Jan 30, 2014, 10:27 AM EDT
Arsenio Hall called it “curling to the ghetto.”
The talk show host welcomed USA Curling’s honorary captain and San Francisco 49ers Pro Bowl tight end Vernon Davis to his talk show Wednesday. Davis taught Hall the finer points of the sport.
“I hope my pants don’t rip,” Davis said as he bent down in his suit to throw a stone on the set.
Hall appeared to be a quick learner to sweeping. Before the demonstration, Davis confirmed that he would be going to Sochi.
What will be his responsibility there?
“Awareness,” Davis said. “A lot of African-American young men, they don’t know what curling is. … It’s all about helping the next individual, next person advance in life.”
Davis also recalled the story of how he learned about curling.
“One of the beat writers came up to me in the locker room three or four years ago,” he said. “She said, ‘Vernon, you should come out and try this sport.’ She was like, ‘It’s called curling.’ I was like, ‘What is that?'”
Davis gave it a shot, and two weeks later he was asked to be an honorary Team USA curling captain. He went to Vancouver and wore a USA jacket with his last name on the back, but he was mistaken for U.S. speed skater Shani Davis.
This year, they’ll throw his first initial on the jacket.
- Oscar Pistorius sentenced to maximum 5 years in prison 0
- The jump for the ages: Mike Powell, Bob Beamon and a revered world record 0
- Apolo Ohno on Ironman: A milestone among my 8 Olympic medals 1
- Beijing Marathon run through smog (video, photos) 0
- Aksel Lund Svindal injured playing soccer, likely out most of season 0
- Justin Gatlin not among IAAF Athlete of the Year award finalists 0
- Noelle Pikus-Pace: I already miss skeleton, but happily retired 0
- Emotional Bode Miller medals in race that mattered most (61)
- Russian women kissing after relay victory at World Championships causes stir (60)
- IOC drops wrestling from 2020 Olympics (47)
- South Korea filing official complaint over Yuna Kim’s Olympic silver (39)
- Zola Budd, 47, dominates college runners in 5K (33)