Feb 8, 2014, 6:03 AM EST
The “Iron Lady” has struck gold again in Sochi, as Norway’s Marit Bjorgen has won the women’s skiathlon.
Bjorgen claimed her fourth Olympic gold and eighth Olympic medal overall by a margin of 1.8 seconds over silver medalist Charlotte Kalla of Sweden and by 13.2 seconds over bronze medalist Heidi Weng of Norway.
Jessie Diggins, one-half of the reigning world team sprint champions with Kikkan Randall, finished eighth at just more than a minute and a half behind Bjoergen to lead the Americans.
“Normally in pursuit races, I fall so far behind in the classic [portion] that I take myself out for the race because I’m a strong [free] skater,” Diggins said to NBC after her first Olympic race.
“But today, I…had a great plan from the coaches and fantastic skis, and I was able to hang on in the classic part. Then in the skate – just systematically work and ramp it up, picking people off one by one. Luckily, at the end, I had just enough energy for a strong finish.”
1. Marit Bjorgen (NOR), 38:33.6
2. Charlotte Kalla (SWE), +1.8 seconds
3. Heidi Weng (NOR), +13.2 seconds
4. Therese Johaug (NOR), +14.6 seconds
5. Aino-Kaisa Saarinen (FIN), +15.3 seconds
8. Jessie Diggins (USA), +1:31.9
12. Elizabeth Stephen (USA), +1:36.0
31. Sadie Bjornsen (USA), +2:36.1
47. Holly Brooks (USA), +4:00.4
Nov 22, 2014, 4:24 PM EST
It’s unlikely a U.S. man will qualify for the Grand Prix Final.
Nov 22, 2014, 9:05 AM EST
“i just don’t want to puke,” Wagner said.
Nov 21, 2014, 3:10 PM EST
This year’s winners came from unprecedented nations and events.
Nov 21, 2014, 2:24 PM EST
Wagner could match a Michelle Kwan feat at the French event.
Nov 21, 2014, 8:59 AM EST
“Unbroken” film about Olympian and World War II hero comes out on Christmas.
Nov 20, 2014, 5:34 PM EST
Young Dmitry Melnichenko lost the match, then lost his cool.
Nov 20, 2014, 4:57 PM EST
Olympic ski slopestyle champion uses a chainsaw every day.
Nov 20, 2014, 3:03 PM EST
Vito thought he had what it took to make the Olympic team, but judges didn’t see it the same way.
Nov 19, 2014, 11:30 PM EST
Olympic champion could face the only woman who beat her in the quarterfinals.
Nov 19, 2014, 8:25 PM EST
“I don’t really want to race unless I have a shot at winning.”
Nov 19, 2014, 1:40 PM EST
Her name could be “erased from the list of participants,” IOC president said.
Nov 19, 2014, 11:29 AM EST
Eight stadium events will have morning finals, a first for Olympic track and field since 1988.
Nov 18, 2014, 4:11 PM EST
The IOC will vote on 40 proposed changes to the Olympics in December.
Nov 18, 2014, 4:01 PM EST
Also, Natalie Coughlin said she reached out to Phelps.
Nov 18, 2014, 3:52 PM EST
Four years ago, Michael Phelps’ coach said Lochte was the world’s best swimmer.
Nov 18, 2014, 9:23 AM EST
U.S. has never hosted the World Outdoor Track and Field Championships.
Nov 17, 2014, 4:35 PM EST
Olympic silver medalist’s partner in London was April Ross, who is now with Kerri Walsh Jennings.
Nov 17, 2014, 4:18 PM EST
Both could make history at Rio Olympics.
Nov 17, 2014, 1:42 PM EST
Miller hopes to return one week before the one storied race he has never won.
Nov 17, 2014, 1:16 PM EST
Swede being inducted into Hall of Fame authored one of the iconic Olympic moments in 1994.
- Maksim Kovtun rallies to win Trophee Bompard; Grand Prix Final picture 0
- Ashley Wagner in Grand Prix Final fight after finishing behind Russians at Trophee Bompard 0
- Angelina Jolie showed Louis Zamperini scenes of ‘Unbroken’ on hospital bed 0
- Joss Christensen becomes ‘mountain man’ since Sochi Olympics 0
- IOC proposes adding Olympic events, bid reforms 0
- Ryan Lochte: I have no doubt Michael Phelps will come back 1
- Doha gets 2019 World Track and Field Championships over Eugene, Barcelona 2
- Emotional Bode Miller medals in race that mattered most (61)
- Russian women kissing after relay victory at World Championships causes stir (60)
- IOC drops wrestling from 2020 Olympics (47)
- South Korea filing official complaint over Yuna Kim’s Olympic silver (39)
- Zola Budd, 47, dominates college runners in 5K (33)