Jan 31, 2014, 9:56 AM EST
While acknowledging the inherent risk that comes with “large international gatherings,” President Barack Obama has said in an interview with CNN that he believes the Olympics are safe.
When CNN asked Obama what he would say to friends wanting to attend the competition in Sochi, he said: “I’d tell them that I believe that Sochi is safe and that there are always some risks in these large international gatherings.”
Security concerns remain paramount for officials. Obama expressed his confidence that Russian security forces can protect everyone involved with and attending the competition.
“The Russian authorities understand the stakes here,” he said in the TV interview. “They understand that there are potential threats that are out there, and we are coordinating with them. We’ve looked at their plans.
“I think we have a good sense of the security that they are putting in place to protect not only the athletes themselves, but also visitors there.”
Obama did advise American citizens traveling to Sochi to check with the U.S. State Department before they go and see about what “prudent measures” they can take to help ensure their safety.
Obama and his family will not be attending the Olympics.
- Maksim Kovtun rallies to win Trophee Bompard; Grand Prix Final picture 0
- Ashley Wagner in Grand Prix Final fight after finishing behind Russians at Trophee Bompard 0
- Angelina Jolie showed Louis Zamperini scenes of ‘Unbroken’ on hospital bed 0
- Joss Christensen becomes ‘mountain man’ since Sochi Olympics 0
- IOC proposes adding Olympic events, bid reforms 0
- Ryan Lochte: I have no doubt Michael Phelps will come back 1
- Doha gets 2019 World Track and Field Championships over Eugene, Barcelona 2
- Emotional Bode Miller medals in race that mattered most (61)
- Russian women kissing after relay victory at World Championships causes stir (60)
- IOC drops wrestling from 2020 Olympics (47)
- South Korea filing official complaint over Yuna Kim’s Olympic silver (39)
- Zola Budd, 47, dominates college runners in 5K (33)