Feb 8, 2014, 9:10 AM EDT
Sven Kramer won the men’s 5000m in 6:10.76, defending his 2010 gold medal in the distance and earning his fifth career Olympic medal.
And more adulation from the Dutch.
Kramer, 27, is one of the world’s finest speed skaters and a massive celebrity in the Netherlands, a country where speed skating is a major sport. That helps explain why #svenkramer started trending worldwide on Twitter after his victory.
Not that Kramer was the only story.
It was an all orange podium, as fellow Dutch skaters Jan Blokhuijsen and Jorrit Bergsma finished second and third, respectively. It was Bergsma’s first career Olympic medal and Blokhuijsen’s second.
- Oscar Pistorius sentenced to maximum 5 years in prison 3
- The jump for the ages: Mike Powell, Bob Beamon and a revered world record 0
- Apolo Ohno on Ironman: A milestone among my 8 Olympic medals 1
- Beijing Marathon run through smog (video, photos) 0
- Aksel Lund Svindal injured playing soccer, likely out most of season 0
- Justin Gatlin not among IAAF Athlete of the Year award finalists 0
- Noelle Pikus-Pace: I already miss skeleton, but happily retired 0
- Emotional Bode Miller medals in race that mattered most (61)
- Russian women kissing after relay victory at World Championships causes stir (60)
- IOC drops wrestling from 2020 Olympics (47)
- South Korea filing official complaint over Yuna Kim’s Olympic silver (39)
- Zola Budd, 47, dominates college runners in 5K (33)