Feb 8, 2014, 3:40 AM EDT
Ready or not, it’s time for Olympic athletes to go for the gold.
Five medal events take place at Sochi on Saturday, with the snowboard slopestyle finals kicking it all off at 3:45 a.m. ET. Favorites Max Parrot and Mark McMorris hope to win the first-ever gold in the event while Sage Kotsenburg represents the U.S. after a strong semifinals run.
Women’s Skiathlon 7.5km Classic and 7.5km Free, 5 a.m. ET
Norway’s Marit Bjoergen dominated the 2010 Olympics, nabbing three gold medals and five medals overall. Fellow Norwegian Therese Johaug may very well represent her best cross-country competition.
Men’s 5,000m – 6:30 a.m. ET
The United States is hoping to score a lot of speed skating medals, but Jonathan Kuck & Co. remain a longshot at 5,000 meters. Sven Kramer hopes to add to his legacy but a field including Denis Yuskov hope to take the gold instead.
Men’s 10K Sprint, 9 a.m. ET
America hasn’t ever won a medal in biathlon, but that pursuit begins on Saturday. French biathlete Martin Fourcade may laugh off Michael Phelps comparisons, yet he could very well bring in quite the collection of medals himself.
Women’s moguls final, 1 p.m. ET
Can Hannah Kearney continue her impressive run with a second moguls gold? She’s been outstanding, but she’ll need to overcome a field that includes the formidable Dufour-Lapointe sisters (Chloe, Justine and Maxime).
- Misty May-Treanor competes for first time in 3 years, not a comeback 0
- Katinka Hosszu, Sarah Sjostrom break records; Missy Franklin, Ryan Lochte make finals at World Championships 0
- Katie Ledecky breaks 1500m freestyle world record again 1
- Katie Ledecky, Sun Yang open quests for history with golds at World Championships 0
- Gwen Jorgensen, Sarah True make 2016 U.S. Olympic triathlon team 0
- USOC to talk with other three finalists to replace Boston 2024 Olympic bid 1
- World Swimming Championships women’s preview 0
- Emotional Bode Miller medals in race that mattered most (61)
- Russian women kissing after relay victory at World Championships causes stir (60)
- IOC drops wrestling from 2020 Olympics (47)
- South Korea filing official complaint over Yuna Kim’s Olympic silver (39)
- Zola Budd, 47, dominates college runners in 5K (33)