Feb 8, 2014, 6:03 AM EDT
The “Iron Lady” has struck gold again in Sochi, as Norway’s Marit Bjorgen has won the women’s skiathlon.
Bjorgen claimed her fourth Olympic gold and eighth Olympic medal overall by a margin of 1.8 seconds over silver medalist Charlotte Kalla of Sweden and by 13.2 seconds over bronze medalist Heidi Weng of Norway.
Jessie Diggins, one-half of the reigning world team sprint champions with Kikkan Randall, finished eighth at just more than a minute and a half behind Bjoergen to lead the Americans.
“Normally in pursuit races, I fall so far behind in the classic [portion] that I take myself out for the race because I’m a strong [free] skater,” Diggins said to NBC after her first Olympic race.
“But today, I…had a great plan from the coaches and fantastic skis, and I was able to hang on in the classic part. Then in the skate – just systematically work and ramp it up, picking people off one by one. Luckily, at the end, I had just enough energy for a strong finish.”
1. Marit Bjorgen (NOR), 38:33.6
2. Charlotte Kalla (SWE), +1.8 seconds
3. Heidi Weng (NOR), +13.2 seconds
4. Therese Johaug (NOR), +14.6 seconds
5. Aino-Kaisa Saarinen (FIN), +15.3 seconds
8. Jessie Diggins (USA), +1:31.9
12. Elizabeth Stephen (USA), +1:36.0
31. Sadie Bjornsen (USA), +2:36.1
47. Holly Brooks (USA), +4:00.4
- Boston Marathon preview: Can Meb Keflezighi repeat? 0
- Michael Phelps jokingly challenges Katie Ledecky to race 0
- Debbie Phelps texted Michael Phelps about Rio 2016 years ago (video) 0
- Yevgeny Plushenko to return to figure skating competition 1
- Michael Phelps back with ‘OK’ victory in Mesa 1
- Michael Phelps could be offered World Championships spot by FINA 0
- Eugene gets 2021 World Track and Field Championships 0
- Emotional Bode Miller medals in race that mattered most (61)
- Russian women kissing after relay victory at World Championships causes stir (60)
- IOC drops wrestling from 2020 Olympics (47)
- South Korea filing official complaint over Yuna Kim’s Olympic silver (39)
- Zola Budd, 47, dominates college runners in 5K (33)