Feb 8, 2014, 9:10 AM EST
Sven Kramer won the men’s 5000m in 6:10.76, defending his 2010 gold medal in the distance and earning his fifth career Olympic medal.
And more adulation from the Dutch.
Kramer, 27, is one of the world’s finest speed skaters and a massive celebrity in the Netherlands, a country where speed skating is a major sport. That helps explain why #svenkramer started trending worldwide on Twitter after his victory.
Not that Kramer was the only story.
It was an all orange podium, as fellow Dutch skaters Jan Blokhuijsen and Jorrit Bergsma finished second and third, respectively. It was Bergsma’s first career Olympic medal and Blokhuijsen’s second.
- Maksim Kovtun rallies to win Trophee Bompard; Grand Prix Final picture 0
- Ashley Wagner in Grand Prix Final fight after finishing behind Russians at Trophee Bompard 0
- Angelina Jolie showed Louis Zamperini scenes of ‘Unbroken’ on hospital bed 0
- Joss Christensen becomes ‘mountain man’ since Sochi Olympics 0
- IOC proposes adding Olympic events, bid reforms 0
- Ryan Lochte: I have no doubt Michael Phelps will come back 1
- Doha gets 2019 World Track and Field Championships over Eugene, Barcelona 2
- Emotional Bode Miller medals in race that mattered most (61)
- Russian women kissing after relay victory at World Championships causes stir (60)
- IOC drops wrestling from 2020 Olympics (47)
- South Korea filing official complaint over Yuna Kim’s Olympic silver (39)
- Zola Budd, 47, dominates college runners in 5K (33)