Feb 9, 2014, 8:37 AM EST
The orange crush continues in the early speed skating events of the Sochi Olympics.
One day after the Netherlands’ Sven Kramer led a Dutch sweep of the medals in the men’s 5000m, Ireen Wust has given her country another gold with a victory in the women’s 3000m. It’s her third Olympic title, and her second in that specific event.
She dethroned the 2010 Olympic champ in the 3000m, Martina Sablikova of the Czech Republic, with a time of 4:00.34 – 1.6 seconds ahead of Sablikova, who settled for the silver after her run of 4:01.95.
The home crowd in Sochi also saw Olga Graf deliver Russia its first medal of these Games, as she scored the bronze with a run of 4:03.47 that triggered plenty of cheers inside the Adler Arena.
Germany’s Claudia Pechstein narrowly missed in her first Sochi attempt to claim a 10th Olympic medal, finishing fourth. One more medal will put her alongside cross-country skiers Stefania Belmondo (ITA) and Raisa Smetanina (USSR/Unified) as the most decorated female Winter Olympians of all time.
Jilleanne Rookard placed 10th, 9.68 seconds behind the pace set by Wust, to lead the Americans.
SPEED SKATING – WOMEN’S 3000m
1. Irene Wust (NED), 4:00.34
2. Martina Sablikova (CZE), 4:01.95
3. Olga Graf (RUS), 4:03.47
10. Jilleanne Rookard (USA), 4:10.02
26. Anna Ringsred (USA), 4:21.51
- Stephen Colbert and the Olympics 0
- U.S. will bid for 2024 Olympics, no city chosen yet 5
- Adrian Peterson won’t try for Olympics, but other RBs might 2
- Rio Olympic track and field schedule released 1
- Rome to bid for 2024 Olympics, possible events in Vatican City 0
- Yuzuru Hanyu repeats as Grand Prix Final champion (video) 0
- Ashley Wagner denies Russian sweep at Grand Prix Final (video) 0
- Emotional Bode Miller medals in race that mattered most (61)
- Russian women kissing after relay victory at World Championships causes stir (60)
- IOC drops wrestling from 2020 Olympics (47)
- South Korea filing official complaint over Yuna Kim’s Olympic silver (39)
- Zola Budd, 47, dominates college runners in 5K (33)