Feb 9, 2014, 11:14 AM EDT
U.S. luger Tucker West has his father Brett to thank for the backyard luge that helped him become the country’s youngest-ever Olympic competitor in the event at 18. He also has his dad to scold for making #TeamTucker into something of an Internet phenomenon.
As you can see from this clip, Brett West said that Tucker is “very single, and he’s a little shy, so you’ll have to reach out to him” on TODAY.
Well … they did.
Brett West knows that he’s going to hear it from his son, as he admitted on Facebook.
Then again, Brett West can reply with more than the usual “I took you into this world,” retort. After all, this NBCOlympics.com profile reveals why Tucker West is known as “The Backyard Luger.”
While watching the luge competition during the Salt Lake Olympics, Tucker’s father, Brett West, said to his seven-year-old son, “That looks like a lot of fun. Is that something you’d like to do?”
The two were so enamored with the sport that they decided to build a luge track in the backyard of their home in the quaint New England town of Ridgefield.
It started with a snow track that they iced down, but it would always melt away. Eventually it evolved into a wooden monstrosity.
Nah. Brett West might still be in trouble.
- Lindsey Vonn talks ‘first-world problems’ on ‘Late Night with Seth Meyers’ 0
- Vitaly Scherbo weighs in on Kohei Uchimura 0
- Meb Keflezighi eighth after stopping, throwing up, crying at Boston Marathon 1
- Usain Bolt runs his slowest 100m final ever; Brazil TV simulates Bolt’s dream 100m race 2
- Katie Ledecky eyes daunting double at World Championships 0
- Michael Phelps, Ryan Lochte split duels in Mesa 0
- Boston Marathon preview: Can Meb Keflezighi repeat? 0
- Emotional Bode Miller medals in race that mattered most (61)
- Russian women kissing after relay victory at World Championships causes stir (60)
- IOC drops wrestling from 2020 Olympics (47)
- South Korea filing official complaint over Yuna Kim’s Olympic silver (39)
- Zola Budd, 47, dominates college runners in 5K (33)