Jan 24, 2014, 1:56 PM EDT
Lindsey Jacobellis won her eighth Winter X Games gold medal in snowboard cross Friday, breaking the record for most titles won by a woman in a Summer or Winter X Games career.
“It sounds pretty great,” Jacobellis said in Aspen, Colo., on ESPN3. “The last two years, what I’ve been through, it’s like the icing on the cake. Best confidence I can have going into Sochi.”
She previously shared the record of seven gold medals with Brazilian vert skater Fabiola da Silva.
Jacobellis came back from tearing the left ACL and meniscus at the 2012 X Games to reclaim her title. She’s now set up as a redemption story at the Sochi Olympics.
Jacobellis infamously cost herself gold at the 2006 Olympics. She led going into the next to last jump in Torino and attempted a stylish method grab, fell and crossed the finish in second.
She was disqualified in the semifinals of the 2010 Olympics, hitting a gate.
Jacobellis enters Sochi on a three-race World Cup podium streak and second in the overall standings to Canadian Dominique Maltais.
Two-time Olympian Nate Holland won the men’s snowboard cross final at the X Games later Friday, his seventh gold.
- Alpine skiing men’s World Cup preview 0
- Johnny Weir, Tara Lipinski preview Skate America 0
- Oscar Pistorius’ agent seeks prison meeting to discuss running future 1
- Alpine skiing women’s World Cup preview 0
- Johnny Weir, Tara Lipinski, Terry Gannon named NBC’s lead figure skating announcers 0
- Oscar Pistorius sentenced to maximum 5 years in prison 4
- The jump for the ages: Mike Powell, Bob Beamon and a revered world record 0
- Emotional Bode Miller medals in race that mattered most (61)
- Russian women kissing after relay victory at World Championships causes stir (60)
- IOC drops wrestling from 2020 Olympics (47)
- South Korea filing official complaint over Yuna Kim’s Olympic silver (39)
- Zola Budd, 47, dominates college runners in 5K (33)