Jan 26, 2014, 8:40 AM EDT
Steven Holcomb won his first World Cup four-man bobsled race outside North America in more than four years, taking the final event of the season in Konigssee, Germany, on Sunday.
Holcomb and the Night Train 2 crew posted a two-run time of 1 minute, 38.54 seconds. Swiss Beat Hefti was second, .09 behind, followed by Canadian Lyndon Rush.
“We made some changes to the sled,” Holcomb said. “It’s running really well. Two awesome pushes from my guys. This is [push athlete] Curt’s [Tomasevicz] last [World Cup] race, wanted to go out with a bang.”
Holcomb will look for his first Olympic two-man gold from Feb. 16-17 and his second straight Olympic four-man title on Feb. 22-23.
He’s done well this World Cup season, winning the two-man title and finishing second in the four-man standings, his highest finishes in four years.
Holcomb also snapped four-year winless droughts on tracks outside North America in two- and four-man. His last four-man World Cup win was Dec. 13, 2009.
1. Steven Holcomb (USA) 1:38.54
2. Beat Hefti (SUI) 1:38.63
3. Lyndon Rush (CAN) 1:38.84
10. Nick Cunningham (USA) 1:39.21
Sep 4, 2015, 7:57 AM EDT
Merritt left the hospital less than a week after winning a bronze medal in Beijing.
Sep 3, 2015, 4:46 PM EDT
Canadian sprint sensation plans to compete collegiately in 2015-16.
Sep 3, 2015, 3:49 PM EDT
Shelly-Ann Fraser-Pryce, David Rudisha and Wayde van Niekerk were among the Beijing stars in Diamond League action.
Sep 3, 2015, 12:08 PM EDT
The course designer attached a camera to his helmet and traversed the dirt, rocks, going over a bridge and through a tunnel.
Sep 3, 2015, 11:38 AM EDT
The 2016 U.S. Olympic team is now at eight athletes across all sports.
Sep 2, 2015, 4:02 PM EDT
The four-time U.S. champion isn’t retiring yet.
Sep 2, 2015, 3:37 PM EDT
Some of the names most associated with Los Angeles professional sports teams are Olympians.
Sep 2, 2015, 11:27 AM EDT
One event includes 2015 World champions from three different events.
Sep 2, 2015, 10:00 AM EDT
“I can hardly imagine that it is possible given the schedule.”
Sep 2, 2015, 9:19 AM EDT
An African nation has never hosted an Olympics.
Sep 1, 2015, 5:11 PM EDT
Budapest, Hamburg, Paris and Rome previously announced bids.
Sep 1, 2015, 1:51 PM EDT
Walsh Jennings and April Ross will have little to no wiggle room in Olympic qualifying next year.
Sep 1, 2015, 12:36 PM EDT
She could become the second oldest Olympic singles player since the sport returned to the Games in 1988.
Sep 1, 2015, 8:58 AM EDT
A competition will be held to pick a new logo.
Aug 31, 2015, 4:20 PM EDT
Olympic champions came through and potential future Olympic stars broke out.
Aug 31, 2015, 2:47 PM EDT
One world record and many near marks on the track and in the field.
Aug 31, 2015, 12:09 PM EDT
Kidney failure, a Segway and goat blood.
Aug 30, 2015, 6:14 PM EDT
The Nigerian team is led by an NBA veteran.
Aug 30, 2015, 5:01 PM EDT
It can’t become official until later this week.
Aug 30, 2015, 10:25 AM EDT
“I’m going to cut the goat … and drink the blood.”
- Mixed results for World champions in Zurich 0
- Los Angeles’ ties to the Olympics 1
- Five events to watch at Zurich Diamond League 0
- Los Angeles 2024 Olympic bid is official 1
- Top ten storylines from World Track and Field Championships 0
- USOC, Los Angeles agree to 2024 Olympic bid, reports say 1
- U.S. finishes World Championships with fewest medals since 2003 3
- Emotional Bode Miller medals in race that mattered most (63)
- Russian women kissing after relay victory at World Championships causes stir (62)
- IOC drops wrestling from 2020 Olympics (47)
- South Korea filing official complaint over Yuna Kim’s Olympic silver (39)
- Zola Budd, 47, dominates college runners in 5K (33)