Jan 24, 2014, 1:56 PM EST
Lindsey Jacobellis won her eighth Winter X Games gold medal in snowboard cross Friday, breaking the record for most titles won by a woman in a Summer or Winter X Games career.
“It sounds pretty great,” Jacobellis said in Aspen, Colo., on ESPN3. “The last two years, what I’ve been through, it’s like the icing on the cake. Best confidence I can have going into Sochi.”
She previously shared the record of seven gold medals with Brazilian vert skater Fabiola da Silva.
Jacobellis came back from tearing the left ACL and meniscus at the 2012 X Games to reclaim her title. She’s now set up as a redemption story at the Sochi Olympics.
Jacobellis infamously cost herself gold at the 2006 Olympics. She led going into the next to last jump in Torino and attempted a stylish method grab, fell and crossed the finish in second.
She was disqualified in the semifinals of the 2010 Olympics, hitting a gate.
Jacobellis enters Sochi on a three-race World Cup podium streak and second in the overall standings to Canadian Dominique Maltais.
Two-time Olympian Nate Holland won the men’s snowboard cross final at the X Games later Friday, his seventh gold.
- Stephen Colbert and the Olympics 0
- U.S. will bid for 2024 Olympics, no city chosen yet 5
- Adrian Peterson won’t try for Olympics, but other RBs might 2
- Rio Olympic track and field schedule released 1
- Rome to bid for 2024 Olympics, possible events in Vatican City 0
- Yuzuru Hanyu repeats as Grand Prix Final champion (video) 0
- Ashley Wagner denies Russian sweep at Grand Prix Final (video) 0
- Emotional Bode Miller medals in race that mattered most (61)
- Russian women kissing after relay victory at World Championships causes stir (60)
- IOC drops wrestling from 2020 Olympics (47)
- South Korea filing official complaint over Yuna Kim’s Olympic silver (39)
- Zola Budd, 47, dominates college runners in 5K (33)