Feb 8, 2014, 9:10 AM EDT
Sven Kramer won the men’s 5000m in 6:10.76, defending his 2010 gold medal in the distance and earning his fifth career Olympic medal.
And more adulation from the Dutch.
Kramer, 27, is one of the world’s finest speed skaters and a massive celebrity in the Netherlands, a country where speed skating is a major sport. That helps explain why #svenkramer started trending worldwide on Twitter after his victory.
Not that Kramer was the only story.
It was an all orange podium, as fellow Dutch skaters Jan Blokhuijsen and Jorrit Bergsma finished second and third, respectively. It was Bergsma’s first career Olympic medal and Blokhuijsen’s second.
- U.S. teams sweep World Series of Beach Volleyball (video) 0
- UPDATE: Noelle Pikus-Pace’s brother and his children found in Idaho 0
- Kerri Walsh Jennings, April Ross make WSOBV final 0
- Usain Bolt arrives in Glasgow, says he’s injury free 0
- Queen photobombs Commonwealth Games athlete selfie 0
- Brazil eyes 27 to 30 medals at Rio Olympics 0
- Usain Bolt not happy with Tyson Gay’s reduced ban 1
- Emotional Bode Miller medals in race that mattered most (61)
- Russian women kissing after relay victory at World Championships causes stir (56)
- IOC drops wrestling from 2020 Olympics (47)
- South Korea filing official complaint over Yuna Kim’s Olympic silver (38)
- Zola Budd, 47, dominates college runners in 5K (33)