in 2018.
Sep 17, 2014, 8:41 AM EDT
Jones posted she had “flashbacks of the three Olympics and that people constantly tease me about.”
Sep 16, 2014, 4:10 PM EDT
More than 7.5 million tickets will be available for the Games.
Sep 16, 2014, 11:57 AM EDT
German star suffered torn ACL.
Sep 16, 2014, 11:35 AM EDT
Shuko Uchimura hadn’t competed in some 30 years, according to Japanese report.
Sep 16, 2014, 9:39 AM EDT
Olympic 200m free champion going back to France.
- Wallace Spearmon fails drug test, banned 3 months 0
- Ato Boldon’s track and field season awards 1
- Analyzing the U.S. gymnastics women’s World Championships team 0
- Shaun White ‘more motivated’ to compete than before Sochi 0
- Lolo Jones eliminated from ‘Dancing with the Stars’ 6
- Usain Bolt, Michael Phelps hope to meet for first time before Olympic farewell 0
- What U.S.’ FIBA World Cup title means for Olympics 0
- Emotional Bode Miller medals in race that mattered most (61)
- Russian women kissing after relay victory at World Championships causes stir (57)
- IOC drops wrestling from 2020 Olympics (47)
- South Korea filing official complaint over Yuna Kim’s Olympic silver (39)
- Zola Budd, 47, dominates college runners in 5K (33)