Feb 9, 2014, 5:47 AM EST
Today’s women’s snowboard slopestyle final (won by Jamie Anderson of the U.S.) took a scary turn when Czech Republic rider Sarka Pancochova took a hard fall in her second and last run.
Pancochova was in medal contention before the fall, which saw her head whip back and hit the slope. Medical officials quickly tended to her when her slide stopped, but after a few moments, Pancochova got back up and completed the run to the relief and cheers of the crowd at Rosa Khutor.
Afterwards, it was revealed that her silver helmet had actually split open thanks to the impact on the fall.
Pancochova wound up fifth on the strength of her first run of the final, which netted a score of 86.25.
- Maksim Kovtun rallies to win Trophee Bompard; Grand Prix Final picture 0
- Ashley Wagner in Grand Prix Final fight after finishing behind Russians at Trophee Bompard 0
- Angelina Jolie showed Louis Zamperini scenes of ‘Unbroken’ on hospital bed 0
- Joss Christensen becomes ‘mountain man’ since Sochi Olympics 0
- IOC proposes adding Olympic events, bid reforms 0
- Ryan Lochte: I have no doubt Michael Phelps will come back 1
- Doha gets 2019 World Track and Field Championships over Eugene, Barcelona 2
- Emotional Bode Miller medals in race that mattered most (61)
- Russian women kissing after relay victory at World Championships causes stir (60)
- IOC drops wrestling from 2020 Olympics (47)
- South Korea filing official complaint over Yuna Kim’s Olympic silver (39)
- Zola Budd, 47, dominates college runners in 5K (33)