Feb 9, 2014, 5:47 AM EST
Today’s women’s snowboard slopestyle final (won by Jamie Anderson of the U.S.) took a scary turn when Czech Republic rider Sarka Pancochova took a hard fall in her second and last run.
Pancochova was in medal contention before the fall, which saw her head whip back and hit the slope. Medical officials quickly tended to her when her slide stopped, but after a few moments, Pancochova got back up and completed the run to the relief and cheers of the crowd at Rosa Khutor.
Afterwards, it was revealed that her silver helmet had actually split open thanks to the impact on the fall.
Pancochova wound up fifth on the strength of her first run of the final, which netted a score of 86.25.
- Katie Ledecky faces decisions in 2015, 2016 0
- Michael Phelps back in the pool; Phelps, Ledecky win Golden Goggles 2
- Viktor Tikhonov, Soviet Union Olympic hockey coach, dies at 84 1
- Sun Yang failed drug test, served three-month ban 0
- Rio 2016 Olympic, Paralympic mascots unveiled (video) 0
- Maksim Kovtun rallies to win Trophee Bompard (video); Grand Prix Final picture 0
- Ashley Wagner in Grand Prix Final fight after finishing behind Russians at Trophee Bompard (video) 0
- Emotional Bode Miller medals in race that mattered most (61)
- Russian women kissing after relay victory at World Championships causes stir (60)
- IOC drops wrestling from 2020 Olympics (47)
- South Korea filing official complaint over Yuna Kim’s Olympic silver (39)
- Zola Budd, 47, dominates college runners in 5K (33)