Feb 10, 2014, 2:45 PM EDT
Alex Bilodeau will go into the record books as the first Olympic freestyle skier to win multiple gold medals.
The fourth of six competitors to go in today’s men’s moguls “super final,” Bilodeau cranked out a 26.31 on his last run that proved enough to hold off fellow Canadian Mikael Kingsbury and Russia’s Alexandr Smyshlaev for a second moguls gold.
It’s another bit of history made by the Quebec native, who became the first Canadian Olympian to win a gold medal on home ground four years ago in Vancouver. That triggered a run of 14 golds in total for Canada, the most ever for a host nation in a Winter Olympics.
After the flower ceremony, Bilodeau rushed toward the crowd where he celebrated with his family and happily embraced his older brother, Frederic, who suffers from cerebral palsy but serves as one of Alex’s greatest sources of inspiration.
Kingsbury, the 2013 world champion, and Smyshlyaev claimed their first career Olympic medals behind Bilodeau. Patrick Deneen of the U.S. was able to make the “super final,” but he wound up last in the six-person field.
MEN’S MOGULS – SUPER FINAL (FINAL 3)
1. Alex Bilodeau (CAN), 26.31
2. Mikael Kingsbury (CAN), 24.71
3. Alexandr Smyshlyaev (RUS), 24.34
4. Marc-Antoine Gagnon (CAN), 23.35
5. Dmitriy Reihard (KAZ), 22.80
6. Patrick Deneen (USA), 22.16
20. Bradley Wilson (USA), eliminated in Final 1
Oct 19, 2014, 10:30 AM EDT
How top Americans, Austrian going for history will be affected this World Cup season.
Oct 17, 2014, 2:50 PM EDT
Two-time Olympic halfpipe champion won’t be competing, though.
Oct 17, 2014, 10:54 AM EDT
Top U.S. skaters are incorporating new rule into their programs this season.
Oct 17, 2014, 9:41 AM EDT
Runner faces up to 15 years in prison.
Oct 17, 2014, 6:48 AM EDT
Gatlin’s inclusion on previous 10-man nomination list drew criticism.
Oct 16, 2014, 4:34 PM EDT
Olympic silver medalist has an interesting post-skeleton bucket list.
Oct 16, 2014, 11:24 AM EDT
Biles recalls bee tale, talks of specific vault upgrade, uneven bars hatred.
Oct 16, 2014, 7:45 AM EDT
Three-time Olympic medalist previously said he was taking a break.
Oct 15, 2014, 2:44 PM EDT
Biles talks about the bee and what’s next.
Oct 15, 2014, 12:10 PM EDT
Erik Nieman, 15, flew from Arkansas to Charlotte for a special training session.
Oct 15, 2014, 10:12 AM EDT
U.S. champion makes her Grand Prix season debut at Skate America next week.
Oct 14, 2014, 1:06 PM EDT
Zoeggeler made history with his sixth medal in Sochi.
Oct 14, 2014, 12:56 PM EDT
Olympic champions won’t consider competitive future until the spring.
Oct 14, 2014, 10:56 AM EDT
Canadian Olympic goalie returns to Columbus Cottonmouths. Season starts Oct. 24.
Oct 14, 2014, 10:26 AM EDT
Lightning coach: “If [my daughters] look at this and are like, ‘You know what, I’d love to play hockey,’ then it’s paying off.”
Oct 14, 2014, 9:46 AM EDT
Three-time Olympian needed ankle surgery, according to the AP.
Oct 14, 2014, 9:24 AM EDT
Gebrselassie continues to become more confident that barrier will be broken.
Oct 14, 2014, 8:59 AM EDT
A fourth Olympics is a possibility for the eight-time Winter X Games champion.
Oct 14, 2014, 8:31 AM EDT
First Japanese man to win Olympic medal, World Championship.
Oct 13, 2014, 4:59 PM EDT
Four-time U.S. champion went back on retirement plans with specific goal in mind.
- Aksel Lund Svindal injured playing soccer, likely out most of season 0
- Justin Gatlin not among IAAF Athlete of the Year award finalists 0
- Noelle Pikus-Pace: I already miss skeleton, but happily retired 0
- Simone Biles still buzzing after World Championships whirlwind 0
- Gracie Gold calls audible, adds lyrics for post-Olympic season 0
- Meryl Davis, Charlie White look to uncertain future in ice dancing 0
- U.S. women’s volleyball wins breakthrough World Championship (video) 0
- Emotional Bode Miller medals in race that mattered most (61)
- Russian women kissing after relay victory at World Championships causes stir (60)
- IOC drops wrestling from 2020 Olympics (47)
- South Korea filing official complaint over Yuna Kim’s Olympic silver (39)
- Zola Budd, 47, dominates college runners in 5K (33)