Jan 30, 2014, 2:57 PM EST
The Justice Department intends to seek the death penalty against Dzhokhar Tsarnaev, who faces 30 charges over the Boston Marathon bombings April 15.
Tsarnaev, 20, awaits a trial on charges that he and his brother, Tamerlan, carried out the bombings that killed three people and injured more than 250 more. He is also charged with killing an MIT campus police officer.
Tamerlan died in a police shootout April 19 at age 26.
- Viktor Tikhonov, Soviet Union Olympic hockey coach, dies at 84 0
- Sun Yang failed drug test, served three-month ban 0
- Rio 2016 Olympic, Paralympic mascots unveiled (video) 0
- Maksim Kovtun rallies to win Trophee Bompard; Grand Prix Final picture 0
- Ashley Wagner in Grand Prix Final fight after finishing behind Russians at Trophee Bompard 0
- Angelina Jolie showed Louis Zamperini scenes of ‘Unbroken’ on hospital bed 1
- Joss Christensen becomes ‘mountain man’ since Sochi Olympics 0
- Emotional Bode Miller medals in race that mattered most (61)
- Russian women kissing after relay victory at World Championships causes stir (60)
- IOC drops wrestling from 2020 Olympics (47)
- South Korea filing official complaint over Yuna Kim’s Olympic silver (39)
- Zola Budd, 47, dominates college runners in 5K (33)