Feb 1, 2014, 10:57 AM EDT
Canadian figure skater Patrick Chan, who’s coming off a fifth-place performance on home ice at Vancouver in 2010 and is considered a gold medal contender at Sochi, may have provided some old-fashioned “bulletin board material” for three-time Olympic medalist Yevgeny Plushenko.
In comments made to R-Sport, Chan admitted to being perhaps “a little more nervous” with Plushenko competing at Sochi after he got the Russian Olympic nod over Maksim Kovtun, who beat Plushenko in the country’s national championships.
However, he also added that in his eyes, Plushenko represents perhaps more of a “distraction” than direct competition for Sochi gold.
“It’s going to be a challenge for me to stay focused on what I have to do myself and what I know I can do in my programs – not in the aspect that [Plushenko] could challenge me for a gold medal but he’s maybe a bit of a distraction,” he said. “I don’t get to see him really much.”
He’s right about that. The last time Chan and Plushenko skated against each other came in a 2012 exhibition, and in regards to an official event, they haven’t competed together since the 2010 Olympics, where Plushenko finished runner-up to American Evan Lysacek (not participating in Sochi due to injury).
Plushenko locked up his Olympic spot after holding a closed-door test skate in front of Russian officials last month.
Figure skating competition is set to begin on Thursday with men’s and pairs short programs as part of the new Olympic team event. After the team event concludes Feb. 9, the men’s individual competition will take place Feb. 13 (short program) and 14 (free skate).
- Bruce Jenner: I’m a woman; Olympians react 4
- Michael Phelps to move to Arizona with coach Bob Bowman 0
- Simone Biles discusses Martha Karolyi’s team selfie, U.S. teammates, more 0
- Usain Bolt: Tyson Gay’s reduced ban ‘the stupidest thing I’ve ever heard’ 0
- Doug E. Doug reflects on ‘Cool Runnings’ 0
- Nadia Comaneci: Simone Biles’ difficulty is almost equal to men 0
- Ten sports where Brazil can win medals at Rio 2016 0
- Emotional Bode Miller medals in race that mattered most (61)
- Russian women kissing after relay victory at World Championships causes stir (60)
- IOC drops wrestling from 2020 Olympics (47)
- South Korea filing official complaint over Yuna Kim’s Olympic silver (39)
- Zola Budd, 47, dominates college runners in 5K (33)