Feb 10, 2014, 2:45 PM EDT
Alex Bilodeau will go into the record books as the first Olympic freestyle skier to win multiple gold medals.
The fourth of six competitors to go in today’s men’s moguls “super final,” Bilodeau cranked out a 26.31 on his last run that proved enough to hold off fellow Canadian Mikael Kingsbury and Russia’s Alexandr Smyshlaev for a second moguls gold.
It’s another bit of history made by the Quebec native, who became the first Canadian Olympian to win a gold medal on home ground four years ago in Vancouver. That triggered a run of 14 golds in total for Canada, the most ever for a host nation in a Winter Olympics.
After the flower ceremony, Bilodeau rushed toward the crowd where he celebrated with his family and happily embraced his older brother, Frederic, who suffers from cerebral palsy but serves as one of Alex’s greatest sources of inspiration.
Kingsbury, the 2013 world champion, and Smyshlyaev claimed their first career Olympic medals behind Bilodeau. Patrick Deneen of the U.S. was able to make the “super final,” but he wound up last in the six-person field.
MEN’S MOGULS – SUPER FINAL (FINAL 3)
1. Alex Bilodeau (CAN), 26.31
2. Mikael Kingsbury (CAN), 24.71
3. Alexandr Smyshlyaev (RUS), 24.34
4. Marc-Antoine Gagnon (CAN), 23.35
5. Dmitriy Reihard (KAZ), 22.80
6. Patrick Deneen (USA), 22.16
20. Bradley Wilson (USA), eliminated in Final 1
Apr 23, 2014, 8:34 PM EDT
Lochte said he almost didn’t come back to swimming after knee injury.
Apr 23, 2014, 6:33 PM EDT
Phelps says he gained 30 pounds in retirement but has shed most of it in training.
Apr 23, 2014, 5:42 PM EDT
Phelps’ contract with Speedo ran out at the end of 2013 after a 12-year run.
Apr 23, 2014, 2:18 PM EDT
Michael Andrew, 15, turned pro last year and has been drawing comparisons to Michael Phelps.
Apr 23, 2014, 11:10 AM EDT
When to watch Michael Phelps’ return to competition.
Apr 22, 2014, 2:44 PM EDT
How Keflezighi spent the morning after his upset victory.
Apr 22, 2014, 1:57 PM EDT
Americans’ tactic played small role in Keflezighi’s victory.
Apr 22, 2014, 10:39 AM EDT
Sochi figure skating analysts will be fashion experts at Churchill Downs.
Apr 22, 2014, 10:11 AM EDT
Ohno follows NFL wide receiver, celebrity chef in ambitious attempt.
Apr 22, 2014, 8:21 AM EDT
Johan Bruyneel guided Lance Armstrong’s teams for all seven stripped Tour de France wins.
Apr 21, 2014, 8:42 PM EDT
“I needed it for healing,” one survivor said.
Apr 21, 2014, 3:15 PM EDT
First U.S. man to win Boston Marathon since 1983.
Apr 21, 2014, 1:21 PM EDT
Meb Keflezighi made history on an emotional day at the 2014 Boston Marathon by becoming the first American man to win the race since 1983. Watch highlights of the 38-year-old Keflezighi’s victory here, courtesy of Universal Sports: Keflezighi reacts to his historic win and the emotion of winning one year after the Boston Marathon bombing,…
Apr 21, 2014, 11:54 AM EDT
Shalane Flanagan led early but was dropped around 21 miles.
Apr 21, 2014, 10:53 AM EDT
Paralympic champion prevails one month after winning silver in Sochi.
Apr 21, 2014, 9:58 AM EDT
Double the police presence from last year.
Apr 21, 2014, 9:38 AM EDT
Former linebacker ran in 2012 and saw the first bomb from a hotel last year.
Apr 21, 2014, 9:07 AM EDT
Race starts by honoring those lost and those who saved at last year’s race.
Apr 19, 2014, 12:10 PM EDT
Watch every runner cross the finish line on Monday.
Apr 19, 2014, 11:41 AM EDT
Two-time Olympian hasn’t run a marathon since the London Games.
- Michael Phelps ready to start ‘journey’ in comeback meet 0
- Another Michael set to make splash at Mesa Grand Prix 0
- Michael Phelps’ comeback at Mesa Grand Prix competition, broadcast schedules 0
- Ryan Hall, other U.S. runners wouldn’t help East Africans catch Meb Keflezighi 0
- Emotions flow for runners, spectators at Boston Marathon 0
- Meb Keflezighi stuns to win Boston Marathon (video) 4
- Rita Jeptoo repeats as Boston Marathon winner in course record 0
- Emotional Bode Miller medals in race that mattered most (61)
- Russian women kissing after relay victory at World Championships causes stir (55)
- IOC drops wrestling from 2020 Olympics (46)
- South Korea filing official complaint over Yuna Kim’s Olympic silver (38)
- Zola Budd, 47, dominates college runners in 5K (33)