Feb 2, 2014, 8:33 PM EDT
Kaitlyn Farrington’s parents did whatever they could to help their daughter make it to Sochi. As this video from NBC Olympics.com reveals, affording Olympic-level training meant selling off cows from the family farm in Sunny Valley, Idaho.
In fact, the 24-year-old women’s halfpipe competitor admits that it cost them all of their cows.
” … Every week before [a] snowboard trip – on Wednesdays, I think – was the cattle sales. We’d load a cow up into the trailer before I went to school, and he’d take it to the cattle sale and sell it. And that was my money to go on that weekend trip to go compete,” Farrington told NBCOlympics.com. “We don’t have any cows left after the whole thing happened. Both my parents were just so supportive and knew that I loved snowboarding so much. And so they wanted to see me do well.”
Much like fellow U.S. halfpipe contender Arielle Gold, this will be Farrington’s Olympic debut. Joining mainstays Kelly Clark and Hannah Teter may seem intimidating on paper, but the group insists they’re very close, with Clark noting that they “genuinely care about one another.”
“I don’t think anyone tries to keep secrets about [the tricks they’re working on],” Farrington said. “I think watching somebody do something inspires [me]. If you’ve never done that trick, you want to do it or make yours better because [you think], ‘Wow, that was awesome. I wish mine was like that.’”
When asked about her other favorite sports, Farrington named golf and surfing because they provide her with such humbling experiences (being that she isn’t very good at them).
Considering the sacrifices her family made to help her get to this level, it probably shouldn’t come as a surprise that she values being humbled every now and then.
- Usain Bolt may retire after Rio Olympics 0
- Usain Bolt crushes Justin Gatlin in World Championships 200m 1
- Allyson Felix wins 400m, breaks U.S. record for Worlds medals; Rio preview? 0
- Usain Bolt and Justin Gatlin’s first race together from 2005 (video) 0
- Los Angeles 2024 Olympic bid logo, renderings released 0
- Usain Bolt, Justin Gatlin set up duel; South African stretchered off after 400m gold 0
- U.S. goes medal-less at World Championships; Bolt, Gatlin, Felix advance 0
- Emotional Bode Miller medals in race that mattered most (63)
- Russian women kissing after relay victory at World Championships causes stir (60)
- IOC drops wrestling from 2020 Olympics (47)
- South Korea filing official complaint over Yuna Kim’s Olympic silver (39)
- Zola Budd, 47, dominates college runners in 5K (33)