Feb 10, 2014, 2:45 PM EST
Alex Bilodeau will go into the record books as the first Olympic freestyle skier to win multiple gold medals.
The fourth of six competitors to go in today’s men’s moguls “super final,” Bilodeau cranked out a 26.31 on his last run that proved enough to hold off fellow Canadian Mikael Kingsbury and Russia’s Alexandr Smyshlaev for a second moguls gold.
It’s another bit of history made by the Quebec native, who became the first Canadian Olympian to win a gold medal on home ground four years ago in Vancouver. That triggered a run of 14 golds in total for Canada, the most ever for a host nation in a Winter Olympics.
After the flower ceremony, Bilodeau rushed toward the crowd where he celebrated with his family and happily embraced his older brother, Frederic, who suffers from cerebral palsy but serves as one of Alex’s greatest sources of inspiration.
Kingsbury, the 2013 world champion, and Smyshlyaev claimed their first career Olympic medals behind Bilodeau. Patrick Deneen of the U.S. was able to make the “super final,” but he wound up last in the six-person field.
MEN’S MOGULS – SUPER FINAL (FINAL 3)
1. Alex Bilodeau (CAN), 26.31
2. Mikael Kingsbury (CAN), 24.71
3. Alexandr Smyshlyaev (RUS), 24.34
4. Marc-Antoine Gagnon (CAN), 23.35
5. Dmitriy Reihard (KAZ), 22.80
6. Patrick Deneen (USA), 22.16
20. Bradley Wilson (USA), eliminated in Final 1
Nov 23, 2014, 9:27 PM EST
Public vote to name the mascots.
Nov 23, 2014, 8:38 PM EST
Video of how he suffered the injury was posted on Ligety’s social media.
Nov 22, 2014, 4:24 PM EST
It’s unlikely a U.S. man will qualify for the Grand Prix Final.
Nov 22, 2014, 9:05 AM EST
“i just don’t want to puke,” Wagner said.
Nov 21, 2014, 3:10 PM EST
This year’s winners came from unprecedented nations and events.
Nov 21, 2014, 2:24 PM EST
Wagner could match a Michelle Kwan feat at the French event.
Nov 21, 2014, 8:59 AM EST
“Unbroken” film about Olympian and World War II hero comes out on Christmas.
Nov 20, 2014, 5:34 PM EST
Young Dmitry Melnichenko lost the match, then lost his cool.
Nov 20, 2014, 4:57 PM EST
Olympic ski slopestyle champion uses a chainsaw every day.
Nov 20, 2014, 3:03 PM EST
Vito thought he had what it took to make the Olympic team, but judges didn’t see it the same way.
Nov 19, 2014, 11:30 PM EST
Olympic champion could face the only woman who beat her in the quarterfinals.
Nov 19, 2014, 8:25 PM EST
“I don’t really want to race unless I have a shot at winning.”
Nov 19, 2014, 1:40 PM EST
Her name could be “erased from the list of participants,” IOC president said.
Nov 19, 2014, 11:29 AM EST
Eight stadium events will have morning finals, a first for Olympic track and field since 1988.
Nov 18, 2014, 4:11 PM EST
The IOC will vote on 40 proposed changes to the Olympics in December.
Nov 18, 2014, 4:01 PM EST
Also, Natalie Coughlin said she reached out to Phelps.
Nov 18, 2014, 3:52 PM EST
Four years ago, Michael Phelps’ coach said Lochte was the world’s best swimmer.
Nov 18, 2014, 9:23 AM EST
U.S. has never hosted the World Outdoor Track and Field Championships.
Nov 17, 2014, 4:35 PM EST
Olympic silver medalist’s partner in London was April Ross, who is now with Kerri Walsh Jennings.
Nov 17, 2014, 4:18 PM EST
Both could make history at Rio Olympics.
- Rio 2016 Olympic, Paralympic mascots unveiled (video) 0
- Maksim Kovtun rallies to win Trophee Bompard; Grand Prix Final picture 0
- Ashley Wagner in Grand Prix Final fight after finishing behind Russians at Trophee Bompard 0
- Angelina Jolie showed Louis Zamperini scenes of ‘Unbroken’ on hospital bed 1
- Joss Christensen becomes ‘mountain man’ since Sochi Olympics 0
- IOC proposes adding Olympic events, bid reforms 0
- Ryan Lochte: I have no doubt Michael Phelps will come back 1
- Emotional Bode Miller medals in race that mattered most (61)
- Russian women kissing after relay victory at World Championships causes stir (60)
- IOC drops wrestling from 2020 Olympics (47)
- South Korea filing official complaint over Yuna Kim’s Olympic silver (39)
- Zola Budd, 47, dominates college runners in 5K (33)